The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front Suspension Alignment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Suspension Alignment
    Posted: 31-December-2010 at 3:25PM
Originally posted by cowboyupdjcarl cowboyupdjcarl wrote:

AFCO makes LOTS of control arms for MANY different race car applications.

IF someone had our dimensions then maybe we could get something close that works with minimal adjustments/fabrication/modifying

Would definitely be interesting to know.
04 Ford Lightning
72 GTS BB Stroker & Toploader
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 12:02PM
AFCO makes LOTS of control arms for MANY different race car applications.

IF someone had our dimensions then maybe we could get something close that works with minimal adjustments/fabrication/modifying
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 10:19AM
jim are you saying afco has upper control arms ?
michigan
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2010 at 7:56AM
Anyone know the dimensions on a stock 72-76 UCA?  I've seen the AFCO stuff lots but never knew the baseline for length and offset..

Jim
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Ranchero72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2010 at 6:25AM
excellent info in this thread!
'72 Ford Ranchero 500
-351C C4
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2010 at 12:41PM
YUP 3.5-5 caster is a good handling car.
Stock is closer to 0 in order to make it easier to turn the steering wheel.
Thats why it floats and wanders running down the road.

With the more caster it will run truer and not wander so much running down the road especially with new bushings everywhere and a good set of radial tires!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2010 at 9:30AM
a lot more caster
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2010 at 9:29AM
How does that compare to OEM?
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2010 at 8:39AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

I doubt the police versions got a different setup. I have the "Handling book" that someone build a ranchero, and did a few mods, will try to dig up the specs they set it to.

From the "Handling" book:

We recommend setting the alignment to the following: Caster +3 to +5 1/2, the more positive the
better. Camber 0 to -1/2. Set toe inn 1/16 inch to 1/8th. You'll need the toe closer to 1/8th if you're
using rubber bushings instead of polyurethane.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2010 at 6:27AM
 I've always gone by the "how to make your mid sized ford" booklet specs. I just hand the guy the booklet and show him the specs page. LOLI know they were different from OEM, but I forget how. 

Edited by Psquare75 - 29-December-2010 at 6:27AM
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2010 at 6:09AM
While I am at it, as far as big brakes...how big are you wanting to go?
Keep in mind, most guys, running the standard fair brakes, with the 12" rotor, you can get away with a 15" common wheel.
Once you step about that rotor size, expect to step to a minimum 17 inch wheel.

I don't want to get side tracks away from Ron's original request however.

Ron, to be honest, with the chassis our cars have, I don't recall anyone getting deeply involved on the alignment settings. Most tend to stay at the stock specifications.

I doubt the police versions got a different setup. I have the "Handling book" that someone build a ranchero, and did a few mods, will try to dig up the specs they set it to.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2010 at 6:05AM
Jim-
My thoughts, on the control arm package, you can get the materials to build the UCA from any circle track place, like Speedway Motors out of Lincoln, Nebraska.
Check this out, in the "garage sale" section...
Take your pick of prefabbed arms.
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2010 at 10:39AM

Why not a rod end at the LCA end, plus one inner on the LCA to frame then fully adjustable UCA's like the offer for the roundy round guys?  In that case, one could adjust caster, camber, track, etc and have a setup with no flex and very smooth articulation..   Anyone with some serious sparky skills and an alignment rig wanna fab/test some stuff?  Would be easy enough to bag or coilover or even change ball joints and hubs to use existing stuff from other applications to lower properly, use easy/cheap big brakes, lightweight and strong calipers, etc etc etc...

Jim
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2010 at 6:54AM
How far off are they?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2010 at 6:01AM
Ding Ding, man, the 68-70 strut rods almost look {sigh} like they are a bolt in...

stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2010 at 3:42AM
 dont use poly on the strut rods . i have seen too many bad storys and even disclaimers . you should be able to adjust that rod to drop in especially with rubber bushings.
michigan
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2010 at 12:31PM
Nice. Now, change the LCA mount plate, get some 3/8" thick plate and mill accordingly.

Once again, having issue loading the image.  Geek

Edited by Eliteman76 - 27-December-2010 at 12:34PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2010 at 6:45AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

I would take the strut rod, get a small diameter DOM tube, fish mouth the ends, burn the DOM tub to the strut rod to bulk it up , and replace the threaded area with a pivot kit like the road racing mustang crowd already have. Wink 

click on the pics to enlarge

looks like a go for adjustability

Edited by Rockatansky - 27-December-2010 at 6:47AM
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2010 at 6:29AM
From experince, I have waited till I had the full {or close to} weight on the front end.
-Insert inner rod bushing on.
-Insert rod into the front pocket.
-Attach the rods to the LCA, bolt some-what loosely.
-Once the front end is lowered down with weight on suspension, the rods should roll forward some what. With the suspension at full drop, the rod isn't going to be long enough {My understanding, but remember, I am fuzzy. It's been 5+ years since I had my front end off the car. 
-Insert outer bushing and washer, and tighted nut.
-Tighten LCA to rod nuts.

Myself, I have not run into the problem, that I can honestly recall.

On the topic of poly versus rubber, the 71-73 mustang uses a similar design.
There is a guy on Fordmuscle and TorinoCobra that has a very nice 71-73 Mustang, and he was in Hot Rod's Drag Week a few years back. Snapped a strut rod and it really did a hell of a number.

Myself, if I was a betting man, and really abuse my car {Yeah...like I don't Geek as is...}
I would take the strut rod, get a small diameter DOM tube, fish mouth the ends, burn the DOM tub to the strut rod to bulk it up , and replace the threaded area with a pivot kit like the road racing mustang crowd already have.
But that's just me.
While I am at it, put in a set of coil overs.
But, as I said before, I have a street car, nothing more. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2010 at 4:35AM
i'd pull the springs out and play with the range of motion, watching how the caster is affected with ride height 

i noticed on my frame that the drivers side has taken a hit and the bottom edge under the strut is bent backwards maybe 1/2"- 3/4" and may need to be pulled at the body shop... it's not unusual and it's the only way to correct a non-adjustable setting.

on my old 73 i recall using an an additional washer behing the nuts in an attempt to compress the rubber bushings a little more because they didn't seem to be compressed much if at all, and hopefully pull the strut a little farther forward
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2010 at 4:04AM
I have poly bushings in the control arms in both my cars and rubber on the lower rod. I know for a fact I just bolted it together (you'll have to force the lower control arm back a bit). I do remember fighting it to get together, however. Crank down the front nut and send it to the alignment shop once you have it assembled and ready for the street. These wheels don't sit totally square in the front wheel opening anyway

.  A BFPB (Big F!#$@ing  pry bar) and floor jack got mine in position. I too, had thoughts like you when I put mine together, but, it seems fine.

Paul
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2010 at 8:07PM
Now that lower strut can be a pain.. especially with the coils in. I did mine before the coils.

This is where the strength of this design comes from though. I am just guessing this is how it works. I did redo my car too so I have had it apart and to together but really don't know. It's how I would design it anyway.
Think of it as a triangle, the strut is the hypotenuse, that is a set length. The distance from the pivot point of the LCA (lower control arm) to the connection of the strut on the LCA is a leg, also a set length. The distance from pivot point of the LCA to the pivot point (big rubber bushing) of the strut on the frame is another leg, also a set length. So we have one solid, set angle triangle. You suspension is in it's most un-compressed form as of now, hitting the bump stop. So I know it doesn't make sense that the suspension would need to be compressed in order to get those bolts in on the strut or else the strut would bind before the UCA would hit that stop, but see the thing is, the rubber in all the bushing allows "play" almost everywhere, especially in the strut to frame mount which is not only an angle "play" but a distance "play".  Back to the triangle. So take this ridged triangle and put that on an angle creating a pyramid with the extra leg being the travel in the suspension and you have an adjustment that will change the "what used to be hypotenuse" of the first triangle. So lets say, right now, with the suspension uncompressed, you are "stretching" that strut which is actually compressing the outside strut bushing. when the car is at its stock ride height there is least force on either of the bushing but when you hit a backwards force on that LCA (pothole) things all "give" a bit, including the "length" of that strut.  

Bottom line is... find a way to compress that spring and play with the LCA until you get those bolts in.  You are going to scratch the paint if you are trying to GET it done, so just pry it around, bash it, what ever you got to do, but if you want show car status then take your time. Take things apart if needed. It will pay off in a show worthy result.

Sorry, I know that was probably lengthy and overly complex for no reason.  I just started typing and couldn't find a place to stop. Hope it makes sense.

Good luck! you sure are movin on the project. Looks great.
-Billy Conturo
mule323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mule323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2010 at 9:08AM
Not really adjustable  so to speak. The rod is a set length. On mine it just worked out that it didn't quite fall back into place when I changed all the bushings so I had to give my lower control arm some love with a ratchet strap to get it to align. Going to take it all back apart when it warms up a little and try to figure out what is causing it.
             (Steve)
73 G.T.S. Fastback, 351C, C6
Blueoval76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2010 at 8:37AM
Here is a question for you guys. This is a little part of our coil spring thread where we are trying to figure out my lean and what the heck I have for arms on it. On the pass. side where the arm we cant figure out is the wheel is further back in the well. As in the gap in the front of the tire to the fendser is wider than the back of the wheel. Is this adjustable by the strut rod?

Thanks,
Jesse

68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2010 at 7:38AM
From my experience, getting the strut rods to line up with the lower control arm is often a matter of jacking one part relative to the other to get the proper length. Since it is difficult to fasten the front bushing nut, you need to adjust the suspension to line up the two bolt mount to the lower control arm.

Try sticking a jack underneath the lower arm and raise it up to see if that helps. Often times when I am installing strut rods and sway bars I have a small floor jack to help me install.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2010 at 4:54AM
Originally posted by Ron Earp Ron Earp wrote:

Actually, what I need to fab up is a rod with a heim joint on the end that collects to the lower arm and a ball joint on the front. That way it'll articulate properly.

THAT is a GREAT idea for a track car! Should be VERY do-able and EASY to fab up!!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2010 at 4:48AM
Originally posted by stanman stanman wrote:

Doesn't this design help the car track in a straight line? The only example that comes to mind is a shopping cart. Maybe not the best example but the front wheels of a cart are sloped toward the rear so as you push it the wheels straighten up on their own. Wouldn't that work kinda the same on a car? That way even if you let go of the steering wheel, the wheels will want to stay pointing straight ahead.

NOPE!
Just the opposite!
You want the lower to be FORWARD of the upper(POSITIVE CASTER ANGLE) to get the car to track down the road straight and the wheel to "auto center" itself.

When the top is forward(NEGATIVE CASTER ANGLE)... shopping cart style it makes for EASY turning but VERY unstable at speed. Think about the shopping cart running down the road at high speed and the wheels FLIP FLOP WOBBLE!
The shopping cart set up was used on OLD BIG MANUAL steering cars so you could actually turn the wheels.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-December-2010 at 4:38PM
My money is on the fact it could have everything to do with the lack of weight on the front suspension.
I too think I may be going with rubber for those mounts, but I think I have to find better strut rods. I sandblasted and painted mine but I'm not overly comfortable with the pitting where the old bushings sat on the rod. 

Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
mule323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mule323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-December-2010 at 3:49PM
Ron, I noticed the exact same thing when assembling my 73 front suspension. I still haven't put exhaust on mine so I don't have enough road miles to see how it affects the steering/handling. I'm running poly bushings but will probably change those particular ones back to rubber soon just due to the reading I have done on them. I don't think it will change the location of the bolts any though. Mine were/are a good 1/2" off.
             (Steve)
73 G.T.S. Fastback, 351C, C6
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-December-2010 at 2:36PM
Originally posted by cowboyupdjcarl cowboyupdjcarl wrote:

Do you have the front nut tight?
When you tighten the front nut squishing the bushings it will move the arm forward and possibly line up the holes.

I don't think it will, or doesn't seem to.  I've messed around with both the rubber and hard bushings in there with the sleeves and it doesn't seem possible to pull it far enough forward to account for how much I have to move it back to accommodate the arm in the holes.

Now, the suspension is at full droop and the car not at ride height. I notice the upper arm is canted back to the rear a bit, which would tend to pull the upright to the rear when the car is on the suspension.

Positive caster results when the wheel trails the king pin inclination angle, like a shopping cart as you say, but to get king pin angle out in front of the wheel the upper arm has to be a little bit behind the lower arm.  This is as good a reference as any:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=105240981155&topic=14363

Not sure what is happening but I'm going to make it have positive caster. The right part in that front mount would be a ball and socket joint, a lot like a ball joint actually. I might look into doing something like that with a threaded sleeve to adjust it.

Actually, what I need to fab up is a rod with a heim joint on the end that collects to the lower arm and a ball joint on the front. That way it'll articulate properly.

Edited by Ron Earp - 25-December-2010 at 2:41PM
04 Ford Lightning
72 GTS BB Stroker & Toploader
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>