The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AOD Shift Indicator decals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AOD Shift Indicator decals
    Posted: 15-January-2011 at 4:14AM
At some point I will be swapping an AOD transmission into my car. I know a lot of other Torino/Ranchero folks have made this swap and some might have gone to a floor shifter and some might be just dealing with the P-R-N-D-2-1 on the column indicator. That would drive me nuts knowing that the correct sequence is P-R-N-OD-D-1. So I tried a few other vehicles to see what else has that indicator but with an OD pattern and nothing really does. The Econoline vans have it from 1980 up but that's a different, larger column. The indicator is too large to just snap onto a 72-79 car column. The plastic insert could be filed down to fit, but I figure I can just rub the numbers off and make a transparency decal to go over the clear plastic. Why not?

I made a file in GIMP using the most appropriate font I could find for free (Gautami Bold) and made the P, R, N, D, and 1. Then I made a slightly larger O and stuck a D on top of it. It's white on a transparent background and although I haven't put it on a path yet, here's an idea of what it looks like but placed on a black background:

This actually matches nearly perfectly the Econoline indicators shown here:

If I print one, I might as well print a thousand of them. I'll put them on eBay, but I'll offer them to forum members for free, sent first class mail. This is just an advance notice kinda, because I am nowhere near ready to do the swap. I have extra indicators from the wagon and from one I pulled from an Econoline. I'll be doing a lot of fine tuning to get it just right sizewise and then I'll start up the production lines, hahaha. I suppose I better make the same things for other models, like 67-72 pickups, older Falcons and Fairlanes, stuff like that. And it'll be easy to do. Then I get to buy adhesive transparencies and find a way to die cut them to a size that will make the edges disappear once installed (which won't apply to some models with no housing around the indicator.

edit: spoke too soon...now with my FMX failure I will be doing this a lot sooner...

Edited by occupant - 22-January-2011 at 1:41PM
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
 Post Reply Post Reply