The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

302 tranny

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 302 tranny
    Posted: 16-January-2011 at 11:57AM
I want to upgrade the tranny when i can, i'm not gonna go with a T5 as i will keep the bench
So, i'm wondering if i can use a later model tranny. I'd like a 4 or 5 speed automatic.
If you know one that will bolt on the 302 without any machining, it will be nice
Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2011 at 3:35PM
The best bet would be an AOD as there are Mustangers running in the 8's or better. The only thing is if you do end up getting one make sure never to run it without the kickdown cable hooked up as it is not a kickdown it is a throttle pressure valve cable. Just running it down the block without the cable adjusted properly or disconnected will kill it period. The only other trans is the 4R70W which is for the 96+ cars and I dont know that the 4.6 has the same bell bolt pattern as the 302.
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2011 at 7:07AM
Ilyes...

AOD, cheap readily available, can do shift kits, and reliable!

and to emphasize... MUST RUN THE CABLE!!
Do not even drive it around the block without it!
10 miles can DESTROY a fresh rebuild!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2011 at 7:32AM
is there any kind of C4 with at least 4 speeds around. I don't know if a tranny from a new stang boss 302 will have the same pattern. I'm looking also at the explorer, maybe something will be ok. I don't care about the gearing, i can change it
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2011 at 7:52AM
C5 is a 3 spd with a lock up converter that eliminates converter slippage once the car is up to speed on the road

73 GT Sport 429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 GT Sport 429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2011 at 3:34PM
Originally posted by ilyes ilyes wrote:

is there any kind of C4 with at least 4 speeds around. I don't know if a tranny from a new stang boss 302 will have the same pattern. I'm looking also at the explorer, maybe something will be ok. I don't care about the gearing, i can change it

C4's and C5's are 3 speed.
AOD/AODE, and E4OD are 4 speed.
AODE and E4OD are electronically controlled (shifted).
Mark

original owner-93 Lightning
73 Gran Torino Sport 429 (prodigal son)
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2011 at 6:32PM
AOD would be the way to go, but yea, I'd recommend getting the TV cable installed and adjusted properly before driving. I've heard nothing but burn-out nightmares if it is not.

An AOD (with the overdrive 4th gear) can save a ton of gas mileage for highway use.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2011 at 2:33AM
TV cable is easy to install. Here's a simple video describing the process. For our cars, we would have the truck style cable (how it attaches) even though it says fuel injection, that's what the cable we would use on a carb looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw

I'm sure more fine adjustments could be done, but this will prevent the transmission from destroying itself while you decide what to do with it.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
 Post Reply Post Reply