The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

starting an engine that hasnt run in a wile.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: starting an engine that hasnt run in a wile.
    Posted: 25-January-2011 at 2:05PM
so before I start tearing down the 68 302   I want to get it running to make sure it will run   so im not wasting my time.      now I have no idea when this engine last ran.    so far all I know is that it is not sized up I can turn it over by hand.    Taking in to consideration my plan to totally overhaul this engine and give it a mild build some time down the road.   What  do I need to go about doing to get it running right now?   

currently the engine is not hooked up in a car,      any input and help you guys can offer to help me out along the way would be great.
-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2011 at 2:57PM
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/prep-needed-to-start-engine-after-5-years_topic3272.html?KW=starting+an+engine

This is a recent discussion about the same issue. I think you'll find it a good primer (pun intended) to read as a start.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2011 at 3:55PM
Originally posted by GranTorinoSport GranTorinoSport wrote:

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/prep-needed-to-start-engine-after-5-years_topic3272.html?KW=starting+an+engine

This is a recent discussion about the same issue. I think you'll find it a good primer (pun intended) to read as a start.
Perfect Scott, thats the thread I was thinking of to look for and post.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2011 at 4:10PM
perfect,    I missed that one,   I found one that was brought up but it was more for a car that has recently been running.  thanks guys.
-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2011 at 4:55PM
you don't want the dry powdered residue in the float bowl to go through the carb, pull the carb off and go through it with a kit before you fuel it
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2011 at 4:59PM
I think with regard to an engine that has not been started in many years, in another thread I think there was discussion about actually taking a few days and doing some marvel / WD-40 / something soak and other tips.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2011 at 1:56AM
here's the story of a 351C I did a couple months ago that sat in a field and had not been fired up in years...

removed the spark plugs, 2 had insulators chunks broken off but was obvious it had been run that way for a while! Shot all cylinders with P'Blaster, checked the oil, verified it was in PARK, grabbed the fan blades and she rotated with hand pressure on the fan blades!
Put the battery from my brown 72 in it, jumped the solenoid and she cranked over strong!

Plug wires were chewed through, so I called O'Reilly's... 351C has the same distributor cap as the 302, so I put my dist cap and wires from my 302 on the 351C, re-wired for 351C firing order, ran a power wire direct from the battery to the coil, cranked it with a spark tester on the coil... NOTHING.
Called O'Reilly's, went and bought a set of points and condensor, put them in, set the gap by eye, cranked again and presto... SPARK!!
Poured some gas in the carb... FIRED UP!
pulled the gas line off the fuel filter, cranked again... no fuel.
Pulled off the filter... blew through it, it was clear, dropped a line from the fuel pump into a gas can, crank... fuel spurt!
4 screws on top of carb and the choke rod linkage screw removed, top of carb off, CLEAN INSIDE!
Cranked, fuel spurting in to the bowl, float works, needle not stuck, re-install carb top, shot of fuel in down the throat, crank and VVVVRRRRROOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!

Car fired right up, VERY little noise as the lifters primed and rockers got oil.
Idles smooth... BY ITSELF!!! No noises, rev it up... WOW STRONG SOUNDING SOLID MOTOR!

Smoke pouring out exhaust, P'Blaster had to burn off.
Walked around the back of the car and noticed HUGE piles of insulation and other stuffing blown all over the back of the garage... MOUSE NEST FILLED THE EXHAUST! NOT ANY MORE! I blew it all out!

Car had decent looking oil and antifreeze in it.
Ran for 10-15 minutes, smoke died down and stayed running great with NO HELP! GREAT IDLE!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2011 at 2:41AM
Carl, great details. I wish you were here to get my engine going. I would also like to see if my engine would run or should I just go for the re-build. I know it would be ALOT cheaper if I could just get this one going. My buddy that is supposed to come by and work on it ALWAYS says "Yeah I'll be there" but hasn't come by YET! I need to find a new buddy! LOL
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2011 at 8:31AM
Ya i'd basically do what Carl said unless you notice anything out of place about the oil or spark plugs, the chunks of insulator would worry me a bit. 
I fired up a chevy sb 400 after it had been sitting for more than 20 years in an abandon garage in the middle of the hood. Basically did exactly the Carl procedure but didn't take the carb off but found it had a stuck needle but was able to work it free and lube it up to a functioning state.  I don't know if I did any damage to the thing, probably trashed it but just take it easy for a while until you get a good oil change and make sure things are all functioning properly.

proof...
this was two years ago

Edited by Billy C - 26-January-2011 at 8:32AM
-Billy Conturo
Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2011 at 11:47AM
I must say that was very entertaining Billy! Lol! Thumbs Up
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2011 at 12:11PM
Billy, that is a GREAT video. I love how it is set to Rage Against the Machine. Appropriate!

Thanks for sharing that with us!
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2011 at 3:16PM
ok so I need to make a trip to Dallas and then to Occupant's?

HMMM? I would need a place to stay and pay expenses!

Hi, my name is Carl the traveling mechanic!
I wonder if I could find a good deal on something between here and there to drive back!!??
I could take some leave and be there next week!

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2011 at 3:23PM
Malone TX is 9 hours to Occupant's place.
Your's is between here and there.

$200 in gas.
or about $400 for a round trip plane ticket from Manhattan KS to Dallas then y'all would have to pick me up, put me up and feed me for a day or 2.

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2011 at 5:44PM
I'd hate to see the costs to get you up to Seattle!

Or wait... Ft. Lewis is close (Tacoma), you'd just need to find an excuse for a TDY (if they call them that in the Army, just using Air Force terminology) for travel and lodging expenses, then I'd just have to foot the bill for local transportation and entertainment/food!
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2011 at 6:06PM
i've started a zillion sitting for years engines and many siezed engines . to keep it simple what carl said . glad the pole didnt take out the kid Censored

Edited by stuck - 26-January-2011 at 6:13PM
michigan
 Post Reply Post Reply