The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modular Drivetrain Into '76 Torino

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2011 at 4:47AM
Thats true...only SOHC.   Thats why Roush put in a DOHC cobra power train in the Crown Vic track vehicles they built for Bondurant driving school
-John
1973 GTS
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2011 at 6:50AM
I stand corrected. What I meant to say was that I wanted the better engine found in the late model PI cars. Sometimes my mind outraces my typing skills.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2011 at 7:10AM
In 1999 the F-Series 5.4-2V and the Mustang 4.6-2V upgraded to PI

2001 for the F150 4.6 and Crown Vic according to the WIKI

and as mentioned the R&P steering came in 2003. mine has the aluminum
front end components but they got changed to steel at some point

Edited by Rockatansky - 25-February-2011 at 7:12AM
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2011 at 7:24AM
is the 1976 Torino a 2 door?

wheelbase for the standard Crown Vic is 114.7" and 120.7" for the LWB version

wheelbase for the 2 door Torino is 114.0" and 118.0" for the more-door

the extra 0.7" would help center the front tire... just about perfect! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2011 at 9:24AM
My car is a 2 door. I am pretty pumped at the thought of getting this car on the road with modern mechanics. I remember getting around 16 mpg out of the Windsor on a trip years ago, but would like to squeeze more out of it. A 2005-07 is what I would like for the aluminum front suspension and reasonable mileage on the drivetrain. If this turns out well, I may use it more often than I think, given the fact that I work less than 6 miles away from home. I always loved that car, but it was using a quart of straight Kendall 50 wt every 2 weeks when I parked it and the haze pulling away from stoplights was embarrasing - even to a 20 year old.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2011 at 10:13AM
www.p71interceptor.com/

This site has great pictures of the late model Crown Vic chassis. Itried to put it on here, but with all the pics, it was a no-go. Will keep researching.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2011 at 12:45PM
Originally posted by Blueoval76 Blueoval76 wrote:

Sounds like an episode of West Coast Customs!! Lol! They have done exactly that more than once.

while reading this thread, i was thinking the same thing.  i actually have been watching street customs (west coast customs) this week on netflix and saw an episode where they dropped a 67 or 68 charger body onto a 2008 charger "frame".  this really has intrigued me.  i wish they showed more of the work and less of the inter-shop drama crap.   all the reality car shows are like this though. 

72project View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72project Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2011 at 3:46PM
Here is a pic of my DOHC hanging in the engine bay for the inital size up.  To get it in there that low I had to remove the oil pan, and motor mounts.  Gives you an idea of how little room is in there for a mod motor.  Hince the need for a crown vic frame.

Edited by 72project - 25-February-2011 at 3:49PM
1973 GTS with 1972 front clip, 4.6 DOHC
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2011 at 4:42PM
Can you elevate the motor for clearance?
Is there enough room in the trans tunnel for the trans to clear allowing the motor to sit higher between the chassis rails?
-John
1973 GTS
72project View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72project Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2011 at 1:32AM
Where it is sitting in that picture is about where it needs to be for the trans to clear and intake to clear the hood.  Easily accomplished with the CV frame
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2011 at 2:26AM
Can't you notch the pan, similar to a 5.0 Mustang?
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2011 at 6:43AM
I'm pretty sure Canton make a front sump pan for the 4.6L.
72project View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72project Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2011 at 6:55AM
The pan is not the clearance issue.  To use a mod motor in a rear steer car of course you have to use a front sump oil pan.  The clearance issue is the exhaust manifolds hitting the frame and the steering box.   CV frame is MY solution.  Anyone else can do what you want.  I want something different and more modern suspension.
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2011 at 5:23PM
If your inclined to document your project I'm sure you would have a lot of interested followers here on the site. I too have considered using a late Vic chassis for my next project and I'd be interested to see what you run into.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
72project View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72project Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2011 at 5:31PM
I plan on it.  But now that I have twins on the way, it's going to delay the project a bit.  It's going to be a drawn out project.  I just keep accumulating parts little by little, they will eventually all come together.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2011 at 2:11AM
Thanks for the picture of the mod engine in your Torino. That negates any thoughts of trying that swap in my car with the stock frame. If there were a way to use it, I'm sure the money spent for aftermarket parts and fabricated items (and still have a 1976 era sophisticated suspension) would be in the vicinity of what I would have in a CV frame. Especially once I sell the Vic's body parts, interior, etc. Thanks to all for the input, and I will start a thread on this once I get going. I just bought a later model frame for my bump side Ranger and am going to get started on the 4.2 swap in hopes of having the truck ready by summer.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2011 at 4:25AM
The 4.6 modular you have is the same one used in the Thunderbird's right?
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2011 at 4:53AM
Originally posted by 72project 72project wrote:

I plan on it.  But now that I have twins on the way, it's going to delay the project a bit.  It's going to be a drawn out project.  I just keep accumulating parts little by little, they will eventually all come together.

I'm six years of spare time into mine, and I'm getting close to putting the body back on the frame. I know what you mean. I wound up buying a Ranchero as work truck and pacifier.LOL   
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2011 at 6:13AM
Metal can be cut and moved and rewelded.
Myself, clipping a CV frame, or swapping out the entire frame can be done, but do not also forget about the trans tunnel on the CV, the newer overdrive trans seem to be bigger?

Headers fabricated could resolve the issue on the steering box.
Buy a fab kit with flages, and make the headers.

Don't over think things like I do guys. Then you will take 10 years to get your car nearly done like I have.
I need to pick up a formal roof and a do a test fit.
I'me more inclined to cut the body off the crown vic, to the bottoms of the a pillars, leave the cowl top, cut the B pillars off at the floor, and cut off the quarters but leave the support structure for the wheel houses, trunk brace, etc.
I would drop the torino body tub down on the CV floor pan.

That way, you have all the wiring, everything stock on the CV.  
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2011 at 6:40AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

I'me more inclined to cut the body off the crown vic, to the bottoms of the a pillars, leave the cowl top, cut the B pillars off at the floor, and cut off the quarters but leave the support structure for the wheel houses, trunk brace, etc.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2011 at 10:23AM
I have a '75 Cougar XR7 that will be arriving in about a month as a donor car. The frame is the same as a Torino, so I can use the body shell and/or frame as a guinea pig for the swap. That way, if something goes south, it won't be my Torino hanging in the air - just the donor Cougar, lol. I was going to use the '72 frame I already have to examine, but the ends are different from my '76. I've been told that the '72 needs to go to the crusher before I can bring another vehicle home, so I'm going to get to wrenching on it and snag what I need.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2011 at 3:31PM
PICS of the 75 COUGAR!
Tell me more about it!!!

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2011 at 2:07AM
I bought the Cougar for a donor for my Torino. It had been sitting for a lot of years in a garage here locally when a friend of mine found it and bought it. He debated about taking anything off it, since it was in such good original shape. Fortunately for me, he used the engine in his Mustang and sold the rest to me. It has a mint bucket seat interior with the gauge package (all going in my Torino) but I will be selling the rest of the car, since the body panels won't interchange with my car. It's a very low mileage car (was a 351/automatic), and I probably would have worked with it, had the engine not been missing and I was not in need of pieces for my '76. I will make pictures of it once it is delivered to the house. Let me know if you need anything off it.
Thanks!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2011 at 2:28AM
where are you located again?
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2011 at 5:56AM
Located in Chattanooga, TN. I will have the Cougar here as soon as I finish getting all the parts off my GTS and send it on to the scrap yard. The Cougar will come with an additional set of American Racing slots that I won't be using - not sure of the size.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2011 at 6:38AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

No, I am not kidding.
Just like dropping a late 60's mustang shell onto a SN-95/newer mustang unibody.

Other things people are not keeping in mind, the CV uses the same tank setup the full size 70's Fords used, the tank is directly behind the axle, in front of the rear upkick for the trunk.
Not like on our cars.
{At least on the CV's I have looked over. If I am wrong, please correct me}
My mentality is save the headache.
Cut the away the CV body-keeping the bulk of the firewall, you can reuse all the latemodel parts such as AC, etc.
I've never bothered to measure dash width on a late model CV, pillar to pillar, but I would think it's damn close.

On the Torino shell, slice out the floor pan. Most likely you could leave the trunk floor, but I am guessing there would be issues.

Leave the Torino rocker area intact.
Drop the Torino shell over the body, and trim the CV pan as needed. Good time to think about minitubs, or modifying the CV wheel house outers {I had been looking into getting a set off a car to see about using for patch panels}

I'm being completely serious here.

Bumper/rad support, I'd be inclined to modify the frame horns to accept the Torino bumper, regardless of year, using some 5/16" - 3/8" plate welded up.
Feeling creative, hack off the Original Torino frame horns and graph to the CV frame.

Myself, I would stick with the CV rad support as basic structure. Then scope out a CVPI for the larger radiator and all the oil coolers off a CVPI.

I know in looking, the CVPI have more material in the frame, and more reinforcements for service duty applications.
I was not aware of different wheelbase versions, unless that's a Lincoln-specific deal for stretched base cars for limo packages.

Does anyone know on the late model vics, if there are any TSB's on the material? One thing, from taking classes on frame and structure rapir, some late model stuff on especially the unibody cars, had HSS {high strength steel} that if welded on or heated too much would weaken the material.
Assuming not on the frame, but pointing out for clarification.
Also, one thing Ford has been doing alot has been sandwhiching of metals with different componsional make up {sandwhich different grades of steel, for sound deadening}.
Although, if it's steel, it's weld up.

Sorry for rambling, but I am just thinking overall on a retromod project, not just {clip the frame} for the whole package. 
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2011 at 8:49AM

Just FYI...

This guy is putting a shelby 5.4L in a 72 torino.

Mod motors are wide and figured there would be clearance issues with the frame rails.  I'm not sure what this guy did...move rails...etc.   It looks like he got it to fit without swapping frames.   I haven't investigated it.  

Nice way to get fuel injection in my Torino if it can be done without cutting the frame rails.
-John
-John
1973 GTS
72project View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72project Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2011 at 1:14PM
Looks like he made his own crossmember.
72project View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72project Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2011 at 1:52PM
On further inspection it looks like he is paying someone else to figure it out for him.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2011 at 4:45PM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>