The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

horse power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: horse power
    Posted: 13-February-2006 at 1:44PM

will a ford racing 514cu"  625 horse engine be too much for a 73 fast back

JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2006 at 9:30AM

Maybe?

Will you have a transmission, driveshaft, center section, axles and tires to handle it?  I have somewhere around that hp and I have built my C6, (extra clutches everywhere, R servo and F apply lever, etc), I have a custom driveshaft, Dayton pinion support, extra clutches in the trac-loc, and 31 spl moser axles..   I also have 275/60 drag radials..

Jim

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Nevsryd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevsryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2006 at 1:46PM
Would love to find out! Like Jim says, just make sure that you have a very good trans and driveshaft(with a loop). You will want to get 31 to 35 spline axles as well.  I have a 460 crate putting out about 535 to the fly wheel and snapped 28-spline like it was a candy cane, in street tires! Let us know how it works out. 
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2006 at 12:48PM
Originally posted by Nevsryd Nevsryd wrote:

Would love to find out! Like Jim says, just make sure that you have a very good trans and driveshaft(with a loop). You will want to get 31 to 35 spline axles as well.  I have a 460 crate putting out about 535 to the fly wheel and snapped 28-spline like it was a candy cane, in street tires! Let us know how it works out. 
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2006 at 12:55PM

I have a  frame up restoration project and i need all the input I can get. like where is the weak point on the frame,where is all the tourqe going to tweak something out of true.  I hed a 72 fstbk 25 years ago and I want to recapture my youth. I have a 73 fstbk now and dont want to restore it : I want to create a nitemare for mopar & chevy!!!

Nevsryd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevsryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2006 at 1:53PM
With the motor you are planning on putting in you will create havoc! Just don't cut corners and you should be alright. You shouldn't have any frame issues that i am aware of, Jim may have experienced something, my only issue was with the axle. Put a good c-6 w a good converter and do the rear and you should be fine. Once again don't forget the driveshaft loop. When is the Estimated completion date?        
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2006 at 5:33AM

No problems with ~600 hp in my car yet.  No rust in the frame.  So far car seems happy with this hp..  Adding a cage can only help though and with the big crate motor, you will find yourself near the 11.49 1/4 times which will require the bars be present.   Good urethane bushings, and a good check of the frame (for rust and cracks) will go a long way, and here's the other thing.  If you never use real sticky tires, you'll never put much force on the frame.. 

Couple of options though, make sure to use the later engine mounts as I heard the 1972 (maybe 1973) mounts were different, and maybe box the rear lower control arms.  (if you're really ambitious, you can reinforcee the mounts for the rear upper control arms as well) and I have heard that once rusty, these cars have trouble where the front frame joins the side rails behind the front tires..

Jim  

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Speedway 650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedway 650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2006 at 4:02PM

I live in Michigan and have been around a number of this basic body style. I don't know about strenth of a solid frame. I would think the frame could easily handle the stress.

Rust was an issue in two places. The previously mentioned area behind the front wheel opening , and under the firewall would rust from salt, and debris that fall down through the open top cowl behind the hood. Wet leaves gather here and become acidic if not cleaned out.

I saw a Torino break a frame rail behind the rear wheel once. Not structural to the axle or drive shaft in any way. The car I mentioned was a '76 that had totally rotted out fenders and quarters, though. Very neglected.

Good luck with the project. I plan to put a 460 in my '73 Merc Montego next summer. My goal was close to 500 horsepower. I had read elsewhere that 500 horses should have 31 spline axles. I guess it is probably true, especially if you hook up with stick meats.

JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2006 at 2:14AM

FWIW, I ran ~460 hp (at the crank) with 28 spline axles (105.6 in the 1/4 at 4400 lbs) for several years, but I did it with a stock stall converter which really saved wear and tear on the axles by not letting it launch hard.  31 spline aftermarket axles are good insurance and are readily available (I'm using Mosers)

Jim

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
MarkGubinski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkGubinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 4:19PM
The 514-625hp is what I run in my 72 Gran Torino drag car. 10.54 @ 131mph. I find even a built C6 is the weak link. Southside Machine makes a lift bar to replace the lower arm on the rear end.
72 Gran Torino Sport 557
10.12 @136 @3600lbs.
2 Time Milan Dragway Track Champion.
2012 IHRA Div. 5 No-Box Champion.
97 career wins.

steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2006 at 11:28AM
thanks for the input mark. I had a castiron something (fmx ?) and a tranny guy said a c-6 with the rite converter is what i need. what do you have to eliminate the weak link? and thanks again for the rear bar, how do I get in toutch with them. of course I have to ask how you like the engine, did you get get from ford racing or build it your self.  thanks again ; Steve
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2006 at 6:24AM

Properly built a C6 will withstand 1200hp in a 10,000lb monster truck for a whole season.  It's all about the right parts and the right shift timing (overlap on the 2-3 is usually what destroys them, aside from bad clearances or poor oil management)..  That being said, it's also a heavy power sucking pig of a trans.  Check out the Ford Transmission forum on Network 54 and look for Broader performance, they can steer you in the right direction for a bulletproof C6.

Jim

BTW, Mark, 131mph out of the FRPP crate 514 is pretty stout, what is the rest of your combo, and what weight? 

Thanks! 

Edited by JimW
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
MarkGubinski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkGubinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2006 at 7:48AM

Sorry for taking so long guys I'm usually out on Drag sites & only pop in here once in awhile.

Yes Steve it's the Ford crate motor. I had a "B" series & ran that for several years (11 flat) but blew a rod at the end of 2004. So got a "D" series & it ran 3 tenths quicker with no other changes. I think the 625hp rating is low. I've owned this car since 1977 & been racing it since '85. Mostly at Milan, MI & now Grand Bend, Ontario but we always travel around too. Jim the car weighs 3450 plus 150 for me. Car is gutted but still has real glass & working power windows (great when it's hot out). The only light weight part is the hood which we got from that US Body place in Florida that was mentioned on another post. I run a 950 Holley HP vacum carb because I leave the line with a slow 2000rpm because my convertor is tight which gives me the high mph. Gears are 4:11. 29x11 slicks.

Edited by MarkGubinski
72 Gran Torino Sport 557
10.12 @136 @3600lbs.
2 Time Milan Dragway Track Champion.
2012 IHRA Div. 5 No-Box Champion.
97 career wins.

steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2006 at 4:24AM

thanks mark, i would like to see pics of your 72. i am starting my 73

project soon.Like I said before , I had a 72 fst bck in 81 - 82. this car dosnt look as good but its as close as Im going to get.If there was a way to put a 72 nose on it with out a lot of mods, I mite consider changing it over.for now Im stripping the body from the frame and then sand blasting. Im geussing that this engine will be to much to make street legal,so Im not to concearned about interior restoration.But I would like a sport instrment panel. the one in my 73 is pretty basic.

Post Reply Post Reply