Poll Question: Do you like the 72 Scoop on 73-76 Torino's
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [32.26%]
21 [67.74%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Sport hood scoop on 73-76 Torino's
    Posted: 02-April-2011 at 5:27AM
thanks for voting and anyone who votes yes please make a reply on what you think the hood is worth to have done with the scoop on a 73-76 Torino's I know there are some people who like it but are not capable of doing it themselves so including the scoop cost ,possibly and extra flat hood cost(for someone with rotted hood or donKt want to cut original hood) and the labor plus materials to cut and weld the scoop onto a 73-76 hood and smooth the welded seams with body filler and prime the hood so it is ready to paint what would that hood be worth spending for you.} know some may not want to spend alot but what do think a fair price is as this information may help get a ballpark figure of what people are willing to spend to have that option on thier car and help others who might have interest of having it done what itmight cost and all that is involved of doing it.

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 02-April-2011 at 6:16AM
Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2011 at 5:35AM

Of course I like them as I have it on mine. Here is a pic so that someone who might be interested can see what it looks like. Wink

68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2011 at 5:39AM
Another question as not to start another thread I know the 73 has different grille, header paneland bumper then the 74-76 but are the hoods the same?or is the 74-76 hood different at the front where it meets the header?I know the fenders are interchangeable between 73-76 and possibly the extensions cause the headlight bezels are interchangable so I was wondering if they made the hood the same and just changed the header,grille & bumper and made the front come more to a point for the 74-76 then that of the 73.

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 02-April-2011 at 6:44AM
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2011 at 5:55AM
Thanks Jesse for posting the photo of the scoop on your car.If anyone has a photo of a 73 Torino with the 72 scoop feel free to post it here.I know Uante aka Brent has one on his 73 Gran Torino Brougham but I have no way to copy and post.Also thanks for any input you have on this subject as it has been discussed on some threads but never a big discussion about it on itks own thread.thanks and hopefully this poll can add some insight on this subject for others who may be thinking of having it done.
fordnmerc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordnmerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2011 at 6:00AM
73 through 76 hoods are all the same for base, Gran, and Ranchero. Elites are different. 
David
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2011 at 6:29AM
Thanks David for sharing that info.I was looking at the photo of Jesse's car above and it looked like the hood may be the same and the just changed the header cause the headlight extensions look the same and probably are cause I know the chrome headlight bezels are the same from 73-76 so the difference is only in the header and the grille assy. Itslef.I had a 73 base model which I swapped on a 74 front clip so I know the frame is the same and now learning the differences in the 73 and 74-76 and which parts on the front are the same and what was changed when they redesigned the 74 nose.
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2011 at 6:42AM
i think it doesn't go along with the front end of 73-76, the shape is too curvy, but on a 72, it's simply gorgeous
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2011 at 7:12AM
They really are not curvy and the front of the scoop insert actually has the same front angle as the 74-76 nose and just the corners are rounded and the side are at an angle with the body crease in the hood but instead of ending sharpe the scoop sides curve and flow into the hood but woule look somewhat simular if you molded your mustang scoop onto your hood instead of just being bolt on.The hoods have very simular lines just the 72 hood is longer and has slightly more curve at the body crease to tthe sides of the hood.The nose and fenders are totally different but Ford kept the hood styling very close to the 72 flat hood so the scoop is basically the differencenEveryone has thier opinions and entitled to them and certainly not going to try to influence just tryong to gather some infon For myself and for others who might want this option added to thier car.
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2011 at 7:32AM
While I think it's a great idea for many, I'm kinda with ilyes on this one.
When I cover the front end with my hand it looks great! But when I can see the whole front end, it does look out of place as the shapes don't blend well.

As the story goes... to each their own. It's your car so do as you please for yourself and don't worry about what others think. You build it for you.
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2011 at 8:26AM
to me the scoop on the hood causes the angle of the grill to 'pop'

i've heard the 'looks like crap' comments before and agreed in my mind before seeing a few,
but the 72 GT scoop makes any 'muscle' Torino beefier, i wouldn't do it on anything with opera windows or other Grampy cars

don't overlook the Montego either if you find a savable scoop section

there's also a very similar fiberglass scoop available, not sure from where maybe you can read the sticker on it? and http://www.usbody.com/ has a 72 Gran Sport hood listed under 70-76 Fairlane for $400 but the pic is gone

Edited by Rockatansky - 02-April-2011 at 8:34AM
72 GT Ute

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2011 at 9:39PM
That green 72 Ranchero has Montego hood on it,notice the front doesn't match up with the header.I have the magazine that the ProStreet Ranchero Squire is in,that is one Bad arse looking ride.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2011 at 3:35AM
Jeff...my thoughts, it depends on how bad you want it.
As you know, there is time involved to modify a 73-76 hood to accept the hood skin.

Now, my thoughts and what others may think when the term "graphing a '72 hood scoop" are going to be a bit different.
If I am going to go through the work, I want to cut out and modify the support structure to match, as the '72 hood scoop needs to have the bracing to support the skin, and allow the scoop to bolt to it.

I like that fiberglass scoop, looks good enough for me!

As far as the 72 MontegoGT hood...that would have been better on an Elite or 74-76 Cougar XR7.

And, as far as the Elite 74-76 is concerned, you can do it. As me how I know. Wink

That required trimming the scoop down to fit the top flat area. I was left with about 2 inches of metal around the base of the scoop.

My mentality on doing scoop install is to cut to the back edge of the skin, and leave the factory pinch weld area intact.
By not welding to the back edge of the skin, you cut down on so much weld time, and frankly, less metal warpage issues.

For some added flavor:
Ford Stylists, 1973, for the bumper change. They were considering keeping the scoop hood. Shame they didn't.

Off hand, I would honestly say by the time I had everything welded in, I had to have at least 15-20 hours into it. Granted I was not moving at the speed I could have been.

Sheet metal though sucks at times, like you know. Personally, I almost wish I had a tig welder...everything I've learned about that way, being able to really control the heat...but I'm happy I at least have my small mig unit.

Edited by Eliteman76 - 03-April-2011 at 3:37AM
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2011 at 8:02AM
Thanks Andy for sharing your experience from one who has done it sure helps especially with the detailed photos.I saved them in my photobucket album when I bought that 73 GTS from you. Kinda helps take the guess work of where to cut and actually speeds up the process when you can see where to section in the inner bracing and I agree with you leaving the back pinchweld intact so you onlu have to weld the skin on front & Sides which eliminates some of the warpage you can get with mig welding.Tig welding is ofcoarse the ultimate way as you can control the heat better and great less warpage and distoration to the metal to where it also will only take a light grinding to smooth the welds as gringing also heats up the metal so the smoother the weld you can get without alot of heat makes for a better job.I wish I could post Uantes 73 Gran Torino Brougham as it is a great example how nice the finished hood looks like on a 73.I really like that 73 Sport Prototype with the 72 scoop ,grille and headlight bucket/bezelsn}t actually don't look bad with the big bumper across the front.Who knows if Carl and I do get a shop going and build the TorChero Dually might think of using a 73 front bumper so it has a stout front bumper that could incorporate a winch or push bar on.The 72 bumper and valance looks kewl but for a Kustom Diesel TorChero Dually it has to exsude strength,durability and fuctionality so the 72 bumper is basically useless on the beast we want to build so that photo gives me the idea to incorporate it with the 72 front endnI wish they had a side view of that prototype.I really think that Ford should have stuck with the scoop on the 73 up Gran Torino Sport and Ranchero GT as it really gives it a Sport look over the plain flat hood.I kneed tl draw up a Concept 74 -76 Sportroof Torino using the tailpanel ,tailights and rear bumper with the 74-76 NosenSimple to build one as I had a 74 nose on a 73Torino formal roof so do the same to a 73 Sportroof and get the 74-76 front pieces and rear parts
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2011 at 8:53AM
I tried one on my 78 Cougar. I hated it. 

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2011 at 12:05PM
Yah 77-79's have a longer nose and different styling then the 72-76 Torino and understand why it wouldnkt look good. The basic body of the 72-76 Torino formal roof di not change and the doors ,quarters& decklid remained the same and the front part of the fenders changed from 72 to 73-76 to accomodate for 5 mph crash impact bumpers but otherwise only the first 3 feet were altered and the rest from front wheels back remained the same except the bumper change on rear on 74-76 models so that is why I think the scoop looks good on all the 72-76 model Torino. Wagons and Rancheroks look sporty with the scoop so that and a set of wheels&tires gives it a whole new look.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2011 at 12:16PM
I am not even a fan of the 72 scoop at all. Just not to my liking.

JMHO
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2011 at 12:52PM
well Carl you are one of the rare exceptions that don't like the scoop at all and one of the few that don't even like the Sportroof Torino's but to each is own and that is the beauty of having your own opinion and taste cause not everyone likes the same thing and why we have so manh different brand cars and models to suit what different people like.

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 03-April-2011 at 3:21PM
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2011 at 1:45PM
Well I did not vote because there is not an option for me to answer...
I am not a fan of the scoop at all.
lol
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2011 at 2:51PM
Oh just vote no cause the question is if you think the scoop looks good on 73-76 so your answer is NonI didnkt ask if the scoop looks good on 72's.I can add any more options now that the poll was submited but like I said you would vote No
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2011 at 2:59PM
i love the scoop on the 72... but not on the 73... 
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2011 at 7:59PM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

I tried one on my 78 Cougar. I hated it. 

that is just wrong

ornament AND a scoop is gonna be hard to pull off,  but with rear side windows and a 1/2 top ?

the Mercury scoops might've worked, more suited to the narrower grill. and the Lincoln side vents might work if you need to move air from under the hood

i wonder how it would look with the grill and center of the hood bumped up a couple 2 t'ree inches to create a custom cowl treatment either open, closed or flappered...

i think the hood ornament would look good flying on that?
72 GT Ute

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2011 at 1:49AM
I'm going to go with an Eliminator scoop at some point, once the funds allow. 
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2011 at 6:29AM
Paul, judgment prevailed on your car.
Personally, I am not a fan of the scoop on your car.
Something about the cougar with your setup just does not scream "I need a hood scoop".
I'd be more inclined to run a ram air setup pulling air from scoops installed in your high beam buckets, or using 442 ram air buckets mounted on the bottom of the front bumper.

To each their own on the hood scoop deal...Carl, you are the guy afterall that can't stand the Sport roof. LOL

Hell, I'd take a '72 base formal roof, and cut the hood for an Kaase boss-9 and his new EFI 8 stack injection unit if I had cash falling off a tree. 
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2011 at 6:36AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Paul, judgment prevailed on your car.
Personally, I am not a fan of the scoop on your car.
Something about the cougar with your setup just does not scream "I need a hood scoop".
I'd be more inclined to run a ram air setup pulling air from scoops installed in your high beam buckets, or using 442 ram air buckets mounted on the bottom of the front bumper.

Who said I was even opening the hood up. Sleepy 
Paul

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2011 at 6:52AM
then there's even less point to an Eliminator scoop. not much difference from the 72 GT scoop, it's a forward facing open hood scoop that's gonna look out of place on a luxury performance full trim Cougar IMO

more is better, but less is more
72 GT Ute

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2011 at 7:20AM
It's down to either an Eliminator scoop, or a 79-83 Mustang scoop. The GTS scoop was too round for my liking, and to be honest, I wasn't interested in doing the work required, once I saw how different it was from the 77-79 hood. A boss scoop is too tall. both visually, and I hated driving with one when I had one on the car.. 

(not my car, same idea.. with a boss scoop)

Don't forget, I'm all about luxury performance cars with scoops... my other car is a 75 Hurst Olds, and it has *louvers*, and all that is, is a glorified Cutlass Supreme with a sticker job and t-tops. 

(pic isn't mine)

I had a piece with louvers from a wrecked hood, but I can't find it*

No cowls. Hate em. Sorry for the threadjack, lol. 

*sounds fishy, but if you saw the parts I have hanging around, you'd see why I could lose it. 

Edited by Psquare75 - 04-April-2011 at 7:42AM
Paul
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2011 at 8:44AM
Ah No biggie Paul the thread was for fun to see what the opinions were about grafting the scoop you started off with the 72 scoop and now your just trying to find one that looks good on your Cougar.Is there really much difference from the Cougar Eliminater scoop and the 79 Mustang scoop?isn't that what ilyes just installed on his 73 Gran Torino? I think it looks good on his carbut I don't care for the scoop on the T-Bird. I'd be curious as to what the 79 Mustang scoop c looks like on the Cougar cause the stang scoop doesn't seem to stick up that high & tapers off towards the back so it might look ok.Heck just cut a hole in the hood and install a 6-71 Supercharer with the Street scoop with the butterflies that open with the carb
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2011 at 12:30PM

You know, I think that Montego GT treatment woudl work well.   The problem I see with the GTS and the eliminator scoop is that the sides of the scoop aren't parallel with the hood lines and it looks rather out of place.  Because the hood lines taper out to the edges, the scoop needs to have some sort of taper (front to back) as well.. 

Just some thoughts.

Jim

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Skinnys Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinnys Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2011 at 12:58PM
Originally posted by JimW JimW wrote:

The problem I see with the GTS and the eliminator scoop is that the sides of the scoop aren't parallel with the hood lines and it looks rather out of place.  Because the hood lines taper out to the edges, the scoop needs to have some sort of taper (front to back) as well.

Actually the Eliminator scoop  does follow the hood lines. It's the Mustang GT and Boss 429 scoops that are straight. The Eliminator/Comet GT scoop (like on my car) follows the taper of a '73-'76 hood really close getting wider in the back. I've got a rusty GTS hood with a scoop and a spare hood to graft it to, but I'm not sure if I ever will.

Scott -'73 Gran Torino Brougham

Past Torino's -'73 Q-code GTS, '76 Original PS-122 S&H, '73 H-code GTS, '73 Ranchero
        '71 Cobra 351 Auto, '70 351C Brougham 2dr HT, '71 351C Ranchero
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2011 at 3:59PM
Well one thing I like about the 72 scoop on the 73-76 Torino is that it is molded in and the scoop opening comes from within cause the scoop insert starts before the openings and the Stang Or Eliminater Scoop the hood is flat and then there is just the opening tat the scoop makes bolted on top the hood and to me has less style then that of the 72 scoop openings which are also devidedAnd have grille inserts which give it a finished look.Skinny & ilyes's car look good with the scoop but the opening just looks plain and unfinished. Thanks for the photo Skinny,shows the Torino owners another option and cheaper way to go to install a scoop on 73 and up Torino's.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>