The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Road / Track Suspension Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2012 at 9:18AM
Its a 3 bolt upper...it even lists 72-79 Torino, etc.   It is the equivalent for the Moog K8212 +0.5"

Edited by BackInBlack - 27-April-2012 at 9:19AM
-John
1973 GTS
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2012 at 9:23AM
The tech help at Howe is looking into an alternative lower ball joint that might work with some minor modifications to the lower control arm.   I'm hoping there is something that all we might have to do is open the lower ball joint opening to allow it to fit.

The guy I spoke to was "Dan".  He was very knowledgeable.  

-John
-John
1973 GTS
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2012 at 3:44AM
$77 ea is too steep for my budget.  I may get tall uppers for $15 ea from Day motorsports and re-drill my control arms.
1976 ELITE, 71 429 w/cam, quadrajet, 4 wheel Mark V disc brakes, 3.25 trac lok, gutted & 12.9'd Mustang steering box
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2012 at 3:46AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

I would have done it, but I did the DJM setup... I hadn't heard of the Panther swap at the time. Doh!

Do you have more info on the DJM setup?
1976 ELITE, 71 429 w/cam, quadrajet, 4 wheel Mark V disc brakes, 3.25 trac lok, gutted & 12.9'd Mustang steering box

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2012 at 4:03AM
Originally posted by SPLUHAR SPLUHAR wrote:

$77 ea is too steep for my budget.  I may get tall uppers for $15 ea from Day motorsports and re-drill my control arms.

Do you have a part number in mind or do you have a link to look at?  
Using a GM upper ball joint ?

Thanks

-John
1973 GTS
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2012 at 8:04AM
Originally posted by BackInBlack BackInBlack wrote:

Do you have a part number in mind or do you have a link to look at?  
Using a GM upper ball joint ?

Thanks

DayMotorsports: ProTek # BJ-K6136 or
Speedway Motors: 917-20032
For Chevy pickup '73-'95
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2012 at 8:38AM
Originally posted by SPLUHAR SPLUHAR wrote:

Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

I would have done it, but I did the DJM setup... I hadn't heard of the Panther swap at the time. Doh!

Do you have more info on the DJM setup?

That was for my dentside F100, twin I beam 3" drop. Sorry. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
sabatona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabatona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2012 at 5:54AM
Been reading this thread: so......has anyone found a longer lower ball joint for the 1" drop that will fit with reasonably modification of the lower arms (opening the hole)???
73 GTS 351 4V Q Code
Blue Glow/Blue Int
1 of 1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2012 at 9:37AM
This is what I plan to try ....when i get to do the front end.

Using a ball joint bushing sleeve to weld into the existing hole in the lower control arm.   Its for an Impala and has a ridged lip to weld.

Howe Racing PN 22411  $20 ea

This converts the lower ball joint to a Chrysler K727 style screw in ball joint.   Its a strong ball joint and be found up to +1" length efectively raising the upper control arm and lowering the car 1"

Howe Racing, QA1, and others have an extended ball joint to use.   The taper appears to be thet same as a ford taper...so no reaming necessary.   (about $70 bucks from what I have seen).

I haven't tried this, but this is what I researched and finalized on.   You can also get an extended length ball joint for the ford upper from the same vendors, increasing the camber negative gain further.

-John

Edited by BackInBlack - 11-July-2012 at 9:39AM
-John
1973 GTS
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2012 at 8:14AM
Any updates on this topic? Especially from John.
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2012 at 12:20PM
Not much progress on the suspension.   

I've been cutting/sectioning the front bumper and lightening the bumper to shed some weight (73 battering ram bumper).   This turned out to be a really big effort both in time and money.

I'm also acquiring a 72 hood for the hood scoop transplant.   I have also boxed the rear lower control arms and replaced the rear bushings with energy suspension poly bushings.  I've installed a quick ratio steering box (Lares #807).

In the near future; I plan on replacing the rear springs with 1" lower 200lb rate springs.   I plan to use the CVPI front springs or order the springs targeting 750lbs/in rate.  I'm going to box in the lower front a-arms and install the ball joints mentioned above (1" extended lower ball joint).   I'm doing this so it doesn't change the lower a-arm geometry while trying to get more negative camber gain.    I may install a 1" or 1/2" extended upper ball joint as well.    I've bought a software tool to help setup the suspension, its called Performance Trends Circle track analyzer.   I've also bought replacement front spindles from a 74-78 Torino/Lincoln/LTD etc.  which will allow me to use aftermarket hubs/brakes.

So many things are interconnected on the front end therefore driving up the costs so its hard to do it slowly in small parts.   The front end work may have to wait until next year for me....unless I win the lottery Big smile

Edited by BackInBlack - 12-September-2012 at 12:22PM
-John
1973 GTS
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2012 at 12:59PM
I would be interested in trying the same lower ball joints but I'm worried about negative effects on tire wear.

Should I be?

I think i could do this over the winter.

"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2012 at 1:53PM
I don't think raising the upper arm 1" will wear out your tires.   The 65 Shelby mustang lowered the mounting location 1" in the shock tower for the same reason, to improve the geometry.   What I'm doing is effectively the same thing.   On our Torinos we really can't lower the upper a-arm mounting location without major surgery.  So the alternative is to "lengthen" the height of the spindle between the lower to upper ball joint.   A way to do this is use extended length ball joint.   By using extended length ball joint on the lower a-arm you get a 2 for 1 special....lengthens the spindle height and lowers the car by the same amount.   You could opt for using a stock lower and an extended length upper ball joint to do the same thing without lowering it.   

I've personally come to a conclusion that its not worth lowering the car more than 1" using the stock suspension setup because it changes the geometry to much over the range of suspension travel .  If you lower the front to much by cutting the spring the lower control arm geometry is effected requiring relocating the mounting point.  (I dont want to do that...)   In the rear if you lower the car much then the pinion angle is effected, maybe incurr bind at the extended range, not to mention the suspension travel is impacted. 

I want to lower the car about 1" mostly for looks...it can handle well at stock height or lowered 1".   I think its more about the look you want for your Torino rather than to improve the handling.   I want the lowered look but I dont want it to scrape over speed bumps.   

"World according to John"   I'm not an expert in this area but I continue to learn and research the topic.   I think if you do this setup and more importantly invest in really good shocks and tires it will surprise the competition.   I feel that you get the most bang for your buck with 1. Tires/wheels(17",18") 2. Shocks (Bilstein, Koni, etc) and 3. Sway bars     Its a combination of the parts starting with those 3...example: the shocks should be valved/tailored to the spring rates you choose to use.   

I'm open to other options or opinions....   I'm still researching this.  I want to get it right the first time.

PS...If you go beyond raising 1" of the a-arm you might start impacting tire life.  If you plan to autocross and race it...shorter tire life might be OK for the performance gain.

-John

Edited by BackInBlack - 12-September-2012 at 1:57PM
-John
1973 GTS
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2012 at 3:59PM

I'm open to other options or opinions....  

Okay, here's my opinion....again.  You're overthinking it.

#1 tires
#2 driver retention/seating
#3 sway bars
#4 bushings
#5 chassis stiffness
#6 shocks

The stock geometry needs NO alteration. 

Take a look at the video below.  You'll notice that I caught and passed an RX8 as well as a BMW.  I also caught and passed a 2013 Mustang GT that day, and had a Factory Five cobra spin out behind me trying to hold my line.  See the G meter....almost 1G on some of the corners.  Cut coils in the front, clamped coils in the rear, poly graphite bushings and PST sway bars, street stock / circle track shocks, 17" alum wheels with 255/50R17 street radials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvFn-eCb4oU

And another video...extended periods of time at 100-120mph without any vibrations, also ran 132 mph with no issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHr59VAGYns

I don't know what you plan to do with your car, but you've got to get it out on whatever kind of track you're going to run before you know what needs to be improved.  In my case it turned out to be slop in the steering system and aerodynamics.

Confused

Edited by Carl - 12-September-2012 at 4:02PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2012 at 11:47PM
Yeah I forgot to list the bushings...rubber bushings are bad.   To much deflection under load.   I only disagree with the ranking of the shocks.   If your mostly street driving then it probably doesn't matter much, but if you want to be more competitive at the track/autocross shocks are more important.

I would say to get the best feedback/opinions go to a track event and ask those racing.   Of course, the limiting factor is what you want to spend.   Set your goals first and budget...it will drive all your other decisions.
-John
1973 GTS
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2012 at 2:22AM
I have been watching this thread with great interest, as I am converting my wagon over to newer (improved) suspension parts for better handling. It is the guinea pig for my 3 Sportroofs and Formal, and will be a learning experience. I installed Gabriel performance shocks for a CVPI, a Saginaw box 17 inch wheels, and the HD rear springs (still need to install the CVPI front springs) and it made a world of difference. It is stiffer, handles better, and got rid of the slop. However, by doing this, I have made the flaws of the rest of the suspension/frame design much more appearent (jittery ride, cowl shake, bushings/sway bars, frame flex, etc). More work is required to get it where I want it, but it is a step in the right direction and will be the basic platform for my others.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2012 at 2:46AM
I know everyone and their mother loves the hard springs...... but I'd lean towards soft springs and a stiffer shock. That wagon must be letting you know where EVERY rattle is. 
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2012 at 2:58AM
It pretty much does let me know, but thankfully the old car is pretty solid. Back area is the worst offender with all that plastic on metal.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2012 at 3:10AM

I would say to get the best feedback/opinions go to a track event and ask those racing.

I don't know about where you live, but where I live, I'm the only person dumb enough to try and run one of these cars.  Most will laugh at you and the car, a few will come over to tell you how kick-ass it is.  Nobody will have a clue how to make it work.

You've got to put together your best game plan, try it out, fix/change what didn't work, and repeat.

Shocks in my opinion make a big difference in street driving, but most road courses are smooth as glass.  A custom valved big $$$ shock isn't going to make a huge difference over a parts store 50/50 shock.

I'm running soft springs with big sway bars and stiff shocks.  Stiffening the frame made a big difference, but it does require cutting holes in the floor and living with a roll bar.

Oh, and I forgot to mention brakes.  Should be right behind tires in importance for road course work.  I can only get two or three laps before the fluid boils and my pedal goes straight to the floor.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2012 at 3:54AM
I agree with the shock comment and stiffening the frame. For esthetic reasons, I decided against installing a roll bar in the wagon (will probably do that in a couple of the cars) so I am going to be boxing the frame/suspension attachments for strength as well as adding an extra crossmember.

Thankfully, I am utilizing the experiences of fellow members to eliminate much legwork. Thank you all for that.

Brakes. I purchased a 9 inch disc brake rear from a Mark, and while it will bolt in, it carries the GM 5 X 5 truck bolt pattern. This led me to wonder if I could adapt a GM large diameter truck braking system to the front spindles (either the stock '72, later Torino, or even GM spindles) - thereby increasing the contact area of the front brakes, and keeping the same bolt pattern as the 9 inch Lincoln rear. I run synthetic brake fluid in our Hondas and my Titan for the simple reason that it has a much higher boiling point, is less suseptible to moisture, and keeps longer. Works very well in racing and heavy load towing. Plan on converting all of them over.

Any thoughts on this?
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2012 at 4:16AM
Originally posted by Carl Carl wrote:

I'm running soft springs with big sway bars and stiff shocks. 

Proof in action... 
Paul

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2012 at 7:56AM
It depends upon your goals...what do you want to do with it.

The main objective is maximizing the tire patch contact under all driving conditions.   Street is different than 100% track.   I think most of us are trying to find a solution somewhere in the middle of a street setup and a track setup.  Some prefer a stiffer feeling...but for street on rough roads a softer spring combo with adjustable shocks would be better tahn stiff springs.   If your doing more track; then stiffer springs (overall stiffer setup) might be preferred because the track is smoother and might have some banked turns.

Personally, I like a little stiffer setup for street not because its "better" but because I like how it feels and how it transitions from braking to accelerating.  If you want faster response and weight transfer you will have to increase the spring rates and marry it with the appropriate shock valving.

Try test driving some cars while paying attention to how it handles to determine what you prefer.  Try to also find cars close to the Torino wheelbase for comparison.
Example
1984 Corvette handles very well but is notorious for having a harsh stiff ride.  Later models are more of a compromise between ride quality and handling.
Porsche 911, 944, BMW M3 anything in that camp.  
1985+ IROC Camaro
Crown Vic Police Interceptor
Nissan 280Zor300Z
etc, insert others here etc, etc

Some have stiffer setups but on some streets will jar your teeth out.  Once you decide what your favorite handling characteristics are then you can adjust the opinions posted to your target goals. 
So far...these are all opinions based on our own subjective preferences.   There is no test data provided to compare these options (before and after testing).   (Testing should include skidpad and slalom at a min. or timed runs through track testing.)

There is a good article I found showing how someone made a 1971 Montego go from 0.73 on a 200ft skid pad to 0.91g by incrementally changing springs, bushing,swaybars, shocks, and lastly wheels and tires.  The test data reveiling that the sway bars springs had marginal improvement because you simply can't keep the traction to the ground with bad tires.   The shocks and tires had a huge improvement taking it from 0.76ish g  to 0.91 g.   

I will try to find it and paste the link...  I found it very helpful to gauge what I want to do.  

I think its helpful to post our setups when we complete them and any testing we might perform; including our goals and the pros/cons to our choices made  (choices are based on trade-offs governed by the goals we are trying to achieve).   That will be the most help to others trying to figure out what they want to do.

-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2012 at 8:01AM
Originally posted by Carl Carl wrote:

I would say to get the best feedback/opinions go to a track event and ask those racing.

I don't know about where you live, but where I live, I'm the only person dumb enough to try and run one of these cars.  Most will laugh at you and the car, a few will come over to tell you how kick-ass it is.  Nobody will have a clue how to make it work.

You've got to put together your best game plan, try it out, fix/change what didn't work, and repeat.

Shocks in my opinion make a big difference in street driving, but most road courses are smooth as glass.  A custom valved big $$$ shock isn't going to make a huge difference over a parts store 50/50 shock.

I'm running soft springs with big sway bars and stiff shocks.  Stiffening the frame made a big difference, but it does require cutting holes in the floor and living with a roll bar.

Oh, and I forgot to mention brakes.  Should be right behind tires in importance for road course work.  I can only get two or three laps before the fluid boils and my pedal goes straight to the floor.

I dont think its dumb to run these cars.  I think its pretty cool Smile    Why follow the rest of the sheep in mustangs and camaros....bah bah ?  

Anyone can make these cars handle if given an unlimited budget...I think most of us are trying to find a way to make them handle better given our personal goals and a limited budget.   I personally like hearing how people solve these problems differently...lots of good ideas.    Please keep these posts coming...thanks!
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2012 at 11:21AM
Good comments on the brakes...I didn't think of the extra heat and fluid.
Are you running the stock discs or swapped them out for something bigger?

Stiffening the chassis:  Did you find that it needed stiffening only in the rear?

The spring comments have me rethinking the softer vs stiffer springs for street now...I'm probably over analyzing this.   I guess the only way to find out for sure is just try it.   The springs are probably the cheapest part to change if I get it wrong.    Not many options for sway bars unless I figure out how to mount a splined bar up front.

Here is that link...I found it interesting

Edited by BackInBlack - 14-September-2012 at 11:29AM
-John
1973 GTS
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2012 at 11:32AM
Stock brakes all around for me.  Aside from adding some ducting and maybe drilling/slotting the rotors, I don't know that I'll upgrade anytime soon.  Open road racing is my primary focus, and the braking load is far less than running on a track.

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2012 at 2:45PM

The spring comments have me rethinking the softer vs stiffer springs for street now...I'm probably over analyzing this.   I guess the only way to find out for sure is just try it.   The springs are probably the cheapest part to change if I get it wrong.  

I know you are going for a different outcome than me, but I really don't think you will be disappointed with CVPI springs. My car is a street car with no track time, and I went with the CVPI springs, Bilstiens, 1 1/8" sway bar but stock style bushings (I don't think the poly bushings are worth it for street driving IMO). I agree with what you said about the shocks making a big difference. IMO the Bilstiens are worth every penny (I have used them in several other vehicles I have owned too).

I know your car might be setup more for track use, and honestly, I was surprised at how the CVPI springs really are not that stiff. Yeah, the car is much firmer than the stock springs, but compared to most modern "sporty" vehicles, I think my Torino rides nicer (although a full frame helps there). It definietly feels a bit smoother than a Crown Vic cop car, but seems to have slightly less roll. My truck still rides a fair bit stiffer than my Torino and it's bone stock. Even my wife thought the car only rode "a bit stiffer" after the new springs. It is unbelievable how flat the car stays in corners compared to stock and the car is way for fun to drive which was my goal. I really see no advantage to go to a softer spring. I mean if it were a killer harsh ride, than yeah, but I actually prefer the ride of the car now over the stock springs.

Remember, even the stock Competition Spring cars had springs in 500 in/lb range. Since we are for the most part limited to a 1 1/8" bar (while some GM Muscle cars can get 1 5/16" now), the only option to increase front roll stiffness is through the springs.

And looking at that Montego article, they used 750 in/lb springs in a lighter car.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 14-September-2012 at 2:48PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2012 at 12:50AM
I would think with 500lb/in springs you would need some big sway bars like 1.5" (guessing here)

Good point regarding the article...lighter weight with 750 rate.   This would infer that its not unreasonable to have to go from 750 to 800ish for an equivalent setup in a 72/73 Torino.   
-John
1973 GTS
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2012 at 5:48AM
I would tend to agree with you on that bar size.

Also, keep in mind my car had spring code "94" springs stock, which are much softer than even the factory competition springs. Not sure if your car had the competition suspension or not, mine was just the heavy duty/cross country suspension.

Here's another interesting article re suspension on a Crown Vic Cop car and spring selection. They don't really seem to go overly stiff in the rear. Keep in mind though that this car is a 2003+ Crown Vic that uses a complelely different spring to arm ratio due to the mini-strut style springs (a 330 lb/in is about equal to the old 700lb/in in the old cars 2002 and prior). And they upgrade to a 550lb/in coil over.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1202_choosing_springs_and_shocks_build_a_project_panther/

Edited by 72FordGTS - 15-September-2012 at 5:49AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2012 at 3:28AM
Spring rate is dependent on tire size.. specifically side wall height. Mark and I flip flopped things around on his 77 from my 78. What rode great with 235 75 15s was absolutely school-bus like with the 255-275 50 17s...
Paul
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2012 at 6:03AM
True enough, the ride is effected by tire sidewall height and overall tire stiffness. Maybe that's why CVPI's seem stiffer than my car, because they have 17" wheels vs my 15" (60 series). Although the ride difference between the two is not drastic what you experienced. Ride is subjective though, what seems comfortable to me may not be to you.

All I am saying is that my car with CVPI springs is not by any stretch harsh, esepcially compared to many other firm riding cars.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 16-September-2012 at 6:03AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>