The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351C Timing Chain Cover Replacment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark harper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351C Timing Chain Cover Replacment
    Posted: 11-April-2011 at 3:05PM
Does anyone know of a way to remove and replace a timing chain cover on a 351C without removing the oil pan? I need access to the timing chain gears but I do not want to have to remove the oil pan as the engine is still in the car. For any of you that have had to remove and replace a 351C oil pan while the engine is still in the car knows what a pain that it is. Let me know - Mark 
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2011 at 6:06PM
i've always done it w/o dropping the oil pan, it can be done by trimming the corners off the pan seal rails and some of the pan seals too. a dab of RTV makes up for what gets trimmed off. getting the pan / block corners clean & free of oil is important, then schmeer a little RTV into the corners before
setting the cover.

but before that i do a couple test-fits especially if it's a 'first time' cover that i'm notching the tabs off. i make sure the cover by itself is able to slide in without the pan seal or gaskets or sealer, sometimes it takes a couple tries to get the trimming just right and you don't want goo'd up gaskets sliding all over & collecting crud while you need to cut or file a little more off the corners

i prefer to re-use an old pan seal because it's already compressed and makes it a little easier too

i have several extra covers, not sure if i have one that's already notched but i'll try to get a couple pics
72 GT Ute

mark harper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark harper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2011 at 12:37AM
Thanks Max. Pictures of this would be really helpful. Thanks for the reply.
Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply