The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wiper - park function not working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiper - park function not working
    Posted: 04-May-2011 at 5:59AM
OK. Looking for advice:
Replaced my fried wiper motor.
The wiper park function, is not working with the motor I have now.

For those unsure of what I mean, on every Torino I have owned, the wiper setup on the 72-76 when turned on, will raise up like 6 inches, then proceed to work.

I had swapped motors, and I can't get the park function to work now.
I have tried three different wiper delay sets, at least two standard switches and nothing, all act the same.

Would this be related to the contact block in the wiper motor itself?

I thought the wiper motor I had had a different crank assembly, but comparing the two side by side, not the case.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2011 at 6:06AM
Check the ground strap between the plastic cover, motor, and case. They usually corrode, and the wipers will not park. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2011 at 6:54AM
I think there are 2 different wiper motors available - one with the park feature, and one without.  Could have sworn I saw that mentioned somewhere...
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2011 at 9:25AM
Here's some info I pulled off another site about 1970 Mustang wiper not parking.  I don't believe the wiper motors are exactly the same as those for 72-79 Torino/Ranchero, but possibly may lead to a solution?   
Paul~

I took my wiper motor apart to clean and relube it and now it doesn't park. Not sure if it did before or not since it was in abox with the car when I got it. So I could take the easy way out and just go buy one from OReilly's but that just isnt me. To go buy another one admits defeat.

The book doesnt explain the theory, only testing and replacement. The unit motors thru ok. Blue and white are the high and low speed wires ad I presume it does this thru resistance wires. What I dont understand is what is happening electrically when it is in park cycle. Apparently the white wire is grounded while power is still applied to the motor over the blue or white wire? I've taken it apart a few times now and dont see how this should operate. Please someone dumb it down for me.

Here is the park bench test (no pun intended) diagram. Will post some pics of the brush and switch plate.

Offline johnpro

• Talks Too Much
    Re: 1970 Mach 1 wiper motor theory and operation
    « Reply #1 on: June, 20, 2010, 09:52:45 PM »
    They are very simple, actually.  You should see a set of contact points inside the motor, much like the mechanical voltage regulator, or actual distributor points. 

Now the motor actually has 2 power wires going to it.  One supplies power to the motor all the time that the key is in accessories or run.  The other only has power when the wiper switch is on.  With the wiper switch on, it allows power to by-pass the points and even though the points are opening and closing (there's a little cam in there that opens and closes them as the motor turns), the opening points have no effect, because of the by-passed wire.

Then when you turn the switch off, the motor keeps turning until the points open, killing power to the motor and the wipers turn off.  It's all set up so that when the points open, the wipers are in the "parked" position.  This is how they continue to run until the parked position, then stop.

You're problem is probably with the points or a wiring problem.  If the points aren't opening, they can never park, or even turn off, for that matter, without the use of a separate switch to kill the power to the "constant power".

I had this exact same problem with my son's '65, and was able to shim the cam on the points, to get it working correctly, and never had another problem with his wipers the rest of the time we owned the car.

Edited by picon3 - 04-May-2011 at 2:04PM
    1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
    Psquare75 View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2011 at 9:38AM
    I had thought the wiper motors were the same 72-79?
    Paul
    'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
    Eliteman76 View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 6:25PM
    I have pulled motor off multiple cars, and they all are the same to me.Advanced had the "standard motor" and I got into a debate with the guy at the counter. Perhaps I am not 100% correct, but I sware after working on these cars for nearly 20 years...since I was 13 or so...the standard they had was something I have NEVER seen.
    I ran the motor again tonight. Park works now.
    It hits a few spots where it just stops dead. Thinking it is in fact the contact block that is the issue.
    Probably what happened last year on powertour when the damn things would not shut off.

I also had not fully seated the motor down, and 2 bolts were loose.
    Tightened it down, and no issues now.

picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2011 at 3:30PM
    Had Old Lazarus out tonight and wouldn't you know it, but the wiper motor wouldn't park.  It's never done this before.  I have the motor off of the 73 (see below) I demoed the car a couple of years ago.  Should I just replace the motor or try to trouble shoot it the one that's already installed?  Ideas? 
    And I just detailed the motor.  Ugh!  Maybe it was the gunmetal paint instead of white?  LOL Paul~

Edited by picon3 - 14-October-2011 at 3:35PM
    Psquare75 View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2011 at 3:56PM
    Clean the ground straps.. You may have painted over them. 
    Paul
    ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2011 at 5:09PM
    mine was working fine before, when i pulled the engine, i removed the motor to paint the fire wall, after that, no way to get the park function to work again
    mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2011 at 5:27PM
    Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

Check the ground strap between the plastic cover, motor, and case. They usually corrode, and the wipers will not park. 

+1.  I have had this issue before too and the wiper motor ground was the issue.
    Mike
    picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2011 at 2:00PM
    Just to be sure, this is the ground strap we're talking about right?  It's a copper strip that has an accordian like shape that runs from underneath the plastic cover back to the bolt hole that is one of the mounts to the body.  Paul~

75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2011 at 2:20PM
    Paul,yes that would be the ground strap.John
    John 75Gran Torino 4spd
    Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
    crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2011 at 4:21AM
    Andy, through Auto Zone, cardone offers (2) different wiper motors for the Torino.  1 concealed and the other not.  See link:

Hope this helps

Chris

picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2011 at 12:51PM
    Well, I'm ready to throw in the towel and install one of the other motors that I have.  I cleaned everything related to the ground strap and it still won't park.  Very odd how it just all of a sudden stopped.  I'll test drive the other two to make sure one of them works before I swap it out.  Thanks to all.  Paul~
    ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2011 at 1:21PM
    on mine, even after cleaning, it wasn't parking, i had to push the wipers down
    Eliteman76 View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2011 at 4:10PM
    Paul-
    This is what I ended up doing.

After dissection, the contact block looked to have a bad contact on mine.
    On powertour, I pretty much could not shut the damn things off in 2010, and then I unplugged them in Tennessee and then the thing died last september on a run to a car show here in Nebraska.

I swapped out and cleaned all connections.
    Working good since then.

picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2011 at 9:26AM
    Problem solved.  I took the extra unit I had, cleaned it, detailed and installed it and sure enough the park works.  It was a good bit of time, but worth it.  Here's some photos.  Paul~

Here's the finished product.  Everything super clean in the contact area/ground strap.  Didn't do such a good job with the stamps.  Harder than they look to apply, but they're on there. 
    Here's the wiper motor dissassembled, regreased with "red and tacky" and down to bare metal after wire wheeling/dremel tool. 
    This piece is plastic.  I scuffed/cleaned before priming/painting.  Made sure to cover all the contact areas so as not to get paint on them. 
    Here it is after painting (unfortunately, you can see where the paint rubbed off when attaching the metal ring.  ...sigh.  It had a stamp of "C1" on it which I reproduced. 
    This is either ceramic or plastic; I think it's ceramic.  Ended up cleaning it with a dremel tool and a small brush before using duplicolor performance white acrylic enamel on it. 

Edited by picon3 - 25-October-2011 at 9:30AM
    ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2011 at 9:35AM
    good job, why is that the date don't match?
    picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2011 at 9:58AM
    Originally posted by ilyes ilyes wrote:

good job, why is that the date don't match?
    The build date on my car was June 19, 1972 so everything was date stamped 4-6 weeks before build date.  If you look closely, I used different date codes on each part as would be expected as they were built at different times.  P~
    crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2011 at 11:55AM

Paul, you are a clever man!  And, how did you reproduce the stamp?  What other secrets can we unearth through conversations with you? Wink  Do tell...
    ~Chris

robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2013 at 4:38AM
    I just rebuilt my motor because it would not park.  The contacts inside were solid black from arcing over the years.

If you take it apart, you will find two flat copper contacts with a spring in the center.  Take them out (They are under a white plastic mechanism that rocks back and forth to engage the contacts and engage park).  Here are mine before I cleaned them up:

I cleaned them up with some Emory cloth.  Next I had to CAREFULLY bend the tabs inside the wiper housing to clean their underside.  Here they are before I cleaned them up.  The tabs above are out as are the springs:

After that I carefully put everything back together. Here are the clean items back together:

Painted the motor and put the whole thing back together.  Tested per the shop manual and Voila!! It parks !! I'll put the new trans I got from Mike in and bolt in the repaired motor and I should be good to go.  I think it was less than 20 min to fix the relay. It took longer to get the motor out of the firewall.

1973 Gran Torino Sport
    2010 Mazda 6
    2007 Jeep Wrangler
    2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
    GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2013 at 5:02AM
    How low are they supposed to park? Are they supposed to be perfectly flat?
    Griffin
    1973 Gran Torino station wagon
    1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
    1971 Maverick 2 Door
    occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2013 at 8:41AM
    My wipers have a tough time parking and like to pause randomly when operating on low speed. They seem to work OK on high and then I can switch to low after awhile and they'll keep going. When it comes time to park them, I have to turn the wipers on, then turn them off as they are going down, and 1 in 3 times, they will choose to park.

I bet my contacts in my wiper motor could use quite a bit of cleaning up. These pictures will help when it comes to what parts to clean up and how to reassemble it, thanks! Black and white drawings and text in a shop manual are helpful but color pictures like this showing how they look dirty and clean are even more helpful!

Edited by occupant - 09-April-2013 at 8:42AM
    08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
    08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
    still looking for another something
    aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2013 at 10:12AM
    Do yourself a favor and check that the wiper transmission linkage moves freely, I went into my wiper motor/changed out interval wiper governors a few times only to find my linkage was binding up due to lack of lubrication. Just remove the tab that locks the wiper trans linkage to the wiper motor and move the arms/wipers by hand, they should move quite freely. Before finding the actual problem the wipers would stop on the windshield and not park below the hood line, now it works like it should. I couldn't believe how bound up the linkage was, a little carb cleaner on the bushings to clean them out, a few shots of spray lithium grease for lubricating the bushings and all is well now. I hope this helps, Todd 
    www.supermotors.net/22468
    Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
    robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2013 at 2:15AM
    I painted the new wiper trans and installed that yesterday, remounted the wiper motor and tested it.  Works like a Champ !!!  I painted the wiper arms yesterday and hope to put them in tonight.

So if your wipers won't work properly, for less than an hour of your time, you can't beat it.
    1973 Gran Torino Sport
    2010 Mazda 6
    2007 Jeep Wrangler
    2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
    aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2013 at 3:12AM
    Originally posted by robot9000 robot9000 wrote:

I painted the new wiper trans and installed that yesterday, remounted the wiper motor and tested it.  Works like a Champ !!!  I painted the wiper arms yesterday and hope to put them in tonight.

So if your wipers won't work properly, for less than an hour of your time, you can't beat it.

Nice work on cleaning the contacts, they can be a trouble area and a little tricky sometimes to reassemble correctly. Glad to hear to got everything working properly Thumbs Up. Todd
    www.supermotors.net/22468
    Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
    BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2016 at 1:56AM
    I've been debugging the same problem now on my 73.   Similar diagnosis...wiper wouldn't park.  Would stop mid windshield or after multiple switch tries would get close to park.   Called blue oval for a replacement thinking it was the wiper clutch that was the problem.   After receiving the used  wiper motor (was in rough shape.  Looked like it was dropped a couple times.  Cracked cover and a mount broken.) I installed it to try..and viola... worked.   Sat at a bench and swapped parts between mine and the used replacement.    First the cover with the switches, etc and tried both my original and the used replacement the original  wouldn't work (I'm doing this because my original is in stellar shape as compared to the used replacement)   Also, the wipers run run fast in the slow switch position and slow in the fast switch position.   

After closer inspection between the two I notice my original wiper motor end cap on the electric motor was in the different position than the replacement.   Popped the retainer clip and rotated teh end cap and it clicked into a notch in the motor case.  Next I rotated teh motor so the orientation would match the replacement part (this shouldn't matter but did it anyway).  

Now it works perfectly fine.  It appears that this motor was assembled wrong from the factory and the original owner lived with this for 30+years until I bought it from him.   There were no apparent signs of removal or disassembly.  No scratch marks, dirt not disturbed, bolt heads had no marring from tools, etc.

I'm glad this is over.  I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the mechanism or internal switches.  Nothing made any sense.

Now I have to see if i can return the replacement part.

Edited by BackInBlack - 30-April-2016 at 2:13AM
    -John
    1973 GTS
    damienewyorker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damienewyorker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2019 at 5:12PM
    I'm going through the same problem too looking forward to reading this thread.
    73 Gran Torino Wagon - 351C
    68 Ranchero - 302W
    72 F250 - 390W
    BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2019 at 4:45AM
    I found the switch contact inside the wiper motor was different.   I dont remember what I did to fix it but I had to trace everything in the electrical circuit from the switch all the way to the wiper motor.  I found that the switch and wiring were correct in my car, but the wiper motor wasn't assembled correctly.   I also found the rebuild unit was not correct for my year Torino.  I basically fixed my original unit.   

I think these reman units are probably from multi-year Torino LTDs, etc.   and you get whatever they have on teh shelf.  

-John
    1973 GTS
     Post Reply Post Reply