The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 Torino Crites 429/460 Headers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Torino Crites 429/460 Headers
    Posted: 05-May-2011 at 9:30AM
Has anyone tried a set of headers for a 429/460 that Crites has listed on their website? They are listed as 2" primaries, and 3 1/2" collectors. Here is a pic:

They require a person use their motor mounts, which I was planning to anyways, so that won't be an issue, I was just curious as to whether anyone had any experience with them.

They are listed at $390, raw steel, which is $125 less than a set of painted Hooker headers.

1972 Torino
Godzillarich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzillarich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 10:33AM
Love my older style crites. Hated the hookers. Crites dont leak and they.were eaier to install I think the larger primaries tubes might have been worth a couple of hp.
72 Gran Torion Sport

472 Hyd 12.98@105mph

466 Roller 11.59@116.5 Sac Raceway 02/28/2011
11.44@114.5 5/13/11

DYNO 452 RWHP 456 RWTQ

GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 10:56AM
Delete identical topic in Big Block Forum.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 11:39AM
Ok tell me something does the Crites motor mounts make the engine sit different then stock mounts? If they say you must use their mounts either they are just trying to get more of your money or there is some kind of clearence issue with stock mounts.As I just got some stock mounts in great/almost new shape from a Lincoln MARK IV in the junkyard for $20 When I ever get the money for headers I certainly don't want to have to spend more money on mounts to use thier Headers.Anybody have a link to the mounts or know what the difference is between them and why they say it's a must to use with Crites Headers?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzillarich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 12:10PM
From what I understand speaking directly to crites you can use the factory mounts with there headers. You just cant use some other fabed mounts. As far as I know factory mounts are not available new. In my opinion factory mounts are superior if you have em or can get them. .. a good set of used mounts should cost the same or more than the Crites. I would expect to pay around $150 or higher for nice stock units. If you can find in a wrecking yard even better. The big lincolns had them after about 74. It think.it was the Mark v not sure if the Mark IV were the same or not. Used to know back when Ebay was my bread and butter. Rich
72 Gran Torion Sport

472 Hyd 12.98@105mph

11.44@114.5 5/13/11

DYNO 452 RWHP 456 RWTQ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzillarich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 12:22PM
I think you safe with the stock mounts worse case you can sell the lincoln mounts and make a profit. The factory mounts are geting very scarce plus they are a pain to get off a car in the yard . You need a lift or picker. Those mounts are Gold! Congrats on finding a mint pair . If there are more and you got time to snatch three pairs will pay for your headers guarnteed!.. I used to get $129 to $169 for a good refurbished set. Basicaly I would degrease , bead blast and repaint them. Sure wish I would have saved me a pair.. without them Crites mounts are the only option. Rich
72 Gran Torion Sport

472 Hyd 12.98@105mph

11.44@114.5 5/13/11

DYNO 452 RWHP 456 RWTQ

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 1:04PM
The mounts I got are from a 74-75 Lincoln Mark IV with a 460 and I used a mini compact floor jack to lift the motor up after I unfastened the bolts to the crossmember.It wasn't easy as there was no trans to hold the back of the motor but I was able to get them out.I cleaned,blasted & painted the mounts and now are like new.There is photos of them in my progress thread. Unfortunately that is the only old Lincoln in the junyard but if I ever run across another in the future I will check out the mounts knowing how rare they are. orlnslloyd is the person who told me in my thread in the BigBlock section which mounts to get and posted a photo of some used factory mounts so I knew what to look for.Those Headers look nice and glad to hear that they will work with factory mounts.When the time comes I will look into getting a set of those headers.Thanks for the info Rich
orlnslloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orlnslloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 2:53PM
Just to be clear on the cars these mounts are in. '73-'76 MIV and '77-'78 MV all with a 460. There are plenty more models, Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, with the same chassis too.
'72, GTSFB, 460, C6, 3.70
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2011 at 1:13AM

Well, also considering that the Crites headers are $125 cheaper than the Hookers, that would make up for having to buy their motor mounts anyways...

Supposedly Crites is changing suppliers so I won't be able to get a set of mounts or headers for a couple weeks, so I will just have to wait.

1972 Torino
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2011 at 3:25AM
You may have to hound them.. After 2 calls trying to order a hood scoop (both times taking my CCard #, mind you), I gave up.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2011 at 3:40PM
I was doing some reading about Crites Headers and some were saying they hang down low below the A arms.I know full length headers sometimes present clearence issues just wondering how low they actually hang and how much ground cleaarence there is?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzillarich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2011 at 3:39PM
I have the old style that 1/2 & 5/6 tubes go under the front A arms. Every cylinder has an indvidual tube the collectors slip onto the tubes. The new style is more like hookers design but larger. I believe you will have about the same clearence as a set of hookers. My headers would not fair well on the street . I had to make bump stops for mine. If I jammed on the brakes to hard they would bottom out on the asphalt.. My solid rubber stops eliminated that problem. An average speed bump would ruin my day though. Rich
72 Gran Torion Sport

472 Hyd 12.98@105mph

11.44@114.5 5/13/11

DYNO 452 RWHP 456 RWTQ

VorbottenO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VorbottenO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 1:02PM

Just a reminder, the Crites also will not work on column shift cars.

I tried every which way from Sunday to get the cable to stay off the headers using modified brackets as the original would hit the pipes.
Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzillarich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 1:19PM
So what did you do? Change to a floor shift? The first thing I did bwas get a floor shifter when I swapped to a big block.
72 Gran Torion Sport

472 Hyd 12.98@105mph

11.44@114.5 5/13/11

DYNO 452 RWHP 456 RWTQ

72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2011 at 2:32AM
I went to Summit yesterday to get some parts and got the Lokar trans mount floor shift unit...

Now I just have to hunt down a floor shift steering column...
1972 Torino
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2011 at 3:30AM
Originally posted by 72BoB 72BoB wrote:

I went to Summit yesterday to get some parts and got the Lokar trans mount floor shift unit...

Now I just have to hunt down a floor shift steering column...

Good luck. I just decided to make one. Ouch
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VorbottenO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 1:56PM
I have found the BBF 72 to be challenging even if original especially if you are trying to add a few perfomance features.
I ended up using Hooker headers with my column shift and was able to get the clearances I needed. The only other issue is that the connectors dump very close to the cross member and if you have standard motor mounts the engine can torque enough to allow contact contact.
The Crites mounts limit the torque travel is limited by the through bolt preventing this.

Jeff, are you now ticked off that I found that car?   lol
Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

Speedway 650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedway 650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2011 at 3:26PM
  Maybe four years ago, I bought the Crites mounts and headers for my '73 Merc Montego. As the summers have past, I find the 400 is still propelling me down the road and the 460 still sits on the blocks in the garage.  Well....THIS SUMMER WILL BE THE ONE.....when I FINALLY get the 460 installed.....or so I have been saying lately.
   I just read this and other threads on here about the "early" style headers that I bought. I did know about the low tube clearance the design offered. I had assumed Crites couldn't fit the tubes all in above the suspension...then they do it. Hmmm? The reason I hurried and bought them when I did without more research was that I read on the Internet that they were discontinuing the big block install kit. It must be they were improving it, instead. But the real kick in the pants here is the issue I read about some part of the header not allowing the column shift to work.Angry 

Why will the column shift not work? Where is the contact? I was not looking to go to a floor shift. I guess the main reason is I was not looking to go shopping for bucket seats and a console that will work in the Merc, then need to be recovered to match. My time and money are rather limited at this point. Just popping a cheap shifter out of a box on the floor infront of the bench and then leaving the column as built for the shifter doesn't appeal to me. Since the rest of my original interior is really quite nice and the bench is splitting out, I did need to have an upholstery shop do front seat work already. Are there any suggestions for seats and shifters? What about known issues with going to a floor shift swap?

Thanks for the advanced warning about the shift issue. I'd hate to have had the problem suprise me this summer when I was trying to fininsh the swap!
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2011 at 1:55AM
The reason I am going with a floor shift is because Lokar has some really nice products out there that are top quality. I went with the transmission mounted automatic shifter, with the stock brushed aluminum mushroom knob. It looks great, and if I measured right, it should fit nicely between my bench seat and dash because my kit comes with a braket that allows up to 10" of longitudinal adjustability, plus a bit of latitude as well. If you want even more flexibility, you can get the floor mount units that bolt anywhere on your floor and use a cable (my floor shift unit uses a solid rod linkage, but can also be had with a cable).

Plus they make really shifter boots and polished trim rings that finish the shifter off nicely.
1972 Torino
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2011 at 8:38AM
Originally posted by VorbottenO VorbottenO wrote:

I have found the BBF 72 to be challenging even if original especially if you are trying to add a few perfomance features.
I ended up using Hooker headers with my column shift and was able to get the clearances I needed. The only other issue is that the connectors dump very close to the cross member and if you have standard motor mounts the engine can torque enough to allow contact contact.
The Crites mounts limit the torque travel is limited by the through bolt preventing this.
Jeff, are you now ticked off that I found that car?   lol
Eric,the body was in decent shapeand I got it for a good price and why I bought it.When I went up there the kid didn't even have a good battery to turn it over and jumping it with cables didn't work either.I wasn't worried so much about the 429 as I have the 74 351C that was in my 73 Torino I had 17 years ago.The 429 was not seized and after getting it home with a good battery it cranked and with some fresh gas(tank empty) it fired up bad had carb issues.For awhile I still thought of getting a small block C6 tans and swapping the Cleveland till I looked into the Hp differenceNas both motors originally are 2v and less hp then 4v engines the 429 had more advertised stock hp and as I have the moints now and the floor shifter sticking with the 429 is not such a big issue and can always modify headers or trans crossmember for clearence as I have a welder and I am good with fabrication so staing with the 429 presented a few challenges but ccertainly don't wish that I bought itBjust wish I had the funds to buy all the parts and build it faster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VorbottenO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2011 at 3:08PM

Column shift issue:

Three real areas of challenge,
First, the bracket that hold the shift cable to the bell housing projected about 1" to far out so you would have to fabricate a new retaining bracket. When I attempted this, I could not get clearance that did not put the cable in a bind.
Second, trying to route the cable around the primary pipe, could not prevent contact again without putting the cable in a bind. Even tried a longer cable with no luck.
Finally, the collector pipes were so close to the tranny that the actual shift lever and kickdown would hit the pipe. This could have been fixed with a big hammer.

With a floor shift, you are above the headers with plenty of clearance.

Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2011 at 2:22AM
Well, I found a deal I could not pass up on an already assembled 472 this past week and I picked it up yesterday... Balanced and blueprinted with worked over C9 heads for cheap...

...Now I'm just waiting on the Crites stuff...
1972 Torino
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2011 at 2:24AM
Crites mounts with Hooker headers are a handful, be advised. 

Paul
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2011 at 6:51AM
I'm getting the Crites headers to go with the Crites mounts.
1972 Torino
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2011 at 7:05AM
Bob that is sweet< a 472 is gonna give you alot of ponies

Anyone know what the valve size is on 1969 C9VE-A heads? I want to have hardened valve seats installed for the unleaded fuel and then get a port kit and open them up to breath better.I hear everyone mention the DOVE heads, what is the difference between the 2 and is it worth searching for a used set?I have to find out how big a lift cam that I can go with the C9 heads and stock 10:5:1 pistons.I'm gonna get new pushrods,double springs,retainers,lifters and roller rockers but have to make sure on the clearence of the valves with a high lift cam.I am hoping for .562 lift or somewhere close but don't want to go over.600 lift
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2011 at 6:16AM

2.09" intake and 1 65" exhaust, C8VE, C9VE, D0VE, D2VE, D3VE.

All will make great power if ported well, all can be machined to accept a 2.19/1.71 setup and make even more power..

Jim
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VorbottenO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2011 at 3:05PM
Crites mounts and Hooker Pro Comp headers worked well for me.
Only thing I noticed was minimal (and I mean minimal) header clearence at the trans crossmember.
This is a result of the slightly higher mounts but not that big of a deal.
Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

Post Reply Post Reply