The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel cell bulkhead?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel cell bulkhead?
    Posted: 08-May-2011 at 12:53PM
Has anyone here installed a rear bulkhead in place of or behind their rear seat to comply with sanctioning body rules for fuel cells?  If so, to what extent do you need to worry about sealing it?  Water tight?  Is it more of just a blast panel?

Most importantly, how about the rear quarters behind the interior trim?  There are several large holes in the interior panel (under the trim) and the quarter is open to the trunk.  Does this all have to be sealed up too?  If so, how do you retain the rear quarter glass?  Or don't you?  Would the plastic interior trim be good enough?

Pictures would be extreamly helpfull.

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 1:44PM
Carl-
Personally, I would seal up the entire back half with sheet aluminum out to the quarters with some crush panels glued to the inside skins, and followed with some good 3M seam sealer.
I would wrap it as much as possible.
You've got a lot of steel to protect you in the back of the Torino/montego, but I would not leave it.
Are you running a Fuel Safe cell, with steel can and a bladder? Or just an aluminum/SS cell filled with foam?

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Godzillarich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzillarich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 4:18PM
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/2534000-2534999/2534163_2_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/2534000-2534999/2534163_8_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/2534000-2534999/2534163_3_full.jpg
Here is some pics of mine I been racing for 3 years without any issues. The 1/4 s have a cavity that go through that I didn't seal other than the rear plastic panels. No ones ever asked me about. You need to seal the speaker holes if you don't have any speakers in them. I think I might need to put a couple thin sheetmetal panels in the sides if I do pull out the back side panels. You can see daylight from the trunk area if you stick your head upinto the back quaters. Honestly if your not runing under 11.5 s they don't get too nit picky, as long as your car looks well put together . If your car is a mess or looks like a rust bucket they can get up into your buisness. The goal is safety but they are not looking to send folks home on minor technical issues. They want your $$s. If you have some things that need to be worked out they will usually tell you to fix it before the next visit. Now if your car gos down the track all screwy they will give you a second look .
72 Gran Torion Sport

472 Hyd 12.98@105mph

466 Roller 11.59@116.5 Sac Raceway 02/28/2011
11.44@114.5 5/13/11

DYNO 452 RWHP 456 RWTQ

Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 5:05PM
Hmmm, this is a little interesting since mine has a cell but its really not sealed off at all since my factory rear seat is still there and there are no panels. As far as I know the guy that built didnt really run any class just for fun. Does this matter? My car has run a best of 10.1 in the quarter but that was over 12 years ago back when the guy built it. So would I fail inspection now if I ever took it to the track?
Here are a few pics....

Edited by Blueoval76 - 08-May-2011 at 5:06PM
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzillarich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 5:17PM
10.1 with a 302? That has got to be some motor ! That's insane! I think the trak guys will get all up in your stuff iff your truly that fast . You will need to cover the bases . If you tell them the car runs 10s they might give you crap ,but if your not sure than they will let you slide until you make that first pass. Ain't nobody going to believe that a heavy Torino with a SBF is running 10s until you show them.
72 Gran Torion Sport

472 Hyd 12.98@105mph

11.44@114.5 5/13/11

DYNO 452 RWHP 456 RWTQ

Blueoval76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 5:21PM
Lmao!!! Rich it was a stroked 460 and 200 shot of juice that put this beast into the 10.1. I almost feel like finding a 302 that would though!!! Hearing you gets me motivated to pull it off until I look at my bank account and realize that I am just dreaming! Hehe!
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzillarich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 5:42PM
Ok , lmao, I just was looking at your profile... I was thinking you might be dillusional... I know its possiblle but. Not probable. That would be a monster SBF! Allot of $$ to build that one... Fords new 5.0 is freaking amazing though. been checking out youtube . With bolt ons guys are throwing down 11s and I think I seen a high 10s . The car ain't lightweight compared to early mustangs in race trim but compared to a new camaro it is . I glad your not a BSer. A stroked 460 with 200 shot is way more believable than a N/A 302 RUNNING 10.1 I have heard a lot of whoopers at truck stops but that one might have topped em all... lol Rich
72 Gran Torion Sport

472 Hyd 12.98@105mph

11.44@114.5 5/13/11

DYNO 452 RWHP 456 RWTQ

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2011 at 1:30AM
I think it depends on the tech guy and the track. I've seen a guy get through with a cracked windshield, who had a sticker over the crack! The crack poked out behind the sticker about an inch. Tech guy saw it, but laughed..
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2011 at 3:23AM
This is for open road racing, not drag racing.  The cell has to be a steel can with a foam filled rubber bladder.  In the event of a wreck it's entirely possible the safety crew could be 30 minutes away or more, so safety is a BIG deal.  They tend to follow SCCA rules more than anything else.

I'm building the bulkhead out of 20 guage steel sheet as it's easier to work with and not much heavier than alum at the required thicknesses (only 8 pounds difference in a 4x10 sheet).  The package tray and rear seat area are easy enough.  The quarter panels are the problem.  I just can't see any way to really seal it up without removing the guarter glass entirely.

The other option is to run the factory tank, but that seems far more dangerous than a proper cell.  Especially since holes have to be cut in the floor to attach the roll bar to the frame.

Edited by Carl - 09-May-2011 at 3:30AM
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2011 at 5:35AM
I Believe if you remove the back panels you can cover the wholes with sheetmetal and stil retain the rear side glass just have to cut a whole around the window crank.The glass and regulater are between the outter quarter and the inner structure so making sheetmetal to cover the wholes will not interfere with the window assembly.Some of the Torino's have fixed rear quarter glass so there are no regulaters.ItKs a safety measure that they want a bulkhead and helps keep fire out of the driver compartment.The want a sealed battery box if it's in the trunk to keep out fumes from getting to the driver.Normally the tank isunder the car sepperated by the metal trunk floor so inside the want a bulkhead between the back seat are incase of a bad wreck it will help keep flames from the driver if it was to ignite the fuel cell or a broken fuel line.
dvldog2513 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvldog2513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2011 at 7:12AM
  1. this is how i covered the back and side of the car and the window still works
Bennie
1972 GTS Q Code
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2011 at 8:23AM
The pics above show the problem.  Unless the quarter window is removed and the inner panel welded to the outer panel, there's a huge hole (for the glass) that's only sealed by belt mouldings.  There will also be a hole for the window crank.  There's also the inner sail panel (C-pillar) under the headliner that's also open to the trunk.

Starting to think the only way is to seal it from the trunk side before it gets too far forward and encounters all the quarter window issues.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzillarich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2011 at 8:33AM
They dont get that detailed for drag racing thankfully . It doesnt need to be air tight just a barrier. . If there is a fire that can get trough window belt mouldings and cause significant injurys its probbaly going to pass through the other barriers also. You are going to be in world of hurt no mater what.
72 Gran Torion Sport

472 Hyd 12.98@105mph

11.44@114.5 5/13/11

DYNO 452 RWHP 456 RWTQ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvldog2513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2011 at 8:47AM
i didn't do mine for a fuel cell mine for a backing for the sound  deadener but in my dirt track car I would add another block over the wheel well 
Bennie
1972 GTS Q Code
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2011 at 10:01AM
I talked to the chief tech inspector.  He said sealing off the quarters would probably be best.  Didn't sound like something they would have knocked me for.  He said they've never run into
the issue on other cars, but I want to keep it as safe as possible.

It's looking like it'll be best to seal up the quarters in the trunk instead of trying to deal with the window, roof, etc. and I'll get to keep the quarter glass functional.  I'll post some pics as I get into it.

Thanks for all the help!

Edited by Carl - 09-May-2011 at 10:03AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvldog2513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2011 at 11:36AM
I have seen a few fires at the dirt track but only one fuel cell blow up.I felt the heat from 200 yards away.the driver had one injury.He burnt his hands getting out because he wasn't wearing gloves.It looked like an atomic bomb because of the mushroom cloud.
Bennie
1972 GTS Q Code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzillarich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2011 at 6:54PM
Ok, I sealed the 1/4 pamelels from the trunk side . It was pretty easy. There is support panel between the wheel weel and upper part of the quaters on each side. I made cardboard templates to fit the cavity . Than traced over some sheet metal. I made tabs so I could pop rivet the block off panels to the inside of the sopports and the wheel well . There are three holes in each supoort that I sealed off with a couple pieces of sheet metal. The panels had small gaps around the inside of the quaters that I sealed with silcone caucking... than I sprayed trunk spackle paint for a nice clean look. I will try and post pics soon. Came out very nice and should pass even the most through tech inspection. The beauty of it is you realy can't tell that any thing was,modified unless you look very closely.
72 Gran Torion Sport

472 Hyd 12.98@105mph

11.44@114.5 5/13/11

DYNO 452 RWHP 456 RWTQ

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2011 at 2:07AM
Originally posted by Godzillarich Godzillarich wrote:

Ok, I sealed the 1/4 pamelels from the trunk side . It was pretty easy. There is support panel between the wheel weel and upper part of the quaters on each side. I made cardboard templates to fit the cavity . Than traced over some sheet metal. I made tabs so I could pop rivet the block off panels to the inside of the sopports and the wheel well . There are three holes in each supoort that I sealed off with a couple pieces of sheet metal. The panels had small gaps around the inside of the quaters that I sealed with silcone caucking... than I sprayed trunk spackle paint for a nice clean look. I will try and post pics soon. Came out very nice and should pass even the most through tech inspection. The beauty of it is you realy can't tell that any thing was,modified unless you look very closely.

Exactly what I have planned.  Picked up the sheet metal and tubing last week.  Decided to remove the fuel tank and lines before I start chopping, cutting and welding.  Probably going to weld the panels in place then caulk vs. pop rivet.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2011 at 5:52AM
Well, here is another suggestion, from Brian's '72 GTS...looking at the Popular Hotrodding article on the web:

Edited by Eliteman76 - 20-May-2011 at 5:54AM
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2011 at 2:52AM
Okay guys, finally got down to doing some work on this problem.  Still need to seal up the package tray and rear seat, but that's easy enough.  What are you guys using for sealer/caulk?  Just general household silicon, or a fuel resistant automotive sealer?

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2011 at 6:24AM
Looks good. That is what I would end up doing .
Are you going to repaint the car? I imagine after spot welding you have not got any paint left.

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2011 at 7:36AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Looks good. That is what I would end up doing .
Are you going to repaint the car? I imagine after spot welding you have not got any paint left.

Definitely need to paint the car, but doubt it's going to happen before the race in August.  Might paint some sort of stripe over the welds, or do a quick scuff-n-shoot on the whole car to make it shiney.
 Post Reply Post Reply