The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

leaded or not

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leaded or not
    Posted: 13-May-2011 at 4:13PM
A friend of mine asked what year ford swapped the fuel type from leaded to unleaded for the 351c 4v and I didnt know when either.  When was it?
-Ben

72 GTS 351c\Q

05 F-150 FX4

BUILT FORD TOUGH!
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2011 at 3:00PM
I believe the Q code was available in 74 model ,which was leaded fuel.they went to unleaded fuel in the model year 75,but the 351 4v was not available for that year,so the Q code was only a leaded fuel engine.unless someone knows different.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2011 at 3:08PM
None of the 351C's were set to run on unleaded fuel in the US. Australia? Used the Cleveland until 1982 I believe.

Chuck
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2011 at 3:35PM
I have a 1974 351C 2v that was in a Ranchero 500 and it was a leaded fuel engine.I ran lead substitute in every tank fullBthen I moved to Arizona in 1992 and they still had leaded fuel thereN~hen I moved back I ran lead additive again as only unleaded was available.you have to take the heads to machine shop and have hardened valve seats installed to run the unleaded fuel in a motor pre 75.It will run but in time will do damage to the heads
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2011 at 4:38PM
A lot of people say you MUST have the hardened valve seats. If you're racing, towing a trailer, hauling heavy loads, sure, by all means, go get the head work done. If you don't have constant heavy use like that, it's not a problem. If someone put hardened seats in my '72 351C that's 10K into a rebuild, fine. If not, fine. I won't be pulling an Airstream anyway.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2011 at 4:54PM
I can't lay my hands on it right now, but I have an article from an old Popular Mechanics or similar from 1971 telling about the new 1972 Torino's. It said the 351C 4V heads had hardened valve seats.
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2011 at 8:03PM
I know my 71 F-250 heads did not have hardened seats in them - the unleaded fuel cupped the exhaust valve seats in about 30,000 miles. There were a ton of other problems with the heads, but certainly that did not help the situation.

A complete head job which included new valves, hardened exhaust seats (only ones to worry about) and valve guides (and other extras) was just under $1100 at a very good machine shop. They were new heads at that time (4 months ago).
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2011 at 6:13AM
yes the exhaust seats are really the only ones need to have the hardened seats installed but you bet on my 69 429 I will have it done as I am gonna rebuild the whole motor and do performance mods so as the heads will already be having a valve job the seats will get done.
Not worth burning up a set of heads.I don't know if they make that lead substitute additive anymore but I used it back in the early 90's when I ran unleaded in my Torino with a 74 351C 2v with 4bbl Carter AFB,Edelbrock Performer intake and Erson 290 duration cam as I was not taking a chance on ruining my heads
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2011 at 8:58AM

Just run AV gas. It has lead in it.Thumbs Up

Jim

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2011 at 12:24PM
when unleaded first came out there was a problem but i'm pretty sure they have something in the  fuel now to help the valve seats, probably been changed several times since 

the 351C became the Q-code in 1971, prior to that the Q-code was a different engine

the Gasoline wiki says legislation began in 1973, but here
they're saying that Amoco always sold unleaded? called White Gas
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply