The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Airbrush Fun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Airbrush Fun
    Posted: 28-May-2011 at 7:30PM
Some of you may have heard me talk about that I do some airbrush work.torinobry has been doing some airbrush work in MI and got me insprired to fire up my airbrushes again so I have been doing some practice projects.I had this clock that HotRod Magazine sent me for subscibing and it had these multicolor hotrod flames and just wasn't good so I took it apart,taped up the bezel and fired up the airbrushes and put some kewl flames on it to really make it bling.
I was at a friends so I borrowed thier PC to post the photos direct
first layer of orange with candy red on top

next layer of orange and Tangerine candy

yellow layer with Pagen gold candy

Finished with Logo umasked

Finished Clock

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 31-May-2011 at 5:11AM
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 7:33PM
BTW ,Bryan if you read this thread feel free to post any of your work on this thread as this can be the community airbrush & Custom paint thread
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2011 at 3:31AM
damn you're not bullsh*tting around with your brushes, very nice work Jeff Clap
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2011 at 7:36AM
Thanks Ilyes came out pretty good next is Bowling Pin & a Mailbox which will have an eagle head that turns into flames then fire from there back.Bowling pin will be intresting cause it is like a verticle cylinder with curves.Thankfully I have a turn table to put it on and rotate it aI flame it.Trying to make some display pieces so I can promote my KustomPainting.I have some Harly Split Tanks that one side will be black with flames and the other half will have something airbrushed on it.Would love to go to some bike shows and set up a display and have biz cards to hand out.V Twin Bikes are fairly easy to paint and can make some quik cash.Painted my neighbors croth rocket and never want to paint those bikes again as too many pieces and have to make jigs to hood the fairings and tank like it is mounted on the bike and they are a pain to paint cause of all the curves and vents.I I ever do another it will be too soon but I will charge bigtime if I havet to so atleast the money will be worth the hassle.I gotta drum up bizness cause after that Chevelle body is done I will be needing work to have money.
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2011 at 10:28PM
Nice work Jeff. You have to charge for your talents. If you don't you are just cheating yourself.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2011 at 4:40AM
Yah well that was the idea to make some sample pieces.My nieghbor did alot of the prep work on his bike and I shot it plus he is gonna be helping me on my jobs so I am getting paid just in labor.it is also advertisment with him riding his bike around with my Paintjob so it might bring work in for the future.Certainly gonna charge for doing a croth rocket more then I charge for a V Twin cause it is twice the work.I usually throw in a little extra effort so my work speaks for itself but I want to get paid for the time to prep and layout and all the labor but will do some extra if it is not too time consuming cause it pays off in the long run cause Word of mouth referals is the best advertisment you can getNIf your work is good it will speak for itself but if your work is great other will speak for you on top of what your work says.I ran a bizness restoring cars for 4 yrs on word of mouth alone and never was looking for work always had people coming to me.The final year I was booked solid and had a 6 month waiting list.It came down to lack of qualified help that basically ended it all cause I was overwhelmed with work and more then I could handle.I'll get to that point again but hoping by that time Carl moves here and finds a big shop so I am not trying to do it alone
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2011 at 7:33AM
I airbrushed this in 2007 I call him Skully

another skull

eagle head

Harley Peanut Tank

a Custom chopper Bike I painted years ago

Indian Chief MC with Hotrod flames

My Neighbors bike I painted last month

some hand painted lettering I did with 1Shot sign paint and lettering brushes

yellow rose

A dragon sketch that will be airbrushed on my Explorer when I ever get time to repaint it

sketch design I drew but haven't airbrushed yet

here is my arsenal of airbrushes

me painting hotrod flames 10ft tall ones

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 31-May-2011 at 8:02AM
lilpanther View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilpanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2011 at 6:49AM
Sorry it took me so long Jeff.
Justin
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2011 at 6:53AM
No biggie Justin I was at a friends and was able to post them myself I didn't bother to post the photos of the parts in my boooth but it's ok that you did. I won't always be able to borrow a computer to go online so I aprreciate the help you give me with posting my photos
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2011 at 2:43PM
Started the next project,I am painting an eagle head with flames coming off it on the side of a mailbox.I think I am going to paint sokething different on the other side But not sure what yetn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilpanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2011 at 2:50PM
Sound's cool, So where's the pic's? I need to get my airbrush spraying right again so I can try my hand at airbrushing again.
Justin
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2011 at 5:41PM
Not revealing the photos till it's done .
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2011 at 4:05AM
Very nice work, Jeff. You have quite a talent.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2011 at 4:33AM
Thanks Joe, I really want to get more into airbrush & custom painting for a living as restorations take so darn long and sometimes I lose motivation during a long build but I enjoy the airbrush work as zi get to create something from nothing and watch it take shape as I paint and wanting to see the final product motivates me to finish just so I can see the end result.   When cars give me troubles I am more likely to walk away out of frustration and lack the motivation to go back and continue but airbrush work for me is relaxing and enjoyable and even if I don't like a part I just painted I can erase it with paint and try again and fix the problem in a matter of minutes where as cars are not always that simple and problems can take hrs or days to fix.I would love to make money at something I enjoy so much but with this economy it can be hard to get the work especially what I need to charge for some of the real detail work.     Hopefully in time I will pick up some custom paint jobs but for now I'm having fun and building a portfolio as I paint different stuff and will have samples of my work to show future clients
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2011 at 5:43PM
Here is a sneak peak at the artwork for the mailbox I will be airbrushing   http://m103.photobucket.com/albums/JeffsCustomPaint/Airbrush%20art

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilpanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2011 at 6:19PM

Edited by lilpanther - 06-June-2011 at 3:36PM
Justin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilpanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2011 at 6:22PM

Edited by lilpanther - 06-June-2011 at 3:37PM
Justin
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2011 at 12:45PM
Justin I appreciate the help but you have the photos out of sequence.I know they upload to the album in the wrong order.If you can edit your reply take the in progress photos off as they don't need to see the steps only the final result.I have those photos cause I am writing a How To with the photos for the Airbrush Forum I belong to.My local library has compters I can go online so 5 days a week I can get internet access to post photos and such.I appreciate the help you have given but they don't always load in order so it might be better if I take it from here.Thanks
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2011 at 5:57PM

Hey Jeff, my 20 year old daughter is not just keen but VERY keen on air brushing. She is currently doing a course and loving it. She has always been into cars and the art etc. would you have any pointers for her in the way of direction for work ?

I guess it’s a matter of slotting into a panel working/ painting side of things first

I have a picture somewhere of a Torino door she straightened, dressed and painted with a flame job while at school.  I will have a look and load it up when I can.

1973 Q code sports roof
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2011 at 9:21PM
Well I couldn't find the old photo of my daughters Torino door that she airbrushed at an age of 15, but here is some current jobs of hers. note some are not complete but will get done eventually.  

1973 Q code sports roof
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2011 at 9:39AM
I'm not good at portrait painting but tell her to join www.airbrushtech.info it's a great airbrush forum with talented artists as well as beginners and belonging to airbrush forums have helped me with tips and techniques as well as posting your work and getting constructive criticism.Sometimes it helps for others to look at your work to see what is lacking and give you tips on how to improve it.Formal training such as schooling is also very helpful.I went to an 3 day airbrush class in Easton,Massachusetts but that is all the formal training I have had besides any art class in elementary school which don't teach you to airbrush.I'm sure these days the high schools might offer airbrush art but other then that and or colledge airbrush art schools are not cheap.I have always had some artistic ability and did alot of drawing and doodling when I was young but never took any specific art classes to learn or better my talent.I kinda wish now that I did take some art classes in high school but in Junior and Senior years I was taking Autobody class which became my career and the airbrush came about 6-7 years ago to further detail and shade some of the graphics on custom paintjobs and then met a guy who I became good friends with who is a T-Shirt & Appearel Airbrush Artist and then I wanted to get into some artwork with the airbrush.That is his trailer that I painted the hotrod flames on the side marquis.I'm still learning myself alot with airbrush art and have another friend who lives nearby who I met from one of the airbrush forums and he is a very talented artist and does photo realistic airbrush portraits and other airbrush art.I can pick things up just by watching them paint.I worked for my friend who does the T-shirts as his counter sales and learned alot of the basics from him and watching him paint and then learned some stuff from the forums and trying it myself.Most important lesson of airbrushing is control of the airbrush which is learned by practicing dots,lines and dagger strokes
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2011 at 12:33PM
The days of the "old school" flame job (were their were was a solid break line between the part and flame)  seem well gone (unless required), the flame work you have done on the clock is just so realistic it blows my mind. I think in the business you call it "fading" ? (yes I am an ignorant bastard). Back in the day I would have not considered flames but now I would certainly consider it assuming they could offer work like yours.
It impresses me that you are self taught, and the work I have seen is high quality, so obviously it is a passion for you.
My daughter seems to be going the same way. she has been working in a bakery since leaving school, but air brush work is her passion along with spraying in general. she looks like a tomboy in the photo so I will post a photo below of her all dressed up.
I will pass on the fact there is a website forum she can go too, I think she is unaware of the fact.
Thanks for your input bud.

Cara (20)

1973 Q code sports roof
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2011 at 6:44PM
Yes that is a good forumBthe people are very nice.I have been on many airbrush forums but that one is now home.I started out on kustomkulturelounge.com when I went to a custom paint seminar that our local auto paint supplier put on and Craig Fraser a very well known airbrush and custom painter was who they had demonstrating some techniques and he was the one who told me of his airbrush forum so I started ther first. I looked for other forums and joined as many as I could find and then found some to be full of drama and trouble makers who liked to start arguments so I stopped going to those and posted alot on KKl.Had a few times arguments with some members but let it go cause it was better then the other sites.When I lost my internet I stopped going on the airbrush forums cause they take longer to load with mobile.Finally when I started airbrushing again I went back but the site had got hacked and they were in the process of repairing it.When I checked back weeks later after they fixed it there wasn't alot of posting going on so I got bored and had to find the URL of the site I posted earlier cause it was saved on my computer but they had changed from .net to .info so I forgot and couldn't find it till I did a google search.Seems like all the regulars I knew on KKL stopped going there or posting so don't get any response to my threads so I went back to airbrushtech.info cause I had frequented that site alot after I joined it and everyone there has been friendly and welcomed me back after my absence like nothing changed.There are members from different countries besides United States so it is great.I do miss the members I knew well on the other forum and don't know where they went.I even have had conversations on the phone with a very talented and also very attractive female artist from Iceland.She started teaching and Craig Fraser went to Iceland to teach.After that he hook her up in the industry & was having her fly to different countries to teach classes. She got very busy & we lost contact with each other
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2011 at 7:24PM
KKL is still a good forum just that the regulars there now don't know me so I don't get response like years ago when I was a regular.Now it has a few of the same but seems like a new group of members are the regulars and guess I donkt fit into thier click or something so I pretty much stick to airbrushtech where everyone is friendly to all the members and reply to you wether you are old or new member.They have it so you can set up a gallery and have a weekly art show where members post work both old and new.there is a How to section and the members are the ones who have made the How to's with techniques or artwork they have done with step by step photos and details how they did it. Basically it is a airbrush forum counterpart to this forum where all the members are friendly and helpful as well as knowledgeable so it is a great forum to belong to and has many sections and has things for beginners to experts.It's amazing what you learn from the forums.Heck you think my work is good?there are members that are 10 times better then me and if you seen thier True Fire Flames you would laugh at mine. Google Patrick Guyton and check out his Real Fire painting. He did a silver Toyota P/U that looks to be engulfed in real fire. He took the technique that Mike Lavalee created and is selling his DVD with Stencils and how to do it but Patrick took the techique to a new level and schooled the teacher.That clock was my first attempt at something smale scale.I do better on bigger scale and want to do a car hood for a sample so that will put the clock to shame.Real or True Fire as they call it is a hard technique to learn,probably the hardest for me to learn but you get better the more you practice and look at others who are doing it well and study what you see and try to create what they have done or get good photos and paint what you see.I'm getting better at it but yet to master it like others have done but I will get there.I mastered the old skool hotrod flames about 15 or more years ago.Real Fire is new school and harder
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2011 at 7:45PM
OMG this is one SICK job man
1973 Q code sports roof
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2011 at 7:50PM
I just showed Cara the pic and her jaw droped, cheers for going to the trouble posting above Jeff
1973 Q code sports roof
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2011 at 4:20AM
Told ya,Patrick made a name for himself by airbrushing that truck.He certainly took the technique and made it his own by adding the black smoke.If you go to www.killerpaint.com that is Mike Lavalee's site and is the guy who created the technique and then started cashing in by selling his How to DVD's then he got with Artool and design the Truefire Templates and cash in again. Mike does nice work and his stuff looks wicked too but I think Patrick topped him with that truck and really showed you can always take it a step further.There are some others who have video's like Ed Hubbs who show thier way of doing Real Fire on youtube video as well as other painters.Just search youtube for True Fire,Real Fire or maybe even airbrush fire and you should find alot.The technique has been out for about 6 yrs but I think like old skool hotrod flames it will be here forever.If you can paint fire your sure to make money with it.Don't know how it is in New Zealand but in the states it's everywhere but if your one of the few in your area or country that is doing it you certainly will have people knocking at your door so I highly advise her to learn how to paint it.it will take alot of practice and many failed attempts but ya just have to keep at it till you figure it out.The more you practice it the better you get.Get alot of really good reference photos and print them out.Study the different shapes you see then study others work and watch videos of it cause there are many on youtube so you don't have to spend $60 US on a DVD.You can make your own templates as other do cause the True Fire template kits are really expensive. I bought some clear solvent proof plastic and cut my own with exacto blades but there are people who have gotten old X-Ray films and used them to cut them out or manilla file folders which eventuall have to be replaced but cheap and easy to cut new ones.I spent the money on solvent proof plastic so I can take the paint solvent and wipe them off after it starts to get built up from using them all the time

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 12-June-2011 at 5:27AM
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2011 at 5:12AM
Don't know what they offer in your country for paints but I stick with the automotive urethane bascoats for painting fire. People have tried it with acrylic waterbased paint but not geg the same effect cause the secret is the transparent candy colors used over the opague colors that makes it pop.Mike Lavalee came up with all the colors to use and he uses House Of Kolors but SEM Color Horizon's makes a custom paint line and has simular colors just different names.I matched up the two opague colors in PPG DBC basecoat cause I can have mixed in small quanity where as with HOK you have to buy a quart of the Chrome Yellow & Molly Orange unlless you buy one of the House of Kolor True Fire kits which comes with all the colors in small qty. The Candy colors In HOK are Pagen Gold,Tangerine and Candy Apple Red.Tell her to join the forum and if she ever has questions about anything to post them on the airbrush forum and she will get answers,there is either someone who can tell you or tell you where to look.I know in some countries it is harder to get certain supplies and have to be imported so I don't know what products and brands are available there or how expensive it is to have stuff shipped in and can determine if it is affordable to do.Well I am sure I gave her a whole lot to think about.If she does join the airbrush forum have her mention me,I go by KewlKustomPaint .Wish I toke this up at her age cause by now I would be far advanced then where I am but some people are just born with natural talent and just need to learn some basics and they are very good from the beginning.
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2011 at 8:32PM
Sorry I haven't replied sooner, work and crap at home been getting to me. 

I have herd of some of the brand names you mentioned, some of these are available here, I think if its a paint that's not available here, importing it would be costly due to it being a flammable item.
My baby is absorbing everything you have posted and going to pursue it. Youtube has been a good help for her too.
Thanks for your input again bud.  
1973 Q code sports roof
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2011 at 8:10AM
no problem the forums have helped alot with advancing my skills.looking at others work inspires you to try it yourself and with How to's and everything as well as the help you get just by asking a question is very helpful. the airbrush community is very friendly and even the well known Top artists are down to earth and will help you out. When I went to the 3 day class in MA my teacher was the famous Nub from Nub Graphix in NY who most know his fame from painting the OCC bikes on American Chopper in the early years till they built the new facility and hired in house painters cause they started building production bikes> I believe I heard Nub was doing some painting for Pauly after him and his father had a falling out and Paul left OCC and started his own biz building bikes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>