The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

powersteering pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: powersteering pump
    Posted: 05-July-2011 at 1:55PM
last yr. had trouble keeping steering belt tight. Replaced this spring and it still sings and steering wheel jumps with tight turns. Is it my pump not the belt?

there I corrected your typo spelling error in the title as i figured it was a pump not pomp,LOL

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 30-August-2011 at 7:22AM
rebsar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2011 at 4:04AM
I have a 302 that has a aluminum PS pump bracket----and it actually warped so the PS pulley was not aligned, and would have a tendency to lose/eat belts!  I had to shim the pump straight again to the bracket.  CHeck your pulley alignment?

I always wondered if there was another bracket, a good steel one I could use from an ealier year (mine is a 78), but never investigated----?
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2011 at 4:15AM
I've tried the same pump in two different vehicles and found that the wheel would seemingly randomly get 'tight' for an instant if turning a sharp turn. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2011 at 6:48AM
If I had the time to play I would try the 78 pump.Took me 3mo just to get to a head gasket job on daughters sunfire.In the mean time she broke my 99 tourus.Kids got to love them.
MXBrougham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXBrougham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2012 at 10:23AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

I've tried the same pump in two different vehicles and found that the wheel would seemingly randomly get 'tight' for an instant if turning a sharp turn. 

Back in the day that was called Power Steering Pump Catch. 70's Chryslers were notorious for it. Just go ahead and replace the pump. Those CII pumps were bad about getting noisy as they aged. Ford used 'em on everything until I believe 2004. Try a late (mid 90's) one from a salvage yard first. If that does not work, then parts store. You will have to change the pulley to your V-Belt set-up. Just rent the tools from AutoZone or somebody. Ford began using them in 77 as the universal replacment for both the Eaton (small/medium cars) and Saginaw (large car/truck) pumps. You will find all the hose fittings are the same as well so no problems there. In fact, when the PS pump on my wife's 84 Volvo went bad (it was a GM Saginaw design) I used one I had sitting around that had come off a 80 Buick Electra with 4.1 V6. It bolted right in with the same size/thread (metric) bolts the Volvo used and the hoses also fit with no adaptations needed. Even the Volvo PS bracket was identical to the GM one. So there is a lot of interchangability between brands. That's why I say ANY CII pump off ANY 77-04 Ford product will work with a pulley change.  
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2012 at 2:43PM
Since posting this, I found a way to bleed them nicely and get noiseless function. Do it by hand with the belt off. Takes awhile, but works. I since replaced the pump, bled it nicely, and have had no issues. 
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
MXBrougham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXBrougham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2012 at 3:31PM
Cool!
Mark S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2012 at 8:26AM
Um, how does one bleed a power steering pump? I need to replace the one in my 84 Mustang...
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop
2004 Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition
71 Torino GT 429CJ (sold too many years ago to count...)
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2012 at 11:46AM
After installing the pump, leave the belt off. Spin pump by hand for 20 or so revolutions, in the direction of the engine rotation. Turn the steering wheel a quarter turn in any direction.. repeat spinning of pump, filling as necessary.. Repeat procedure until you turn the wheel against the stop. Then go in the other direction fully, alternating between spinning the pump and the wheel.

The aluminum Ford pumps are VERY susceptible to noise. Once they start groaning, they never stop. 
Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply