The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

302 Intake Manifold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwiggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 302 Intake Manifold
    Posted: 06-July-2011 at 1:31PM
I just put in a rebuilt 302 into a 68 Torino GT.  It has a 2BBl 2100 carb.  The only thing I reused was the intake manifold.  Had it cleaned and they removed the aluminum plate from the bottom.  I put the plate back on using the original pins.  When I start the car now and rev it up I get an awful tinny sound.  The only thing I can think of is that plate vibrating.  Was I supposed to seal the plate with gasket compound or something?  What is the purpose of the plate?  Should I just spring for a new manifold?
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2011 at 5:52PM
If it's what I'm thinking of, the plate is used to deflect heat away from the base of the carb. 
Chuck
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
rwiggle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwiggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2011 at 2:50AM
I pulled the intake off again this morning and it does look like that is it's purpose.  Could this be the cause of the tinny sound when the engine revs?  Should I use gasket sealer to deaden it?
rwiggle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwiggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2011 at 6:35AM
I did get some good advice from the owner of Melvin's Classic Ford Parts.  He said to replace the push rivets with screws to tighten the plate.
orlnslloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orlnslloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2011 at 2:14PM
It is to keep oil from coking up because of the heat riser passage. The passage is right there at the bottom of the manifold. It is usually full of coked up oil when removed.
'72, GTSFB, 460, C6, 3.70
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2011 at 9:25AM
Replace the rivets with screws, make sure there is nothing in the pan and then when it is in place make sure it is not rubbing against the bottom of the manifold OR if it is against the manifold it is TIGHT against the manifold to prevent vibration.

IF you take good care of the car and change the oild on a regular basis... you can take the plate off with no worries.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
rwiggle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwiggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2011 at 9:32AM
Thanks, I think I will remove it then.  Once I save up my pennies I will probably put a 4 BBL on.  Any suggestions on the best carb for a stock 302 with auto trans and no EGR?  Maybe a Holley 390 or 570?
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2011 at 9:38AM
Holley 600 or 650 4bbl with vacuum secondaries.

Or just go to Edelbrock and order a kit. Intake and carb combo, might even go with a cam intake carb combo
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
torinobry View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinobry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2011 at 12:46PM
well carl this is were me and you disagree . ive went thought 2 edelbrock carbs they are junk thats my opinion. go holley as for the edelbrock carbs BOAT ANCHORS.......
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2011 at 4:02PM
Bry, we do not disagree on that!
I HATE EDELBROCK CARBS!

I LOVE AND STAND BY HOLLEY ALL THE WAY!

I recommended that set up for this guy as it is a bolt on sytem that requires no thought.
Surf the site, check your wallet, and buy the set up you want(mild, street, or wild).
Easy enough to bolt on and go from there.

HOLLEY ROCKS!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2011 at 4:04PM
I like Edelbrock carbs as long as you are not taking them upstairs in the RPM's. I had to put a Holley on my Mustang because when I hit second gear the car would fall on it's face.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
inenidok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inenidok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2011 at 9:19PM
for me i will never use a holley had one on a cutless i had 350 motor the  i just put gas in it got on it to get back on the road in traffic power valve blowed and the car burnt to the ground in the middle of the road and i had but a few thousand dollars in the car. a few months back, and then i put a edlerbrock on a 302 73 ford 4x4 it was 600 cfm, mild built motor, runs great to this day my friend owns the truck now it had been on there since 99, had to rebuild it once, so for me when i come across a holley i keep walking, i wont pick one up to take to the recycle yard, to much energy to bend over to pick up junk

Edited by inenidok - 23-July-2011 at 9:20PM
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2011 at 6:44AM

blown PV ain't gonna cause a car fire

i'll be surprised if the tinny noise ends up being the manifold oil baffle, was it loose when you re-checked it?

are the rivets a little different on one side than the other like a staggered pattern?
i've always just set the rivets back in a different position and never had a problem with them being loose

Edited by Rockatansky - 24-July-2011 at 6:49AM
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply