The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 GTS thunderjet 429 4v SWAP!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 GTS thunderjet 429 4v SWAP!
    Posted: 20-September-2011 at 6:50PM
Hi I just got a 72 GTS FastBack with a bad 400 and I was wondering what parts would I need if I swap in a 1968 429 4V thunderjet?
torkair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2011 at 3:57AM
You will need a set of motor mounts and exhaust it it is a complete motor.
72 Gran Torino "sport"- in progress

73 Ranchero GT- Q code-460/C6/3.25 open rear
SocalTorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2011 at 9:50AM
The motor is complete out of 1969 thunderbird.
What motor mounts and exhaust do I need the ones from the torino or thunderbird?
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2011 at 10:38AM
torino.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2011 at 11:18AM
Will the stock torino 400 2V motor mounts work?
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2011 at 1:31PM
nope.  you need 429/460 mounts and block plates.
Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2011 at 1:59PM
Where can I find them and how much do they cost?
madmaxtorino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zombie Killing Training Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2011 at 2:04PM
I have two extra sets. i would let one go 4 100 plus shipping.
                                              allan

Edited by madmaxtorino - 21-September-2011 at 2:05PM
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2011 at 2:41PM
Any they are 72 torino 429 mounts with the plate too?
VorbottenO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VorbottenO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2011 at 3:04PM

That is a good price for original Torino BB mounts... grab them.

The other option (Crites replacements) are about $200.
What transmission was behind the 400? Planning on keeping it or using the Tbird C-6?

As far as exhaust, you can have the system fabricated by your area exhaust shop or you can try and find headers but expect to pay over $500 for them and another 2-300 for the rest of the exhaust.
Also, do you have all the brackets, etc... still on the 429? If not, many of your 400 brackets will not work and you will need replacements.
Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2011 at 3:28PM
that is a good price.  a couple years ago i have a couple sets and sold them for mroe than that on ebay.
I did this swap on a 73 ranchero.  that 400 should have a C6 behind it.  for exhaust, if what is on it is good, then any competantr exhaust shop should be able to mate it up.  If i remember right, one side was good, the other side they had to cut the pipe and lengthen it a little bit.
accessory brackets are easy to find on ebay.  if the bracket thats bolted ot the p/s pump is the style with three studs coming off the top that fit into another bracket that botls to the front of the motor, you only need the bracket that bolts to the front of the motor as the bracket thats botled ot the pump is the same no matter engine size.
the other thing is you will probably have to cut/notch out your fan shroud.  429/460 uses a different shroud.  one tip here is to check out junkyards for the mid/late 70's town cars with 460's.  the shroud is identical to the shroud used on the 72/up 429/460  torino's.  your factory radiator will work too.  just get hoses for a 72 torino with a 429.

Edited by mcford - 21-September-2011 at 3:31PM
Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2011 at 3:33PM
So all I need is the motor mounts?
Does my C6 on my 400 fit?
I was thinking of using the stock 429 headers and having the exhaust shop make the rest of the exhaust.
The 429 is all complete with A/C compressor too
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2011 at 12:54PM
yes, 400 has the same bell housing bolt pattern as the 429/460.
Mike
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2011 at 4:23PM
The mounts I have are the correct ones you will need. PM me if you want them or need more info. I could post some pics but may be sat before I can post them.  Mounts and plates!

Edited by madmaxtorino - 22-September-2011 at 4:24PM
Allan
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2011 at 4:48PM
You[ll need the throttle cable from a 429/460 '72-76 Torino,Ranchero  #D3OZ  9A758-C,                 22 1/2'' long.  As far as motor mounts & fan shroud go, mid seventies T Bird/ Mark lV will work for you. p.s. you'll  need the kickdown rod if I remember also. Good luck on your project, &  post pics. if you decide to take the project on.
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2011 at 8:34PM
Thanks a lot guys for the info.
Do you guys think I should dump the 400 and go with the 429?
I will let you know on the motor mounts, PM you soon.
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2011 at 12:04AM
my 400 throttle cable and kick down rod worked on my 73.
Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2011 at 8:00AM
Okay I'm gona take apart the 400 block to see if it has to be replaced. If it does the 429 4V is a go

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2011 at 7:37AM
Good news I found a 74 ranchero 429 at a local junkyard will the motor mounts and the other parts I need for the swap work from a 74 or does it have to be 72-73 torino?
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2011 at 8:00AM
that will work!  grab everything!
Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2011 at 8:30AM
Okay sounds good! Thanks man.
What's a kick down rod?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2011 at 1:27PM
It's for your passing gear. It goes from the carb to the trans. on the left side. Your 400 part may work for you.  Mine was never hooked up when my swap was done by the prev. owner. I found a 429-460 one, a few years ago but haven't hooked it up yet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2011 at 1:51PM
Congrats. on finding the partscar. If it is a '74 factory big block it will be a 460 as '73 was the last year for the 429 in a Torino/Ranchero. Grab everything you can,and if it's a mid- late year production car it will have electronic ign. as the early production cars had conventional points still. I ran into that with my '74 Ranchero I had. I don't recall the production dates. Hopefully it is a factory bb car, and not a shadetree swap that someone did, like mine was. I had the 351 cobrajet throttle cable that wouldn't allow the secondaries to open, not to mention it wouldn't idle below 1500 rpm, they also used the fan shroud from the 351clev. that the fan was chewing up, among other things.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2011 at 2:30PM
okay so all I need is
1. Motor mounts
2. Block plates
3. kick dow rod
4. fan shroud
Thanks a lot for your help.
It does look factory BB going to check the vin number to make sure.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2011 at 2:49PM
I would suggest  the big block coil springs, not the partscar springs, but new for the added weight of the big block. I used, new Moog springs for a Big Block A/C EQUIPT. car, to replace the 351CJ units that were left in mine after the prev. owner did my swap.
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2011 at 2:59PM
Accessory brackets.  i left the 400 front coil springs in mine and it sat fine and drove good.
Mike

Mike
carguy47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2011 at 7:32AM
Hey, if you still have the BBF 429/460 mount sets, I would like to purchase one. Smile
You have to build em to drive em!
73Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2011 at 3:02PM
I would be interested in some BB motor mounts if you still have them as wellSmile
1973 base model Torino
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2011 at 3:55PM
ILL still take 100 plus shipping for my extra set.
Allan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2012 at 5:54AM
Will the motor mounts from a 72 LTD 429 FIT 72 Torino?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>