The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Basic newbie info on 68 Ranchero

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electrohippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Basic newbie info on 68 Ranchero
    Posted: 11-May-2006 at 5:09PM

Hey there!  Sorry if this seems a little ignorant (and long) but... well, it is!  I am a newbie to Fords, and major drive train issues in general.  I have looked for about 2 hours on the web, googling 351 and Ranchero and c4 and 289 and... Well, here's my deal:

I have acquired a pretty OK '68 Ranchero 500 to restomod, though her 289 (so I was told it is) blows oil like a Kuwait oil field. Now, there just happens to be a newly re-built (but sitting a few years) 351 on a stand in the garage where I just moved in that I can HAVE.  It includes many of the parts needed like heads, oil pan, etc., but I don't know if it's a W or a C (it was supposed to go into a 67 [or something] Mustang, if that helps ID it) I have 3 questions (for now): 

1:  How can I ID the engine definately?

2:  The Ranchero has a C4 tranny. Would a W or a C 351 work as an "easy", "bolt-on" swap with the current 289, or do I need a new tranny or bell housing or something?

3:  If this IS going to be an "easy" swap, what camshaft might be recommended (I can't find the one that may have accompanied the engine at one time) for a somewhat "muscle car lope" sound, but that won't die all the time without feathering the gas while idling?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help on my new project!

electrohippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electrohippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 6:12PM
OK, so I have indeed ID's my currently installed engine as a 289 (via the VIN#).  I'm not at home w/ the car, so will have to post later about the the tranny and the engine on the stand I would like to swap to.  Thanks again in advance!
LightningFast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LightningFast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 1:22AM

Hippy,

The 351W didn't come out till 1969...and the 351C came out in 1970..and ceased in the later part of 1973.  The only 335 series motors that continued beyond that was the 351M and the 400M.

ID'ing a 351W from a 351C is easy.  The 351W will have a Thermostat housing built into the intake manifold...where as the 351C's thermostat bolts directly into upper portion of the forward block.

351C's also have a tell-tale 2 or 4 in the lower forward corner of the heads...the cast in 2 or 4 denotes whether they are 2V or 4V heads respectively.

Another quick way to ID a 351W from as 351C is the number of bolts it takes to secure the Valve Covers.  351C's use six...and the 351W uses 8 per valve cover.

Your 289 is a nice little motor...and real power can be had with a better Cam and an Aluminum 4V intake...this is where the 289 Hi-Po's in early Stangs got their punch.

Going to a 351W is a nice shot in the arm...and it's pretty straight forward to do.  A beefed up 351W with a nice aggressive Cam can make for a very "Streetable" Rod....a nicely built C4 Tranny will also get it done...and at a weight savings over the FMX , which I for one have no use for at all.

I hope this helps !!

Edited by LightningFast
1968 Torino GT Fastback
351W 4V W/C4
electrohippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electrohippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 10:42PM

Hi!  Thanks for the help! 

The engine I have on the stand in the garage is a 351W for sure, 1989-91 (got block numbers and decoded on web to be positive). 

So, this will bolt right up to the C4, right?  But what might need to be done to the C4 to make it more able to handle the added torque of the 351?  The C4 was re-built only about 10,000 miles ago, probably only to standard specs, but I am considering just leaving it be (for $$ reasons). Is this a huge mistake?

I also found the cam originally bought when this engine was supposed to go into a mustang, that might be just fine for the Ranchero.  It's a Comp Cam Extreme Energy 274 Hydraulic, xe274h-10 (part number 35-246-3).  Specs are here.  What do you think about this brand of cam?  Anyone have experience with this cam particularly?  Will it make my 351 stall easily, or be hard to tune?  Also, I will want to tow my boat and probably haul some stuff with the Ranchero from time to time, so does the cam play a roll in this type of power need?

Any advice would be welcomed, and thanks again!

LightningFast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LightningFast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 1:21AM

Hippy,

A Cam plays a role in every aspect of your motor...and its end use...It is in fact the Mechanical Brain of the engine.

A C4 will handle just about anything you can throw at it will any Small Block...A shift Kit from either B&M or Transgo might not hurt either.  That's a cheap mod....less than $60.00

I would suggest using a Deep Well pan for the C4...as added fluid helps with cooling your tranny...Heat is an automatics biggest enemy.  Extra fluid and an external cooling are great...it will prolong life in a High Performance scenario...and it's damn near a must for trailer towing ...it is part of most trailer towing packages anyway....and for a good reason.  The good pans go for around $130.00 to $200.00 , depending on the brand.  B&M makes a good one on the low end of the price scale.

Cam selection should be based on the actual needs...and research is far better than opinions in my humble opinion.  Comp Cams makes some very fine products...but my suggestion is to contact Larry Wallace at Holman-Moody to custom grind you a Cam for your 351W.  www.holmanmoody.com  

Larry Wallace is the Cam Guru as you will read on HM website...and a 351W Hyd Roller Cam usually sells for about $145.00...he builds or rather grinds to suit the need.

On the subject of 351W's....if you like Comp Cam's products?  I strongly suggect the Comp Cams Hydraulic "Retro-Roller Lifters" to Rollerize your Non-Roller Block...that's cheap Horse-Power at around $500.00...Contact Atlantic Speed in Rock Hill S.C. at 803-548-6991...they will sell you a set for $489.00 with UPS Shipping included in that price. They also have a store on E-bay under that name.       

The average price for the Retro Roller Lifters is around $549.00 from most Discount sources.   I might suggest Roller Rockers to complete the package...Comp Cams makes good ones..but my choice is Harland Sharp...they invented the Roller Rocker.  Just my preference.

1968 Torino GT Fastback
351W 4V W/C4
 Post Reply Post Reply