The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Color Code Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jharley79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Color Code Question
    Posted: 18-November-2011 at 2:42AM
Does anyone know the color code of this car? 1972 stock green colors are 4b (bright green gold metallic); 4C (ivy glow); 4P (medium green metallic); 4Q (dark green metallic);  I'm pretty sure it's not 4b, or 4Q. I almost think it's 4F (medium lime metallic) which is not a 1972 color.   Any Ideas?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2011 at 5:38AM
looks to be 4B Bright Green Gold metallic if you go to
http://www.autocolorlibrary.com and then type in Ford under make then 1972 you can view the color chips of the paint codes.4B looks the closest.That is Dan the rancheroman's buddies car that was at the GTS.Org show at the Forge Invitational this past Sept.
dan might know the paint code or can find out for sure but looking at the color chips I am almost sure it's 4B

BTW, 4F Medium Lime Metallic is a 1972 Ford color it's on the color chip page,it may not have been a Torino color but it is a 72 ford Color but is a darker shade then the 4B

according to a chart picon3 posted these are the Torino colors

TORINO
EXTERIOR COLORS AND CODES

Color Code
White 9A
Bright Red 2B
Maroon 2J
Light Blue 3B
Medium Blue Metallic 3D
Dark Blue Metallic 3H
Bright Green Gold Metallic 4B
Ivy Glow 4C
Medium Green Metallic 4P
Dark Green Metallic 4Q
Light Pewter Metallic 5A
Medium Brown Metallic 5H
Medium Yellow Gold 6C
Medium Bright Yellow 6E
Gold Glow 6F
Gray Gold Metallic 6J
and Special order
Black 1C

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 18-November-2011 at 6:24AM
jharley79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jharley79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2011 at 6:22AM
Is This color not Bright green gold metallic (4b) ?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2011 at 8:45AM
looks close to it hard to say as some paint manufacturers have different formulas which result in a different shade of other paint companies.
is that your car in the photo? if so what is the paint code in the door jamb say? i know that car has been repainted and if it is done in modern basecoat/clearcoat urethane paint the colors sometimes tend to look differnt then that of the old school single stage lacquer that was put on the 72's from the factory.

also maybe the car in the top photo is 4F,hard to say without seeing the paint code,maybe dan can tell us.there are colors that are not listed in the Torino color chart but are on 72 Torino's and are on the
72 Ford Color chip book as I know a few members car colors not listed by the chart posted here http://forum.grantorinosport.org/1972-gts-up-to-105k-on-ebay_topic6092.html
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2011 at 9:21AM
The first car is inside under artificial lights and the second is outside under natural light. That'll give paint a different look also.
jharley79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jharley79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2011 at 9:42AM
Thanks for the input Jeff. I wish that was my car. My parts car pictured below in the first picture is 4B. The second picture is not my car, but  i believe it is also 4B.  The third picture is the car in question in natural light, and still appears to be darker than 4B. I guess I will try to contact Dan the Ranchero man and see if he can ask his friend.
jharley79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jharley79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2011 at 10:44AM
All right.... I've been told the color is Ivy bronze. Thanks for everyone's input
 Post Reply Post Reply