The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 72 gran torino production number (medium blue)?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 gran torino production number (medium blue)?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 gran torino production number (medium blue)?
    Posted: 22-November-2011 at 1:03PM
Hi.
I have a 72 gran torino sport that originally was a medium blue metallic with laser stripe.
But how many medium blue 1972 gran torino was produced?
Where can I find information about this?

Kim
Kim
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2011 at 2:31PM
I would guess a Marti report would, if you could find one. I would bet that was not a very common color with the stripe.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2011 at 3:02PM
To order the Marti Report on your car, here's the website.  http://www.martiauto.com/reports2.cfm
He has all of the Ford production data and it will include the number of cars with your color, trim level, etc.  Paul~
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2011 at 3:14PM
$15 for a basic report emailed right to you.
Can't beat that!
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2011 at 6:55AM
the problem with Marti report is it is not going to answer the question you asked.

Marti works from the total production down to as low as they can get.

To ask how many Medium Blue cars were made is not a number you will get from the report.
It will first say total Gran Torino, then Total Sport or Formal roof, then engine, tranny, color, interior, lazer stripe, wheels, suspension etc...
But it always goes HIGHEST production number to lowest in order to get your car to 1 of 1 produced.
So the engine/tranny package could be before the Sport/Formal number on 1 report and the the other way around on another.

DON'T get me wrong... Marti Reports are AWESOME!! But they do not answer all the "REAL" questions some people want to know.
As for our cars... even a 1 of 1 is not a gold mine barn find like an original hemi winged road runner.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2011 at 11:51AM
Yes, that is all true. I would like to know about my '75 Sport before I start tearing it apart...
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72 Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2011 at 4:54AM
I have ordered martini report for the car.Smile Strange that it is not possible to determine how many medium blues torino sport that is made.
Thank you guysSmile

Edited by 72 Torino - 25-November-2011 at 4:56AM
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2011 at 12:51PM

Kim,

Here's an example of a Marti Report.  You'll see that under Statistics, that it gives you the number of cars painted a particular color, but only for a particular body style (torino, gran torino, wagon, etc) so you'll at least know how many were painted that color for that year in your body style.  Paul~

72 Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2011 at 11:38AM
Picon 3, ThanksSmile
Looking forward to get the e-mail  from marti on Monday.
It will be exciting to see what it says.
I only know that the car original come with a 400v8 and a C6 trans
and was medium blue metallic.
Like this forum very much, very much to learn about these cars here.
Thanks again.
72 Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2011 at 8:07AM
Here is my Marti report (deluxe)Smile

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2011 at 1:24PM
IF everyone who ordered a Marti Report posted it in a link we could probably figure ALOT of numbers!

This one says to me... HOLY SHEET! There were AT LEAST 39,299 72 Sports/Sportsroof cars made because that is how many of them came with A/C!

The other number that stands out is 5,877 came with the 400/2BBl/C-6. That is a hell of a small number! Anyone know how many came with the Q-Code? 429/460? and then what other motor came in the Sport/Sports Roof?

To see the original question answered clearly is a good thing! Now you know only 3202 sport/Sportsroof were that blue.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2011 at 2:15PM
That is how we made our basis for production #'s on the MGT Registry. Works great.
+ we got a little extra info that was paid for.
Still working on the VIN's for the 29 Cyclones. We can only account for 3 of them so far.
That looks like a nicely option GTS there.Thumbs Up
Ian Glyn-Jones
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2011 at 1:04PM
Originally posted by Regul8r Regul8r wrote:

IF everyone who ordered a Marti Report posted it in a link we could probably figure ALOT of numbers!

This one says to me... HOLY SHEET! There were AT LEAST 39,299 72 Sports/Sportsroof cars made because that is how many of them came with A/C!

The other number that stands out is 5,877 came with the 400/2BBl/C-6. That is a hell of a small number! Anyone know how many came with the Q-Code? 429/460? and then what other motor came in the Sport/Sports Roof?

To see the original question answered clearly is a good thing! Now you know only 3202 sport/Sportsroof were that blue.
I saw a Marti report somewhere that listed 12,844 351-4V for 1972 out of 60,798 sportsroofs built with 2,091 4 speeds.  Paul~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2011 at 10:11AM
Ian, what Cyclones are you hunting for? The guy I bought the Torino parts from last week has one and the guy that has my parts Cougar has one as well.

Specific drivetrain combo?
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2011 at 10:13AM
For the price, I should have Marti reports pulled on all 3 of mine. Might find something interesting...
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2011 at 11:45AM
1972 model year only. The 29 were based on the Montego GT body and there was  only 1 made on the 2 door MX shell acording to the records. They will also be fairly early production date cars and either have the 351CJ/Auto or 429/auto and will have the factory Ram Air and decal package. None had the 4 speed. There are a couple of other minor details that  I will not say.
They MUST be confirmed by a detailed Marti report or give me the VIN and I will have it confirmed with Marti. We have access to the VIN's to cross-check.
If they actually do have one I would really really REALLY like to have a chat with them to get info & any pictures. Please make sure to tell them that their personal information nor VIN will ever be made public. The only we would say is that we have found another and only post a picture IF they give their permission first. 
To date we only know of 3 but there must be at least 1 or more still in hiding somewhere. 
Please let me know as this is extreemly important.
Thanks

Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Ian, what Cyclones are you hunting for? The guy I bought the Torino parts from last week has one and the guy that has my parts Cougar has one as well.

Ian Glyn-Jones
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2011 at 11:45AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

He is talking about the 72 model year. I know there where VERY few (less than 100). I saw one unrestored barn find at one of the fairlane natonals. guy drove it to the show 429/C6 Ram air car (very rare) Full sport interior (black) with all the correct Cyclone badging. Very cool looking ride.   
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2011 at 11:47AM
Which one was that Dan?
The 3 we know of are all 429/auto
1 Red
1 Gold
1 Light Blue
Ian Glyn-Jones
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2011 at 12:06PM
I should have added that if the do have one, they can contact me at the following;

or
or by phone
905-650-5889
Ian Glyn-Jones
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2011 at 1:54PM
It was the red. The guy was going to do a full frame off on this car. I think it had roughly 50,000 miles on it.
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2011 at 2:30AM
OK I know the guy. He's had it for a few years now but never gets around to starting on the resto.
He has 2 other MGT's and some other Mopar stuff.
Ian Glyn-Jones
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2011 at 10:42AM
Not sure which engines the 2 that I know of have, but the first one belongs to the guy I bought all the Torino parts from. He is converting his to a Spoiler clone and is a very nice guy. His number is in the Craigslist section under Torino Parts that I placed there to help him and members out if they need something. Car still has the original paint on it (Orangish Red).

The 2nd guy I will be calling over the Holidays to bring my '75 Cougar on over to my house, and I will get his info when I talk to him. If I remember correctly, his is Blue or Green.

These are both good guys, not looking to fool anyone. They just want their cars built to their own personal tastes.

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
TorinoTime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorinoTime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2018 at 2:45PM
The photo of your Marti report is gone but I see it was mentioned it said there 3202 Sportsroof in medium blue. Just confirming you mean color code 3D?
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2018 at 10:30AM
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply