The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

429 exhaust manifolds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 429 exhaust manifolds
    Posted: 19-August-2012 at 2:33PM
Originally posted by 73Torino 73Torino wrote:

Thanks for the help! would someone happen to have a set of exhaust manifolds off of a car they put headers on for reference/pictures? I might be interested in buying some from a 72+ intermediate so I can fix this issue without spending lots of money on headers.

Dude, I will GIVE you my stock ones from my 460 as soon as I get my headers. Don't know when that'll be but I'll holler at you when I do.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2012 at 7:53AM
I agree with GTS. I too am going with headers (do some research first because not all will fit as advertised). From what I learned here is that 429 stock manifolds are pretty decent so if you want to save money stick with them. I know they are close to the steering box because mine are as well, and I have all stock configuration. Guess I'll have to live with it for now till I get my headers from fordpowertrain.com, I think this is the site. Check out my other thread as well to be sure; '460 headers'. If this isn't right, I know it's here somewhere, hehe. 
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2012 at 12:00PM
The ones I am using are found on the midsize cars and t-birds (lincolin marks) from 75/76/77 with 460s that had cats. The 72-74 used that nasty dounut gasket and that thing would break down and leak in a short time (plus the gasket is a bit of a pain to find). I have driven this car to tenn from Chicago, IL and have been driving this car most of last summer and not one issue with leaks or the power steering fuild getting too hot. You car is running a saganaw box mine is running the Ford but it should not make a difference.  
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2012 at 11:52AM
The 79 is running a set of 75-76 exshaust manifolds from a T-bird (76). I like these because of the flange at the end does NOT require the fibre dounut bettween the manifold end and the pipe. That means NO LEAKS!

Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2011 at 5:03PM
I would like to add, to broaden your search, that '73-76 Thunderbird will work also D3vy 9430-B (R) & D4VY 9431-A (L),so it would be safe to say '73- '76 Linc. MARK IV.
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
73Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2011 at 4:06PM
Thanks for the help! would someone happen to have a set of exhaust manifolds off of a car they put headers on for reference/pictures? I might be interested in buying some from a 72+ intermediate so I can fix this issue without spending lots of money on headers.
1973 base model Torino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2011 at 3:59PM
1973 Torino 429,460 P/C (R)# D3OZ 9430-B  before 3/15/73 , (L)# D2OZ 9431-A.   1973 Torino from 3/15/73 # D3OZ 9430-D  (R) , (L)# D2OZ 9431A. Hope this helps,  Info is from the MASTERS PARTS & ACC. CATALOG change #2 (revised pages for Dec.,1978).  My masters parts CD won't load all the 2700+ pages all the way, keeps freezing up just past the index, so I went old school, WITH THE PAPER CAT. I know this is for the police manifolds, but that's all I got right now.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2011 at 3:18PM
if the manifold from the 69 GMQ is dumping onto the steering box,
i doubt it's the same manifold used in a 72+ intermediate? 

but yes, even the right manifold will be 'close' to anything & everything... but it will be obvious that it will work whereas that 69 log ain't looking good

for Ford it's not uncommon at all to change the dump position between year/body changes much less a completely different chassis line... for the same engine

member Dan the Ranchero Man may be able to help with casting numbers for the correct manifolds
72 GT Ute

stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2011 at 2:09PM

you could cross reference manifold #s. I used 77 mark manifolds before and do not recall any issues. I think I would have notice that.

michigan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 12:52PM
I found some pics, sorry they aren't detailed of the steering box area, but using the valve cover/master cyl. as a reference you can see that my 429 looks a little higher.(maybe it's me) My thunderjet was swapped before I bought the car so, I don't have any personal knowledge of what specifics they used. All I know it was done b4 1985.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 12:15PM
Run the OEM power steering cooler. Also the big block PS hoses run differently than the small block hoses. 

Edited by Psquare75 - 22-December-2011 at 12:17PM
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 12:14PM
Headers come close to steering boxes all the time,andthey dont get it too hot,you can always add a bigger power steering cooler to help the fluid stay cooler just make sure you add it on the return side and not the pressure side but most know that as the line has pressure fitting
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 11:44AM
Another thing you can do is grind a little off the corner of the manifold,it's pretty thick there and still beefy enough to take about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch as it looks like it's just comong close tp the bolt head on the steering box.Jack the.motor up enough to get a grinder in there and shave some off then let it down and check the clearence.
If yoy need more grind a little more but just check it so as to make it too thin where the stud will want to weaken the corner and crack but it can be ground down some and still be plenty strong
73Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 11:31AM
I am aware of that, but wont the power steering fluid get to hot? There doesn't appear to be enough room to make a heat-shield.
1973 base model Torino
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 11:22AM
Motor torques to the right so no worries if it clears now your ok
73Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 10:50AM
The mounts are the correct three piece Torino 429 mounts that I purchased from Paul (Psquare75) and the engine sat in fine and lined up correctly with the already existing holes in the frame so I don't believe it is the engine mounts. If its not the steering box then I would think it almost has to be the exhaust manifolds. Maybe there isn't supposed to be much clearance in-between them as its about 1/8 of an inch, but it just doesn't seem like it is supposed to be that close.
1973 base model Torino
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 10:41AM
Guess I should cut loose the mounts in my car and bolt up the 75 Mark IV mounts and see how the engine fits with it mounted correctly.If I get them in I will take some pics and let you know how they fit.I.was gonna wait till I pulled the engine but now seeing there might be a tigjt clearence issue i'm thinking I should do it now
as I can always swap it back.and take weld it again if the correct mounts let it drop down and rub the box,I can reuse the ones on there till I get headers.
Car is not going on the road or be driven,just needs to move under it's own power

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 22-December-2011 at 10:52AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 8:59AM
Originally posted by 73Torino 73Torino wrote:

I have recently been working on a 429 swap into my Torino and the exhaust manifold on the drivers side seems to be very close to the steering box. The engine is out of a 69 grand marquis, I am just wondering if big block cars had different steering boxes or is it just the exhaust manifold? Im assuming it is most likely the manifold, which I would then probably need to get different ones. Would manifolds off of a 72-76  429/460 Torino work on this engine and are they the same size exhaust ports?

Here is a picture of the engine before putting it in

Here is a picture of it going in the car

In the car

And here is the problem

Any help is greatly appreciated, I would like to stick with factory manifolds instead of headers as they are much cheaper.
    The steering boxes would be the same, as far as the exhaust manifolds they should be the same  also. The eng.  looks to be sitting  low. I have a 429 4v thunderjet that was swapped in my Ranchero, & it seems to sit a little higher. Unfortunetly the car isn't near me right now or I would take some pics.  I suspect your mounts are the issue here. Did you use the existing mounts from the Grand marq. (full size car)? or did you get intermedite(Torino,montego,Thunderbird,MrkIV)?
73Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 8:06AM
We are planing on painting it once we pull the engine back out. Right now we are just making sure everything fits right and works correctly so we wont scratch a fresh coat of paint while trying to mock everything up first. It makes reassembly after paint much easier because you know it will work with your set up.
1973 base model Torino
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 5:59PM
Why didn't you unbolt the accessories and clean up the engine and give it a fresh coat of paint?
It would have made it look alot better by painting the engine and brackets and then bolt everything back on after you clean and detail it.
Ilan on pulling my engine just to clean and paint it and then I can clean and paint the engine compartment while it's out.I won't be rebuilding it right aeay bit want it to look good.with fresh paint till I do rebuild the motor
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 5:44PM
Well right now my manifolds clear but it also is not bolted down with factory mounts.Who ever swapped in the 429 Thunderjet,they didn't switch to the correct mounts and welded the back ears of the mount that are suppose to stradle the crossmember and have the bolt go throough it.So i'm thinking when I swap to the correct mounts the engine will end up sitting a little lower and my clearence will get worse so might end up with the same issue you have.
My solution ofcoarse will be to install headers.I know they are more expensive but I plan on a performance build to increase the hp and gonna run headers with 3in exhaust
73Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 4:53PM
I have recently been working on a 429 swap into my Torino and the exhaust manifold on the drivers side seems to be very close to the steering box. The engine is out of a 69 grand marquis, I am just wondering if big block cars had different steering boxes or is it just the exhaust manifold? Im assuming it is most likely the manifold, which I would then probably need to get different ones. Would manifolds off of a 72-76  429/460 Torino work on this engine and are they the same size exhaust ports?

Here is a picture of the engine before putting it in

Here is a picture of it going in the car

In the car

And here is the problem

Any help is greatly appreciated, I would like to stick with factory manifolds instead of headers as they are much cheaper.

Edited by 73Torino - 21-December-2011 at 4:53PM
1973 base model Torino
 Post Reply Post Reply