Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An Exhausting question.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An Exhausting question.
    Posted: 07-June-2006 at 6:29AM

I need some pics of your exhaust.. mainly the whole thing, but whatever pics you guys have. Looking for routing ideas.

Anyone running an X pipe?

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2006 at 7:02AM
Hey, Paul.... Gimme a day or so to get some pics re-sized and up.... however....

Full 3" w/ X-pipe and Hooker Aerochambers, over the axle and out behind the rear tires. FPA headers w/ ball & socket collecters, a Jeg's universal X-pipe kit, 4 or 5 180* U-bends (sliced and diced for rolling offsets) and a pair of FlowMaster universal tailpipe kits. There was some left overs, but what I did use was vital for getting it all together, out of the way and over the axle. Also used several sets of 3-bolt flanges at the mufflers so the system can be unbolted and removed in sections for tranny removal, muffler replacement (or whatever) without cutting anything.

It's a tight fit, but it DOES fit!

Now, is it overkill? Probably. But it's what I wanted. Took two of us a pair of 12+ hour Saturdays to fit and fab.... and we're pipefitters!!

One last thing, if you use aluminized steel like we did, paint the finished welds with moly-based "Never-Sieze" when you're done. After you first start it, it'll smoke for a while, but the end result will be a protective moly barrier that's baked onto the exterior of the weld. Looks good and prevents external rust/tarnish of the joint. Just a thought.

Kevin

Edited by OleDutchD
Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world!
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2006 at 7:25AM

When I tried a 2.5" X pipe on my car,with the hedman kit, I couldn't get (what I felt) was decent ground clearance.. in fact it was the lowest point on the car. That was with Flowmaster 70s.

Also.. My BIG concern is my rear sway bar. I'm running the front-flipped-to-the-rear sway bar like described in the MRE book. When I had 2"(!!) on my Elite, I'd get a nice "TINK!!" "TANG!!" whenever I hit a bump just right.. as the sway bar hangs off the rear axle to the rear about 2".. so I need to try and navigate that and the gas tank.

I might even go with offset in/offset out.. I PM'ed JimW as I know he has an X pipe, but I think he's ignoring me.

Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2006 at 10:26AM

Ignoring you eh? 

Kevin and I are on the same page, my exhaust is all in sections for ease of removal.  I have plenty of clearance around the bottom of the axle (as long as the bar doesnt ride on top of the axle, you'll be ok)

I'll try to get some shots this weekend

Jim

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Nevsryd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevsryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2006 at 10:38AM
I have 3" exhaust with an X pipe as well. With long hooker headers and flow masters.  I will try to find the time to take a couple photos as well.  I'm not a pipe fitter so I used a guy in Eastern Pa.  His name is Alex Baynard, cost was $600 plus the flowmasters. Too bad you didn't make it to the Nationals in Carlisle, there were a couple of us there.   
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2006 at 10:59AM

That is the rear sway bar setup (from my Elite). even THOSE pipes hit (although they were factory bends, and the most I could do really was tweak them a bit).

Paul
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2006 at 2:33AM

Is that the front bar flipped?

Mine doesn't have the same bends as the factory so it might be better.  I see the areas of concern and can get a better photo idea..  I think there is enough room if you work the transition from down to back correctly..

Jim 

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2006 at 5:47AM
Here ya go, Paul. The car used to have a set of Hedman shorties and a 2 1/2" "muffler shop" H-pipe exhaust system with a pair of 2 1/2" Flowmaster 50's. Doesn't sound like much, but the switch to mandrel-bent 3" and the Hooker Aerochamber's was substantial! It tucks up nicely (the FPA headers were a HUGE help with that) and is fairly invisible. It CAN be done,... just takes a little time and patience.

Best of luck, brother.

Kevin

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2006 at 6:48AM
Originally posted by JimW JimW wrote:

Is that the front bar flipped?

Mine doesn't have the same bends as the factory so it might be better.  I see the areas of concern and can get a better photo idea..  I think there is enough room if you work the transition from down to back correctly..

Jim 

Yes.. that is the front flipped. I'm running a 15/16" rear bar on the Cougar (well, will be.. it's what was in my Elite).. 15/16" is an odd size, but that is the base model Elite front bar. (versus 7/8").

Also, my pipes weren't THAT off.. I had one 'off/unclamped' so I could adjust it. That was as good as I could get it (note passenger side vs drivers side).

I've got a sort of part list going.

3" X pipe kit. I might go with the Summit piece, even though it looks a little more 'flimsy'.
2.5" offset in center out Borla XS
2.5" U fit flowmaster kit. I've got a buyer for the left over parts already.

Why Borla? a few reasons.
#1. Cheap
#2. Jim W runs them, and it seems like mechanically I mimic him.
#3. This chart also convinced me a bit. Note both the dB, AND the lower RPM reads compared to other mufflers.

Paul
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2006 at 10:42AM

Well, I actually run the 12" center in / center out XR1's with all 3" pipe, so you won't be quite the twin..  (nor will your car make all your neighbors come out and wonder if the street is being carpet bombed, so you're in luck there).  I chose them because they did very well in a shootout on a big block Pontiac wagon, and my brother and I have had very good luck with them.. 

:-)

You may be able to get the tail pipes done cheaper by going to NAPA or a similar store and getting mandrel 180 and 90 degree bends.  I got mine out of a med/hvy duty truck parts catalogue..  I used 4 90 deg bends and 2 180's..  A friend at a shop welded it up and got it out under the bumper..

Jim

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2006 at 6:33AM

Done.

Jegs 3" X pipe

flowmaster reducers 3" to 2.5"

3" header collector/reducer, already welded

2.5" U fit Kit

Jim, I had thought of that, but I'm afraid to run into the "I don't have enough material"  syndrome.  I'm going to have to pick up two 90 degree bends for offsetting the X pipe however. That, and I have the 2.5 pieces I wont be needed, sold (well, some of them). The others all have flowmaster part #s, so I can sell what I don't need on the forums, or eBay. I'll have an H pipe setup all set to go.

So with the long tube Hooker headers.. how far away should the X pipe be? I'm afraid if it's too far back, the driveshaft will hit it.

Also, Kevin, can you take some pics of your muffler? Did you just weld the 3 bolt flanges right to the muffler? I'm thinking of putting a flange on the muffler, *Putting the pipe INTO the muffler* as if I were clamping it, then welding a flange to it, in that position.. thus making a removable slip fit connection, as opposed to a butt-connected style.

Edited by Psquare75
Paul
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2006 at 6:05AM
Paul,

As far as the mufflers, I think you can just make out the flanges on the third pic I posted (weren't yet "fit" in the first two pics, when I took those shots). I used two pairs of 3" ID and two pairs of 3" OD, 3-bolt collector flanges. Welded the exhaust pipes into the flanges before and after the mufflers, and slipped the other flanges into the muffler tubes. ALL of them were trimmed in length with a chop saw in order to get it all fit into the space allowed. In fact, we even trimmed the muffler tubes. My mufflers measure 18" flange to flange! We tried to maintain 1" clearance between the tubes and the floorpan, and I think it was 1 1/2" clearance between the mufflers and floor. When we were done, the system (at its' lowest point) only hangs 1" to 1 1/4" below the bottom of the rockers.
Also, as far as the X-pipe location, mine is just ahead of the tranny yoke,... and you mentioned the "flimsiness" of a Summit/Jegs-type "X"-pipe. I agreed with you, and we welded a plate onto the bottom side to distribute the stress on the splice between the tubes.

Best of luck, big guy!

Kevin

steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2006 at 3:21PM
  hey paul thanks for the web sites you gave me. I just looked thru them tonite. I have trouble finding a password to join chat or anything.I am still interested in the tranny x member. I am also interested in some rear disc parts. there seems to be alot of tinkering with fitting pipes under a torino.I will battle that in the future. I got yelled at by my 4 year old son for breaking his ford musclecar!!  Ive got all the front end body parts off in 6 hours and only had to torch 5 body bolts out.Now I can rebuild the front suspension with ease.
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2006 at 3:07AM

My X is as close to the x member as I could get it, the pipes that came with the Dr gas piece were long enough to get to the headers no problem, I ended up running the car at a local street race/exhibition this weekend (legal, publicized event).  They had a 330' track set up and I was 4 for 4 against the bowtie brigade.  (my best was 5.0@74mph..  A bit slower than my 4.8sec times at a real track, but good enough to do the deed)

:-)

(I will get you pics to help with your project as well)

Jim

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2006 at 5:18AM

Excellent job, hehe. When I had my X pipe previously mocked up, It was a bout 1 ft past the driveshaft yoke. I'd like to avoid that this time around.

Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply