The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

73 Gran Torino Sport - Grill Emblem Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 Gran Torino Sport - Grill Emblem Question
    Posted: 05-February-2012 at 7:33PM
dang I wish I knew earlier before I left Florida as I had an extra backing plate from a 73 GTS grille emblem as it was pitted real bad and I used the center divider to make my kustom GTS steering wheel horn button. but it all got put into storage in Florida and now i'm in NJ..
From what I remember it had 3 tabs in the back that held the backing plate in place
 if you look at the photo of the back you can see the tab

the backing plate is actually a round disc that fit's in the center circle and holds the insert into the emblem body and it has two long studs with a black plastic flat crossbar piece that goes across the two studs and has two speed nuts to secure the cross bar.The emblem goes in the center of the grille and the studs go through the grille mesh and the crossbar goes on the back side and keeps the emblem from pulling through as the speed nuts are tightened down to secure the crossbar against the grille plastic and the grille gets sandwiched between the emblem body and the crossbar

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 05-February-2012 at 8:05PM
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2012 at 7:29PM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

I have a grille off a '73 GTS I had, sitting buried in one of the sheds.
Seems like you are missing the backing plate, I don't think it was glued, but now I am curious.
Piece looks nice though.
 If that is the grille from the White 73 GTS, i'm sorry but the emblem is mine and Andy needs to ship it to me as I paid for the whole car then we ended up parting it out but this is one of the items I wanted off the car

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 05-February-2012 at 7:38PM
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2012 at 10:48PM
Yeah, there is a black plastic backing plate, and it should have (3) screws.  Kind of looks like a miniature table with 3 legs if you  invert it.  They look like they would break pretty easily. I hope this helps.  Now, go get the rest of the car to restore around it! LOL
~Chris
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
Tim1859 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim1859 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2012 at 2:37PM
I swapped grilles on my '73, causing me to transfer the emblem. I recall two screws holding it in place. I don't have the car to check anymore.
Former owner of '73 GTS and current wannabe
HandyRacing View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HandyRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2012 at 7:29AM
Thanks. The fellow looking at my emblem may like to talk to you about your backing plate. If you're interested I can let them know.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2012 at 6:23AM
I have a grille off a '73 GTS I had, sitting buried in one of the sheds.
Seems like you are missing the backing plate, I don't think it was glued, but now I am curious.
Piece looks nice though.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HandyRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2012 at 12:36PM
I was going to post this question here:

But the topic is closed...

Thanks.
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HandyRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2012 at 12:33PM
Hello All,

We're hoping you can help us clear up a mystery.

I have the emblem shown below in the photos which I removed from my car about 30 years ago when I wrecked it.  Damn tree, but it was a Michigan rust bucket anyway...  Back to the question.  I believe it came from a 73 Gran Torino Sport (it had the fastback roof line).  The troubling part is there is no apparent sign of any mounting posts being broken off, so we can't figure out how its supposed to mount on the grill.

Can anyone help us out?  Thanks...

From the front:

From the rear:

Edited by HandyRacing - 11-January-2012 at 1:06PM
 Post Reply Post Reply