The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horsepower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starsky74Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horsepower
    Posted: 03-February-2012 at 3:58AM
Hi, I have a 74 Gran Torino Sport with the 351 W, its just stock 2bbl.. the only mods Ive made is replace the air filter with the K&N replacement and dual 40 series flowmasters.
I would like a little more power, nothing massive just a little better pick up getting up to speed on the highway..
I was thinking of going to 4bbl but have been told that I need a 4bbl heads ? others have told me its just the cleveland that needs the heads changed ?
my question is if I put intake and 4bbl will I gain horsepower without losing lots of MPG as its pretty good on gas and is my daily driver.. I can live without extra HP but dont want to compromise economy too much.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Justin
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2012 at 4:57AM
well when it comes to HP unless it is a fuel injected  motor which even they can loss some slight MPG

adding a 4 bbl will up your cfm's on the carb and yes it will use more fuel cause it is squirting ore fuel into the intake as the jets can be  a little bigger.If you keep your foot out of it and not open the secondaries it is basically a 2 bbl as only two jets are squirting fuel but when you accelerate harder then the secondaries can open which squirts in twice as much fuel.
The lose of mpg can be minimal but just depends on the car and size carb you choose.
I recommend a dual plane intake as you won't want a single plane.

Clevelands don't need the heads changed either they make a 4bbl intake for the 2V Cleveland heads you just have to buy the correct intake for the 2v Cleveland vs the 4v Cleveland which has bigger ports.

with just the intake and 4 bbl carb your only going to gain so much hp but  add a mild cam  and it can increase the hp and still keep fairly good mpg

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 03-February-2012 at 5:00AM
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2012 at 5:12AM
To be honest, there are other things I'd consider before doing a 4bbl setup that would both free up power and increase economy.

Headers
Electric fan - I bet your car has the fixed blade OEM flex style fan?
rear gears.. What is in it now? 2.75:1?

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Starsky74Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starsky74Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2012 at 5:36AM
What kind of headers ? where would I get them and how much money are they ?
yes its stock with the regular clutch fan. she doesnt have A?C so theres no drag there.
im not sure what the ratio is but im reading one of my build sheets and it says under REAR AXLE TAG NUMBER: 844B and under AXLE RATIO: 2
heres a photo.
thanks
Justin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2012 at 6:29AM
find & clean off the tag on one of the rear end center section studs, the ratio is stamped into a metal tag there. an 'L' in between the numbers like 3L25 means it has a Trac-Loc limited slip

the same 351W intake is used for all Windsor style heads whether they started out as 2bbl or 4bbl

the single biggest factor in vehicle acceleration is the rear end gear
the single biggest factor in how an engine runs is the cam

i had a blast with just a mild cam and a stock 2bbl carb, you'd be surprised Shocked
and when you replace the miled-out stock dog cam you get to change out the whipped timing chain too

Edited by Rockatansky - 03-February-2012 at 6:39AM
72 GT Ute

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2012 at 6:57AM
the right mild aftermarket cam can also work with a not-so-hot stock rear gear better than the stock cam ever did too. you can gain hp/torque, fuel economy and driveability with a decent cam

and keep the stock 2-tab carb
72 GT Ute

73-Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73-Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2012 at 5:06PM
Recurving the distributor can give better throttle response, for the cost of a spring kit. Use lighter springs to get more spark advance happening sooner. The result is more torque , when matched to your engine. I added 1.7 ratio roller rockers to my 351W to add more valve lift without changing the cam. Easy to change , and the roller rockers have less friction.
1973 Mustang Mach1
1976 Cobra II
1966 F-250
1973 Torino GTS
 Post Reply Post Reply