The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1zebra3's originally owned S&H

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1zebra3's originally owned S&H
    Posted: 08-February-2012 at 1:03AM
here are Photo's of  1zebra3 aka Matt's Originally owned 1976 Gran Torino S&H that was painted by the Ford Dealer he ordered it from as they not heard of the Limited Edition Ford produced cars
and Matt wanted a Replica of the famed TV car.

Photo's of Car New in Matt's driveway 1976
Matt's S&H Story
Matt has wanted to have his car featured here since he attended a Starsky Torino reunion in Evansville, Indiana in 2004. Here it is in honor of a very special occasion (read the bottom of the page to find out what that is). 

In early 1976, Matt was looking to buy a new car because he would be getting married in September and starting a family. Salesmen were trying to sell him something off the lot that he didn't like. After going back and forth between several dealerships and not being able to get a good enough trade-in for his 1970 Mach 1 Mustang, he decided to keep the Mach 1 and just order what he wanted. He liked watching the "Starsky & Hutch" TV show and thought it would be cool to have a car like Starsky's. 

At that time, he had no idea about the Limited Production "Starsky & Hutch" Gran Torinos, and he doesn't think Ford had started producing them yet because none of the salesmen knew about them, either. He finally found someone willing to help him and he ordered a 1976 Torino in special order 2B Red with all the options he wanted. The dealer would have the white stripe painted on the car. 

After waiting over a month and making a few calls to the dealership, he finally got the call to come and pick it up. When he and his wife pulled up to the dealership, they could see it sitting on the showroom floor though the big glass windows and they got very excited. Upon getting inside and taking a closer, however, they discovered it was dark red instead of 2B Bright Red. So after a heated battle of words between Matt and the salesman, the sales manager, and eventually getting the dealership owner involved, Matt agreed to order another one. 

The second car arrived in about 2 weeks. When he picked it up, he noticed the dark red car was gone (we sure would like to know where that car is now) and that a different salesman would be helping him with the final paperwork because the original salesman no longer worked for them. 

The first two photos, above,show the car sitting in Matt's driveway when he brought it home from the dealer in March of 1976.

hese two photos were taken when Matt and his wife drove around Colorado in the Torino on their honeymoon in September of 1976.

See Larger Photos

Unfortunately, almost a year (to the day) after Matt purchased the Torino, a drunk driver ran a red light and totaled it out. The insurance company paid off his loan and Matt bought the car back from them for $500. The car had less then 9,000 miles on it.

In the early 1980s, Matt bought a parts car and started to repair his Torino, but other responsibilities and lack of money got in the way of his completing the project.

See Larger Photos

See Larger Photos

See Larger Photos

See Larger Photos

See Larger Photos

See Larger Photos

Believe it or not, the Torino has been stored in Matt's garage for 35 years, and now he would like to finish restoring it but is not sure if he will be able to because of physical disabilities.

BUT! The happy ending of this part of Matt's story is that he and his wife are still married and they celebrating their 35th Anniversary  (September, 2011) by going back and driving around the same places in Colorado that they visited on their honeymoon!

JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2012 at 5:14AM
I don't think the dark red deal wasn't that unusual.  My dealer painted replica was dark (2R) red and white when I bought it (original owner was a neighbor who got it for their 16 year old son)..  I would say it was possibly the same car, but the DSO didn't have mine ever going West.. 

That was a massive hit the car took, I'm glad you are around to tell the story after that.  Congrats on the 35, and best of luck getting it back on the road!

Jim 

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2012 at 2:32PM
   Jim I don't think the (2R) dark red was that uncommon either since it wasa regular production color available in 76. Do you know if your neighbor bought it from the dealer with the white stripe already painted on or did he buy it and then have the dealer or body shop paint on the stripe.Did they buy it early 76 before Ford started to produce their 76LE S&H cars like I did.Is this the S&H you have now. I know this is alot of questions and a long time ago.Maybe you still have contact with them. 

Wow I wish my parents could have bought me a new car when I was 16. Thats ok some can and some can't.                                                                                                       

Actually my wife was driving the car when it was hit.She busted a tooth and split her lip on the leatherwrap steering wheel. She had to have 3 stitches in her inner lip. ( Her teeth marks are still in there and it is bent & I dont know if it can be straightened ) Her friend hurt her knee on the dash.

Thanks again Jim
1zebra3                      76 S&H Torino
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2012 at 12:48PM
WOW... That was a hard hit!!!!! Glad your wife survived. How did the drunk driver make out? At least you had the leather wheel and not the hard plastic one in there...

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2012 at 10:14AM
Psquare75, I'm also glad she wasn't seriously hurt ( I love this Gal ). I think the leather wrap wheel did help her from getting hurt bad. The drunk was ok, just some cuts and bruises.
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2012 at 5:29AM
The car was ordered from the dealer as an S&H, they picked it up with the stripe already on..  The build sheet (which has somehow gone missing in the last 23 years I've owned the car) said "5440 special Order Red" on it which exlpained the lack of color infor on the door tage and the silver bumper fillers. 

Lots of options too, PW, PDL, Cruise, locking group (hood, spare tire, etc), auto brake release, 2.75 traction lock, (351M/FMX), just no A/C...

Not sure of the build date, but know the original gas tank was stamped 04/24/1976 so I assume it was a later build car.  (haven't got the Marti yet)

Jim
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2012 at 4:03PM
I wonder why they didn't order A/C if your getting all the other bells & whistles. Mybe if it was a 460. To each his own.
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
Starsky74Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starsky74Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2012 at 10:56AM
Dude, im so happy for you that you and your wife had that car together and what it must have meant for you both.. And so sorry for you what happened..
I was 6 years old when the show hit the TV in England (where i was raised)(am from Wales orig.).. and I fell in love with the car and spent my time imagining being able to move to the US and buying a car like that and having the stripe painted on it... a massive pipe dream,never ever thought such a miracle wish could come true... but it evantually came true for me..
God bless the US and I hope you get your car fixed soon and re live the wonderfull memories you have in the vault.... Starsky & Hutch forever...Wink
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2012 at 10:49AM
Welcome to the U.S. a little late and to the forum. It looks like you joined about 1 month after I did. Just looked at your car on the S&H site. Looks like you found a solid car. My wife and I are both disabled so money is very tight for us but I've had this car since new and trying to rebuild for a very very long time so its not going anywhere. Planing on being in Little Rock at the end of April maybe we could meet 1/2 way between and talk and have an ice tea or something. 
                                                        Matt 

Edited by 1zebra3 - 18-March-2012 at 10:50AM
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
Starsky74Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starsky74Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2012 at 11:38AM
Matt, would love to meet up with you in little Rock, my email is starsky74torino@yahoo.com just give me some notice and we will drive out there to meet you.
hows your car doing ?
love to see pics of the resto..
all the best
Justin
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2012 at 12:25PM
I know I haven't posted any pics yet. There is a lot of summer stuff and junk sitting infront of it rght now. As soon as I can get the garage cleared out I will roll it out and take some pictures. I do have everthing to put it back together just need to clean,paint,etc.

Will email you later with exact dates I'll be in L.R.
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2012 at 8:11AM
[QUOTE=Starsky74Torino] Matt, would love to meet up with you in little Rock, my email is starsky74torino@yahoo.com just give me some notice and we will drive out there to meet you.
hows your car doing ?
love to see pics of the resto..
all the best
Justin[QUOTE]

JUSTIN I will be  IN L.R. Thursday night 4/26 till Monday morning 4/30. I will send you an E-mail & P.M.
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2012 at 4:53PM
   Sorry Justin and I were unable to meet this time.Maybe in Oct if I can get back that way.
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2012 at 4:20PM
Brian and Amy (Zebra 3) came up to Omaha from Topeka to pick up the fender I sold him. I called Andy (Eliteman 76) who lives close to me and we all talked about our cars for a couple of hrs. See pictures on Zebra3s Sprite of 76 Project thread,
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2013 at 6:38PM
Any new updates? I believe 2B red was only available on the limited cars. 2B red was available in 1975, but not in 1976 for regular torino's. At least that's what I remember reading.
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2013 at 10:29AM
No real updates. I have been talking to Andy and he knows someone that will blast the frame and powder   coat it for me. That's what I have to do first and then I have everything + extras to put it back together. Every time I get a few hundred saved for the car life gets in the way.If there is any progress on the car I'll post it here and start a project thread. 
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2013 at 10:40AM
Sorry I didn't answer about the  the 2B red. The first car that I ordered from the dealer was special ordered 2B red but came in the dark red  so they reordered another car and got the color correct the  second time.  
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply