The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: Core/Radiator Support Bushing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: INFO: Core/Radiator Support Bushing
    Posted: 18-February-2012 at 10:01AM
For some reason this was not put as I sticky post so I combined the 2 threads into 1 and made it a sticky and re-opened it for discussion and updates as you all see fit!
Admin-Regul8r(Carl) March 23rd, 2015

Here is the original post and threads combined...
OK guys, stupid question of the day, 
How do you seperate the upper and lower core support insulator bushings? I pulled my core support today and everything came apart pretty well until I got ready to remove the upper core support insulator bushing from the frame horn. I thought it would just pull off but SURPRISE!

I think I know the answer; the upper bushing "washer" is threaded and acts as the nut keeping the two bushings aligned and tight. Correct? If so, how can I get a really good grip on the bushing washer to keep it from turning as you remove the bolt from below? I'm doing a one man restoration so I need to figure out a way of doing it solo... if possible! Here are what my two core support bushings look like....

As you can see I have them soaking with penetrating oil to help break them loose. All suggestions greatly appreciated!!

THANKS

Edited by Regul8r - 23-March-2015 at 2:31PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2012 at 10:50AM
I'm sure there's a way, but I never found it.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2012 at 10:53AM
Do you need to remove these to remove the core support itself?
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2012 at 11:00AM
No. See above picture. 
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2012 at 11:15AM
mine fell apart when i took my core support off. 
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2012 at 11:38AM
Paul,

So there is no need to remove them as long as they are in good shape? The are still really firm & pliable....

Thanks

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2012 at 12:23PM
Unless you suspect severe rust under them, personally, I wouldn't. It's not like we have figured out a suitable replacement yet.
Paul
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2012 at 12:33PM
Don't think rust is an issue on mine.... only found a spot the size of a business card behind the passenger front wheel opening (leaves built up on inside of fender and eat it out) on the entire car. here's one of the core support slots for reference.....

So, issue resolved and on to engine and transmission removal!!
Thanks Paul...

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2012 at 1:44PM
If I were realllllllly concerned, I'd try to lift up the edges and get some _________ (Insert whatever you are coating the frame with) under it. 
Paul
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2012 at 3:43PM
POR15......
Since she will only see limited service once completed, I think it will be good as it is.
Heck she's gone this long with limited factory protection!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2012 at 3:51PM
The bushing has a nut on the bottom too with a lower bushing.

It actually has 3 bushings.
1 on top of the support
1 between the support and the frame
1 on the bottom of the frame

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2012 at 4:04PM
I have removed them off of my rancheros when I did my frame off. I used a large set of vise grips  grabbed the metal washer looking piece part of the bushing on the first car and I was able to remove it with little damage. The second car was a bit more work. I drilled two holes in the metal washer part and each side of the stud (12 and 6 o clock positions)and taped the hole for a # 10 thread. Then I screwed in some hardened screws and used the visegrips again to remove. I was glad I did too because the frame looked rust free but the rubber trapped water and the holes where enlarged from the rust.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2012 at 4:22PM
Carl,

There are only 2 rubber bushings on the core support of my car. Here is the disassembly progress....

Assembled height 1 1/4"....

On top of core support: thick washer and nut (note shim between support and upper bushing)....

Nut and washer removed....

Support removed, another thicker steel washer and shim....

shim....

hardware used.....

soaking upper bushing....

These parts are typical of both sides except driver side does not have the shim. My front has not be touched, so this was how she left the Chicago factory. Perhaps the earlier models had more rubber bushings??

Thanks for the tip Dan, will give it try....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2012 at 11:08PM
Maybe before you drill and tap use a spanner wrench to lay out the holes then drill and use the wrench. Just a thought. I need to do mine also.
73MONTEGO
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2012 at 4:29PM
*shrug*
Cutting torch, 4.5" electric grinder.
New grade 8 bolt, new poly bushings.
This deal caused me some aggravation, hoping that my retrofit works long term w/o issue.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Srandaz2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srandaz2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2013 at 2:37AM
THIS is where the old thread ended and the new thread began... HENCE my reason for combining them...
Admin-Regul8r(Carl) March 23rd, 2015
Need Some Help Fellas, I been round and round on the Forum and seems like i am getting no where fast.  I need RAD Support Bushings for my 1976 Ford Torino - I see alot of Postings about Bushings but nothing I seen so far is giving me an absolute answer.

So - Input or point in the right direction would be appreciated, These Bushings are located in the Front under the radiator support.

Does anyone company sell these new? Is there a Cross Reference from Another Vehicle or Mfg.

Any help would be greatly appreciated Confused

Edited by Regul8r - 23-March-2015 at 2:55PM
Steve

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2013 at 6:08AM
as far as I know, you cannot buy them, nor the other body bushings. mine were pretty well trashed... the consensus is for the body bushings, you can use 2008 crown vic body bushings but they need to be adapted.... some have used other bushings for that application as well such as jeep bushings, etc.

when it comes to the rad core support bushings... not so much of a consensus there. during my restoration, I used the same 2008 crown vic body bushings under the core support. I used some spacers (huge washers) so that it would pull down tight and not have very much give to it. but it seems to have worked well. no complaints yet
---------------------
malcolm
Srandaz2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srandaz2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2013 at 7:56AM
Thanks Legend that Helps - so the 2008 VIC bushings will work just need bigger washers - correct
Steve

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2013 at 10:00AM
yep... they will "work" without the spacers but there is some jiggling on the front clip without them. the spacers, I found, would allow you to tighten it down tighter, which firmed it up quite a bit.

I put the spacers, which ended up being huge washers, on top of the bushing, then I cut out a piece of rubber to go over the washers that was about 1/8 inch thick or so...
---------------------
malcolm
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2013 at 11:19AM
I know Eliteman76 used some polyurethane Jeep bushings for his. Seemed to work also.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Srandaz2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srandaz2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2013 at 11:22AM
GT Sport what year bushings for the jeep
Steve
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2013 at 11:42AM
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9.4102#

That is the one. I ordered the kit but have not used it yet. There is some discussion here about them. I think Eliteman76 originally but bushings on both sides of everything, which ended up being too much. I believe there is no bushing on the bottom of the frame (where the bolt head is), and then a bushing on top of frame (between frame and rad support), and then on top of rad support no bushing.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2013 at 12:41PM
my 73 DID have a bushing in the frame, then between the frame and rad support, just like the other body bushings. there was no bushing on top of the rad core support... see pic below

now I am not questioning scott, he is the greatest, coolest, most-knowledgeable guy ive ever known... they may have changed things up throughout different years?

---------------------
malcolm
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2013 at 1:08PM
Well, see that is where the mystery begins Malcolm!

What I wrote above was what I interpreted to be the end agreement on the rad support bushing issue. I don't think we ever had a post of "this is how it is", people just sort of came to conclusions in about 3 different threads all about the same time.

It was agreed that 72 was different. We know that for many things already though.

I will look at mine tonight and repost what I find. Rad support is off, but I don't remember if I have any underneath frame.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2013 at 1:10PM
my 74 has a bushing up in the frame and a bushing between the top of the frame and the core support, no bushing on the top (of the core support) all of mine are totally wasted, i figured when i get the body off i would do some measuring and find out what i can come up with, and let everyone know.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2013 at 1:18PM
Ok, just went and checked on my 75 Sport.

Just as Malcolm and John have stated, there is a bushing on the bottom (below frame) and in between frame and core support. There is no bushing on top, just an extra thick washer and the locknut.

Here are some photos, and the new bushing is the energy suspension one for comparison.

Edited by GranTorinoSport - 25-November-2013 at 1:20PM
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2013 at 1:24PM
while we are on this subject... are all the rest of the body bushings the same as the core support ones? (height, outer dia. inside dia. frame hole dia.???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2013 at 4:33PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

while we are on this subject... are all the rest of the body bushings the same as the core support ones? (height, outer dia. inside dia. frame hole dia.???

the hole in the frame was the same on mine but the bushing between the frame and radiator support seemed to be thicker than the rest of the bushings... thusly the spacers/washers...

I measured mine before removing for reference, but the crown vic bushing were a smidge different which changed the whole dynamic. so I had to just tinker with it until I got the dimensions correct... i.e. count the rotations of the turn of the wrench for each bushing and the spacers in the radiator support bushings.. until I got the front clip lined up properly

---------------------
malcolm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2013 at 5:21PM
thanks malcolm, so you're saying that all of the frame holes are the same diameter? (you don't happen know that diamention, do you??) (just thinking ahead)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2013 at 4:04AM
i don't remember the dimension of the holes.... sorry.. I do remember that the 08 cv bushings fit perfectly in the torino's frame holes, including the holes up front for the radiator core support. so if there were any differences, they were negligible.    
---------------------
malcolm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>