The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Photo Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Official What I do for a Living Photo thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmizz181 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2013 at 9:15AM
I have been meaning to post on this site for a while now, better late than never.I started to some time ago and figure while I'm deployed I will catch up. This is what I do for a living. I'm a CH47D/F test pilot in the Army stationed at Ft. Riley KS. This pic was taken in 2009 on the way to Ft. Lewis to drop this aircraft off at the reset facility located there. That's Mt. Rainier (sp) in the back round.
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2013 at 9:29AM
Always wanted to pilot a helicopter. Screwed my life up when I was young and never qualified for the armed services, though I would do anything for this country. Envy everyone in the military. Managed to get educated on my own. Many hurtles but still pulled it off. I am currently a mechanical engineer running a 122K sqf commercial building in downtown L.A. Pretty much a glorified maintenance man, though I make ok money. Great perks include health and doing whatever the hell I want (as well as working on cars when I should be working). Above all happy.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2013 at 2:06PM
I'm amending my entry to this thread because I am a tow truck driver again. Specifically, this truck:

and yes, that is a 1971 Porsche 911T riding on a wheel lift wrecker with dollies...

I've actually been doing more roadside assistance type calls than anything else. Jump starts, tire changes, fuel deliveries, and a LOT of lockouts. People in Ohio seem to like to leave their keys on their front seat. I don't even UNLOCK the cars. I just snag the keys with a Big Easy and pull them through the opening in the door made by my little inflatable wedge. Why struggle to push a slippery Armor-All'd power door lock button or fight a lock knob or handle when I can just get the keys out and unlock it that way?
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2013 at 5:32PM

A Few thousand gambling machines around the state.
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2013 at 3:21PM
this is what i do, mostly i haul lumber, washington, oregon, a few times to idaho (gets interesting when having to deliver in downtown seattle)  95 kw w900b with a 3406e cat (575 horse) with a 18 speed trans. 92 western trailers 40' and 20'  AKA the road hammer
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2013 at 12:58AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

this is what i do, mostly i haul lumber, washington, oregon, a few times to idaho (gets interesting when having to deliver in downtown seattle)  95 kw w900b with a 3406e cat (575 horse) with a 18 speed trans. 92 western trailers 40' and 20'  AKA the road hammer

Gotta love the power and torque of a Cat 3406E, had one (475 hp) our '99 Freightliner FLD Classic w/ 13 spd that we used to haul our excavator to jobs. What kind of upgrades have you done to get to 575 hp in your '95? Sadly, we had to sell the FLD and lowboy along with a Hyundai 740-7 wheel loader not long after the economy took a dump in '08. BTW, you have a wicked and diverse selection of vehicles in your collection . Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2013 at 8:11AM
i don't know, i think they just tweeked the computer as far as possible? it will pump 35 psi on the boost gauge while pulling a hill at 105,500 lbs.the truck orig had a n14 "come-a-long"(cummins) in it. its a company truck.  someday... my next prject will be a early 90's 379 extdhood pete  chopped dropped  and stretched  (long, low, and loud!) as for all of the vehicles i drive---- i'll leave you guys with a noteable quote from me "LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO DRIVE JUNK!" Cool
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2014 at 2:33PM
I retired from the Air Force where I did Reconnaissance Photography. Major security clearance, but that it all I can say about that. I used the GI Bill to get a degree in architecture.

Now I just draw purty pictures.

JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2014 at 2:47PM
WOW thought that was a photo at first
1zebra3                      76 S&H Torino
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2014 at 3:03PM
That is the Center for the Arts that I did for Eastern Kentucky University. I also design residential projects.

JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2014 at 3:21PM
cool! i took 5 1/2 years of mechanical drafting and 1 1/2 years of architectual drafting in school, back in the day when we had to use triangles and a compass and dividers, no fancy computers to draw it for you back then LOL  most people thought it was boring, but i enjoyed it, paid off later, i can sketch out a rough blueprint for a part and take it to the machine shop, and get the part back perfectThumbs Up

Edited by californiajohnny - 15-June-2014 at 3:29PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2014 at 4:32PM
Being able to draft out your idea can really be helpful for a lot of different things.

I can also kindof draw by hand too.

JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2014 at 2:46AM
I thought that first one was a picture as well. Finally saw the flag and realized it was a drawing. Superb.

I was very much into mechanical drawing from the time I was a kid and all through high school. Wanted to be an architect more than anything, but that dream was smashed.

Fantastic work!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2014 at 5:08AM
I couldn't draw flies on a warm day. Nice work, J.T.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2014 at 5:45AM
Originally posted by antlerfiend antlerfiend wrote:

LOL, I hadn't heard that one.
Alex, I can't carry a tune if it was in a bucket.
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2014 at 6:11AM
Took one samester in collage.I can draw stick people real good.bautiful work.
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2014 at 12:31PM
Originally posted by antlerfiend antlerfiend wrote:

Don't underestimate yourself Alex. I bet you can draw LOTS of flies....without even trying.   
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2014 at 3:46PM
I've been known to draw mosquitos. LoL
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2015 at 5:28AM
I am a General Education teacher at New Castle School of Trades. We teach a bunch of different trades between the two schools. The school I'm at has Diesel, Power Generation, Heavy equipment repair (one program) Motor cycle and power equipment, Commercial truck driving, Heavy equipment operation, and industrial maintenance. 

The Students did an in-frame overhaul on this detroit 60 series, and had some inspiration from an instructors at home project....

Edited by ZCowher - 30-January-2015 at 7:21AM
ZC
2016 F-150 xl 2.7 liter
73 Gran Torino Formal roof, Ten damn years, and its almost there.
IndyLTD I I View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndyLTD I I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 5:14PM
I currently am an electrostatic painter for a company that manufactures push reel mowers.

I paint them as they roll through my paint booth.

It's a messy job working with 50 year old equipment sometimes...

Then there are the days you don't realize your mask leaks until your nose is all green.

It's a good job, great hours, and some decent perks like access to free sheet metal scraps, media blasting equipment, welders, etc. The plant supervisor is customizing a 58 Chevy Truck and is pretty cool about letting us use equipment on our time for our projects. As soon as I score some spare control arms I'm going to run them through my booth. We have a really nice metallic silver gloss, and a nice gunmetal metallic I want to try on them. The paint is really durable after it is baked on, I think it will work real well.

Lee Virden
1978 LTD II S
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 6:16PM
lee: that's cool to have those kind of perks, especially for a car guy with upcoming projects! Big smile

zack: cool! i used to be a Detroit guy, until i started driving this kenworth now with a 3406E in it, LOVE IT! but i learned as a kid driving a Detroit 8V71 in a 69 cab over freightliner, nothing like the sound of those old 2 stroke detroits!!!!Thumbs Up you have any of those old 2 stroke v-8's in the shop 8V71's or 8V92's? for nostalgic purposes???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2018 at 2:52PM
I am a music teacher/band director--about 25 yrs at the Jr/Sr high level, 4 yrs in the elementary level 5 yrs in the university level. Still a long way from retirement yet.

I also am a member or some performing groups, and am an on-call low-brass substitute for a local orchestra.

On the side, I build dulcimers, banjos, and mandolins.

On the side of that, I collect,repair, and rebuild the Xj-series Yamaha motorcycles, and have received numerous trophies.

On the side of THAT--I have my 2 torinos........and a number of other projects, as well.

Dave
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2018 at 8:24PM
my names Fred Garvin and I'm a male prostitute
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2018 at 2:01AM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
twintornados View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2018 at 4:52AM
I have been employed as a Corrections Officer and now a Corrections Sergeant for the State of NY. Been doing that for almost 24 years now....also, for the last year I was elected to a regional position to represent the Officers and Sergeants for our Union - official title is Central Region Vice President. Upside is, I don't have to work in the prison every day, the downside is, now I cover 7 facilities that are in upwards of 2 hours away on the road...not really a downside as I enjoy representing my members...

Sold the Elite so now the hunt is on for my next "toy"...
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2018 at 3:42PM

I have been doing plumbing and heating for about twenty years, the last ten have been in Boston. Just trying to stay healthy enough to keep up with my six year old boy.
67gt5003119 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67gt5003119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2018 at 5:59PM
My "former job". City of Phx, AZ PD airport bureau.
My last 5 years. Love avaition! Some of the photos are me on the flight deck of a MD11, 747, and the 787 dreamliner on tour prior to going into service.
HUD display on the 787. Staring down southwest 737 ready for takeoff roll. (Clearing the runway of debris) tailing President Bush's C17 equipment globe master prior to departure, and at departure. Me on airforce 2.
Now I play with old cars

72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2018 at 4:20AM
Very impressive!!!! Must have been years of training
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2018 at 7:17AM

HystericalHandshake
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2018 at 9:48AM
Originally posted by kychevyguy kychevyguy wrote:

HystericalHandshake

a few of us older guys get that one lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>