The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bucket seats.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bucket seats.
    Posted: 24-February-2012 at 12:16PM
any one with bucket seats,  what did you guys do re-do your seats?   assuming the seat frame and springs are good.    i know you can buy the covers,  but im concerned with the seat foam.   i havnt been able to locate any reproduction seat foam yet.  

anyone with bucket seats could you possibly measure the the seat back and bottom?   the typical info   length with and thickness of the foam.   i am starting to look in to mustang and cougar seat foam as well as early torino 70/71.    the high back buckets from the early 70's mustang and cougar look very similar to that of the torino.    i am most interested in the 72/73 torino high back bucket seats.

these are 72/73 high back bucket seats for a torino

here's seat foam from mustangs

69/70 mustang standard high back and grande
                                                                1969-70 Mustang standard Hi Back Seat Foam made by Mustang Market             
 heres 69/70 mach 1 seat foam.   1969-70 Mach 1 hi back Seat Foam made by Mustang Market
 and this is 71-73 mustang seat foam. 1971-73 Mustang Seat foam All models made by Mustang Market

to me the 69/70 look to be the closest in shape.   my thought is that maybe ford used the same seat foam and just changed the seat covers and all  form one to the other.   anyone have any idea on this,  or maybe a part number for the seat foam from a ford service manual.   how about a break down of the seats and everything.

-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2012 at 12:22PM
these are 69 mach 1 seats
Original look white interior for a 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1
-kevin-
Black 73 GTS FB 302
73 GTS FB Parted

72BlackGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2012 at 1:18PM
Kevin, I have a buddy who has nothing but 69-70 Mustang parts. I can ask him if he has an old bucket seat that he wouldn't mind me taking the covers off and then you could compare your foam to the  Mustang foam. I am in Philly now but I expect to be home Wed/Thurs next week. Let me know if you want to try it and I will ask him.
Ron
Ron
1978 LTD II Sport-Green
2003 HD Road King Classic 100th Anniversary
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2012 at 1:50PM
....I wonder if you could just get the "seat" foam (the part of the seats that are torn)...your seat backs look to be in good shape.  As far as replicating the stitching design, couldn't a decent upholstery shop be able to do that?...just asking for my own knowledge.Geek
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2012 at 3:04PM
Ron that would be great!  let me know what you find out.
-kevin-
Black 73 GTS FB 302
73 GTS FB Parted

doc57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2012 at 2:44AM
My upholtery shop was able to re foam my bottom cushions. They took a block of foam and shaped it to size. They do it all the time.
1978 LTD II "S" sport touring The "Beast"
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2012 at 3:12PM
if you dont mind me asking how much did it run for you to have your seats redone?
-kevin-
Black 73 GTS FB 302
73 GTS FB Parted

doc57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2012 at 3:44PM
If I remember right it was around $600 for both buckets and the back seat. I removed everthing and did the carpet, headliner, dash pad and repainted the console while the seats were at the upolstery shop.
1978 LTD II "S" sport touring The "Beast"
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2012 at 4:21PM
When I searched, I concur, 70 mustang highjack bucket seat foam is what I was looking at using, closest I could match to the GTS buckets.
I wanted something better than stock, but I would strongly suggest asking the interior shop to try to add some sort of bolstering.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2012 at 6:25AM
I am ordering my interior covers this weekend, most likely.  My interior guy is going to re-pad the foam and make it nice-nice.  For my 2 buckets & rear seat, the cost is going to be about $800, including the covers themselves.  This is all ball-park, but it breaks down to about $470 for the covers and about $300 for the labor & materials.  I hope this helps!
~Chris
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2012 at 6:34AM
Appreciate the information
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2012 at 10:51AM
i have another question guys,  anyone know how common automatic  seat back release was on our cars?   along with like power seats?
-kevin-
Black 73 GTS FB 302
73 GTS FB Parted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2012 at 2:57PM
I have power seats, but it is a bench.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
SocalTorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2012 at 3:13PM
I'm still looking for a set of bucket seat cores so I cam redo them for my N code
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2012 at 1:46PM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

I have power seats, but it is a bench.

is that on the wagon joe?   
-kevin-
Black 73 GTS FB 302
73 GTS FB Parted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2012 at 1:37AM
Yes, it is on the wagon. If I were to swap to buckets, I'd forgo adapting the power parts off the bench, as it works flawlessly (hate to booger it up) and I'll probably not move the seat often since I'm the only driver.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2012 at 8:23AM
ok next thing    im not sure what to do to clean up the seat frames and seat tracks.     seat frames are in pretty good shape i think i might have to to a little cutting and weld in a patch or two for a couple small rusted holes no biggy,   i know i can wire wheel or sand blast the frames and then por 15 or rattle can black them and they will be fine.   what i am most worried about is the seat tracks and all the springs that are on them.   they are not rotten by any means but i just want to freshen up everything   I dont think sand blasting the seat tracks is a good idea getting all the grit in to the track i am afraid it might jam up the moving of the track,  these are in very good shape and move nice and smooth  i dont want to wreck that.   any thoughts guys?        is this something that a upholstery place would take care of?    i think it would be better if i did it all my self to save some cash and maybe just had them rebuild the seat foam and cover the seats.    the more prep work i can do myself the better right?

ill get some pics up later of what i am working with.

Edited by kversch - 24-March-2012 at 8:24AM
-kevin-
Black 73 GTS FB 302
73 GTS FB Parted

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2012 at 8:59AM
most upholstery shops are not going to refurbish the seat frame and will recover over what is there so I would take the time and DIY so you can clean them up do any repairs and put some fresh paint on the metal.
I think the foam will have to be cut specifically for the Torino buckets as the stitching goes in the opposite direction and that is what the groves in the foam is for as the pull the  material into the grooves and hog ring it to hold the shapes. some is  batting in the seat cover but some gets tucked into the foam.Your experienced upholstery shops know how to make it from scracth and why they get paid so much.

luckily i'm not using Torino buckets but not sure if the 97-99 Explorer foam is available but really just need the drivers bottom repaired with a piece of foam so they may be able to patch mine.
now that I moved I will have to find a shop around here to do it when it comes time
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2012 at 9:07AM
Originally posted by kversch kversch wrote:

i have another question guys,  anyone know how common automatic  seat back release was on our cars?   along with like power seats?

My Tomato is a bucket seat car equipped with the auto seat back releases and I have added the power seat mechanism. No idea how common either were back in the day on the Torino, but I would guess they were fairly common on the Cougars and Tbirds... and perhaps the Montego as well??

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2012 at 9:12AM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

My Tomato is a bucket seat car equipped with the auto seat back releases and I have added the power seat mechanism. No idea how common either were back in the day on the Torino, but I would guess they were fairly common on the Cougars and Tbirds... and perhaps the Montego as well??

maybe you can help me out then,  how exactly does the auto seat back releases work?   i know there is supposedly a switch that does it when the door is opened?   but is there also a switch to use on the dash?   a parts car we have had this option and i want to make sure we dont wreck anything needed to transplant in to the other car.
-kevin-
Black 73 GTS FB 302
73 GTS FB Parted

kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2012 at 10:55AM
here are a few pics of the seats i have to put in to my 73.   I picked these up last year form carl at the first gts show. Thumbs Up   i really want to start working on them but i think i should hold off till im totally ready to send them off the have the seat foam done and be recovered.

i think they came out of one of carl's 72  but i cant remember.
-kevin-
Black 73 GTS FB 302
73 GTS FB Parted

stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2012 at 11:59AM

ok next thing    im not sure what to do to clean up the seat frames and seat tracks.     seat frames are in pretty good shape i think i might have to to a little cutting and weld in a patch or two for a couple small rusted holes no biggy,   i know i can wire wheel or sand blast the frames and then por 15 or rattle can black them and they will be fine.   what i am most worried about is the seat tracks and all the springs that are on them.   they are not rotten by any means but i just want to freshen up everything   I dont think sand blasting the seat tracks is a good idea getting all the grit in to the track i am afraid it might jam up the moving of the track,  these are in very good shape and move nice and smooth  i dont want to wreck that.   any thoughts guys?        is this something that a upholstery place would take care of?    i think it would be better if i did it all my self to save some cash and maybe just had them rebuild the seat foam and cover the seats.    the more prep work i can do myself the better right?

ill get some pics up later of what i am working with.

Some shops will sandblast and paint the frames (some won't) but, as with everything, it'll cost more, so I'd do it myself. I wouldn't waste POR-15 on them, rattle can rust paint should be fine. It might be worth the extra cost to replace the springs if they seem weak.
  I'd clean the track with solvent and a wire wheel. I agree, sand would be faster but cause more damage. As long as they're clean and lubed, that'll be fine. Who's gonna see them anyway?

Note: I'm sure you were going to anyway, but make sure to keep the seat foam as intact as possible so the upholstery shop has something to copy....just sayin'...

Edited by stanman - 24-March-2012 at 12:03PM
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2012 at 12:55PM
Well I hope the upholstery shop can add new seat cushion springs cause those seats don't have any left
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2012 at 2:28PM

Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

maybe you can help me out then,  how exactly does the auto seat back releases work?   i know there is supposedly a switch that does it when the door is opened?   but is there also a switch to use on the dash?   a parts car we have had this option and i want to make sure we dont wreck anything needed to transplant in to the other car.

There is a relay mounted on the drivers side kick panel that is activated by the door switch which then closes and triggers the seat back solenoids that release the seat backs for easy entry into the back seat. You'll need to grab the relay, wiring harnesses and seat back solenoids!

Hope this helps!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2012 at 2:41PM
Those seats came out of the Yellow 72 Formal I stripped.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2012 at 12:54PM
Kevin-
I would have them soda blasted.
Tracks, frames, springs, everything soda blasted, and then just take into be powder coated.
Simple, and in the long run will hold up the best.
Seat tracks don't look bad, you could unbolt them and just redo the seat frames.

I never bothered to redo my seat tracks, all I did was use wheel bearing grease, and lubed up the tracks well, and cleaned the excess off. 3+ years now, and glass smooth.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
SocalTorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2012 at 7:55PM
I have a question do 72 GTS bucket seats have plastic backing on the back rest?
I just got a set of buckets But they don't have the backing, they have stiching outling where the seat back is supose to be

Edited by SocalTorino - 27-March-2012 at 7:57PM
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2012 at 12:02AM
I guess it was an option, mine had them
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2012 at 10:30AM
Eliteman76 said;
Kevin-
I would have them soda blasted.

I'm not 100% sure but a guy who does soda blasting up here told me it wouldn't remove rust.
 Post Reply Post Reply