The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Torino's sound...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Torino's sound...
    Posted: 07-March-2012 at 12:40PM
Ok guys, I know the sound used on the show was canned engine sounds, but what engine/exhaust sounded like it? Here is a clip of Hutch taking a turn behind the wheel of the Torino that has some pretty good examples of the sound....

I have a pair of Flowmaster Super 40's to go behind my 460 so I KNOW I ain't gonna have this sound! Anyone have any ideas??

Let the fun begin....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Skinnys Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinnys Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2012 at 12:59PM
Sounds just like the '68 Charger from the movie Bullitt.Cool
Scott -'73 Gran Torino Brougham

Past Torino's -'73 Q-code GTS, '76 Original PS-122 S&H, '73 H-code GTS, '73 Ranchero
        '71 Cobra 351 Auto, '70 351C Brougham 2dr HT, '71 351C Ranchero
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2012 at 1:03PM
at 1:00 minute look at the door handle.  it is stuck in the up position.  wierd
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2012 at 1:10PM
Mine does that too. Cool video.

Edited by GTW - 07-March-2012 at 1:11PM
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 2:15PM

...A while back...last year... I was at the local auto parts store ..they had a Flowmaster display w/ sound.  By pushing different buttons you could hear the different Flowmaster mufflers....there was a couple that was close, but no cigar.  I know that matching an exhaust system to a television show sound effect will be next to impossible ( I am still trying to figure out how to make my Federal Signal siren control work in both wail and yelp mode together..just like the siren sound effect in the show...and it's a 70's era siren control unit)

I don't know if any on line search will yield you anything usable ( YouTube) or if doing research over at Starskytorino.com will yield anything as far as what other people are using on their Torinos....it would appear that Flowmaster is the way to go according to what "I" have read at that site but I don't know which model.

"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
GRAN1976TORINO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRAN1976TORINO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 2:40PM
Maybe 2 federal 300 siren boxes at the same time for the dual sound like the tv show. Or maybe tape it on the trusty itouch/mp3 from tv. Play it over the PA or dynamax siren. :)
mule323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mule323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2012 at 1:15PM
I went with Borla's on the 73. A little less throaty than flowmasters. Sounds "close" to the video clip but not dead on.
             (Steve)
73 G.T.S. Fastback, 351C, C6
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2012 at 12:18PM

....It donned on me today....I saw a "Cherry Bomb" sticker on the back glass of a Ford pick up in Falls City, Neb.... Since this sound effect was used thru out the 70's and beyond...(who knows where or what created it [Ford, Mopar, G.M]) , the chances are pretty good that the mufflers where glass packs...

I am simply guessing that the car(what ever it was) that was used for the sound effect was equipped with these items from the late 60's early 70's:

1) A big block....I have listened to different episodes over and over again to try and pin the exhaust sound down.   I have yet to hear a small block "take a few seconds" to get wound up like on the show.....even the "big inch" small blocks rev pretty quick. (i.e G.M small block 400) 

2) Manual transmission.... pay attention to when ever the car is shifted from a forward to reverse gear or visa versa.

3) Headers... unless they where some high performance,stock exhaust manifolds from the late 60's very early 70's...you just don't get that sound from factory stock exhaust manifolds

4) Dual Exhast....again, no 2 in to 1 single pipe exhaust can sound like that.

5) Glass Packs....that's all we had back in the day 

With all that being said, the "X" factor still remains as to which engine with what goodies made the sound.

Me personally , since I have the 351W, FMX Tranny in my Torino, am going with headers, dual exhaust (either an "X" pipe or "H" pipe) and further research will determine which Glass Packs or present day performance mufflers will be used.       

"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
torkair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2012 at 8:07PM
That sound is a Pontiac 301 Turbo motor.  I've heard them in person and that is the sound you are hearing.

Please, for the love of GOD, do NOT put a Pontiac motor in your Torino!
72 Gran Torino "sport"- in progress

73 Ranchero GT- Q code-460/C6/3.25 open rear
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2012 at 8:35PM

I don't think it was a Pontiac 301turbo because the engine didn't come into being until around 1980 I believe and the series was already off the air by then.... don't worry, I bleed FORD BLUE!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Starsky74Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starsky74Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2012 at 1:19AM
I think it sounds like the Mustang Steve McQueen drove in Bullet... it was a 390 with stock ford mufflers... but I dont know if the sound was also canned..
I have the 40 series mufflers on mine and its not loud enough.. people have told me I need headers but I wont risk breaking the bolts off in the heads.. I am experimenting with different sized pipe and tips.. if I get the sound right I will post what I did..
personally I believe the canned sound from the show was an engine with 60.s horsepower rather than subdued 70's.
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2012 at 5:50AM
The Mustang used in Bullitt wasn't stock.  From what I've read it had a few mods to help even the score with the 440 including extra compression and headers....  One account does however say they used the actual cars to generate the sounds used in the movie.

Jim
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2012 at 8:12AM
Flowmasters weren't even available until the early 80s, if I remember old ads I've seen correctly. I'd be looking at things that were available back then... really large case mufflers, that they probably ran water through to remove the sound deadening fiberglass wrap, but the large cases still acted like echo cans.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinnys Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2012 at 10:20AM
Just listened to the Bullitt chase scene again. When the Charger first takes off to start the chase, try and ignore the tire noise and music - very close to the same engine sound used in the Starsky clip. I think the car sounds recorded in Bullitt (both Mustang and Charger) were used in several movies and TV shows back in the day. 
GRAN1976TORINO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRAN1976TORINO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2012 at 10:36AM
Do you think Bullit was dubbed from another movie and not original sounds from the mustang and charger? ???thoughts?
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2012 at 11:58AM
Originally posted by Skinnys Garage Skinnys Garage wrote:

Just listened to the Bullitt chase scene again. When the Charger first takes off to start the chase, try and ignore the tire noise and music - very close to the same engine sound used in the Starsky clip. I think the car sounds recorded in Bullitt (both Mustang and Charger) were used in several movies and TV shows back in the day. 

Skinny,

I agree the Charger takeoff in Bullitt IS the same as the Torino takeoff in the above clip. "Movie Mike" (builder of the Torino's for the S&H movie) says the Bullitt sounds were used for the TV show.

I took the Bullitt Special Edition DVD to work to watch during my lunch hour and disc 2 is all about the making of the film. Hoping there will be something mentioned about the engine sounds....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2012 at 12:12PM
Originally posted by GRAN1976TORINO GRAN1976TORINO wrote:

Do you think Bullit was dubbed from another movie and not original sounds from the mustang and charger? ???thoughts?

The movie "Bullitt" is from 1968...prior to that there just weren't many "car chase movies."  There are a few from that era though...1974's "Dirty Larry,Crazy Mary" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKx8KUUF5E      ...another Dodge Charger and 1974's "Gone in 60 seconds"    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8ps7C2s09I&NR=1&feature=fvwp    1973's "White Lightning" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leKp43seddc   These 3 appear to have different "sound effects" i.e exhaust.

Besides a few "B" grade movies the only other movie that comes to mind prior to 1968 that has any chase scenes is the 1958's "Thunder Road"......trust me the '51 and '57 Ford's didn't sound like anything that exciting.  

I read somewhere where the movie producers would line a street or in the case of the "Blues Brothers" a mall with many microphones to pick up every possible noise.  In watching the Bullitt clip you can hear hub caps rolling off of the Charger as well as a side swipe wreck.

Is it plausible that the producers of Starsky & Hutch used some old audio tape from Bullitt.....Yes    Consider the episode where Starsky crashes the Torino while involved in a chase ....you know...the one where Hutch gets amnesia.  There is plenty of chase audio that bears a striking resemblance to the same audio from Bullitt....2 cars 2 different sounds.

It's been awhile since I heard a 440 Mopar (i.e the Charger from Bullitt) in stock form...SO could the sound that we are after simply be a 440 with dual exhaust, perhaps?  Getting a small block(351W in my case) to sound like a big block might be impossible.

Lets keep our ears open and see if we hear something that shows some promise and find out what all it is....it's worth a try at least. 

Edited by Zebra 3 - 13-March-2012 at 12:31PM
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinnys Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2012 at 12:16PM
My Bullitt DVD has a short film in the special features section called 'Bullitt: Steve McQueen's Commitment to Reality' that shows them practicing with the cars, camera car mounts etc. From what I've read, they used the actual sounds from the cars during the chase and filled in the gaps later at Willow Springs, also using the actual cars. Other sources talk about some of the Mustang sounds being from a GT40, but I haven't seen any real info on that. I might need to get that Special Edition Bullitt, let us know how complete the "making of" section is.
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2012 at 12:45PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullitt
.......QUOTE From Wikipedia
"Filming

The total time of the scene is 10 minutes and 53 seconds, and it began in the Fisherman's Wharf area (at Columbus and Chestnut), followed by Midtown shooting on Hyde Street and Laguna Street, with shots of Coit Tower and locations around and on Filbert and University Streets. The scene ends at the Guadalupe Canyon Parkway in Brisbane, out of the city.[8]

Two 1968 390 CID V8 Ford Mustangs (325 bhp) with four-speed manual transmission were used for the chase scene, both owned by Ford Motor Company and part of a promotional loan agreement with Warner Bros. The Mustangs' engines, brakes and suspensions were heavily modified for the chase by veteran car racer Max Balchowsky. Ford Motor Company had also originally loaned two Ford Galaxie sedans that were intended to be used in the chase scenes, but the producers found the cars entirely too heavy to put through jumps over the hills of San Francisco without the cars' suspensions being severely damaged. The Galaxie sedans were replaced with two 1968 440 CID/375 bhp Dodge Chargers that were bought outright from Glendale Dodge in Glendale, California.[citation needed] The engines in both Chargers were left largely unmodified, but the suspension was mildly upgraded to cope with the demands of the stunt work.

The director called for speeds of about 75–80 miles per hour (121–130 km/h), but the cars (including the ones containing the cameras) reached speeds of over 110 miles per hour (180 km/h) on surface streets. Driver's point-of-view angles were used to give the audience the "feel" of the ride as the cars jumped the hills. Filming the chase scene took three weeks, resulting in 9 minutes and 42 seconds of film. During this film sequence, the Charger loses five wheel covers and has different ones missing in different shots. As a result of shooting from multiple angles simultaneously, and some angles' footage used at different times to give the illusion of different streets, the speeding cars can be seen passing the same green Volkswagen Beetle four different times, and the same blue Chevelle Malibu S.S.396 with a black vinyl top three times. The Charger also crashes into the camera in one scene and the damaged front fender is noticeable in later scenes. After the Charger hits a parked car, it disappears for a split second from the screen before the scene is changed. The San Francisco authorities did not let the filmmakers film the car chase on the Golden Gate Bridge, but they did permit the passage to be filmed in Midtown locations including the Mission District, and in neighboring Brisbane, on the city's outskirts.

McQueen, an accomplished driver, drove in the close-up scenes, about 10% of the chase in the film. The stunt coordinator, Carey Loftin, hired stuntman and motorcycle racer Bud Ekins, and McQueen's usual stunt driver Loren Janes, to do the dangerous stunts in the Mustang.[9] Ekins is also the stunt man who lays down his bike in front of a skidding truck during the chase (Ekins also doubled for McQueen in the sequence of The Great Escape in which McQueen's character jumps over a barbed wire fence on a motorcycle). The Mustang’s interior rear view mirror goes up and down depending on who is driving; when the mirror is up (visible) McQueen is behind the wheel, and when it is down (not visible) Ekins is driving. The black Dodge Charger was driven by Bill Hickman, who also played one of the hitmen and helped with the choreography of the chase scene. The other hitman was played by Paul Genge who had played another character who rode a Dodge off the road to his death in an episode of Perry Mason - "The Case of the Sausalito Sunrise" two years earlier.

Of the two Mustangs, one was scrapped after filming due to liability concerns and the surviving backup car was sold to an employee of Warner Brothers' editing department.[citation needed] The car changed hands several times, and Steve McQueen at one point made an unsuccessful attempt to buy it. The Mustang is rumored to have been kept in a barn in the Ohio River Valley by an unknown owner."

Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2012 at 8:21AM
OK, here are some comparisons. Here is the Bullitt film clip....

Here is a 68 390 Mustang (Bullitt tribute)...

Here is a 68 440 Charger (Bullitt tribute)...
and another (69 440)...

The SE BULLITT DVD feature (attached below) stresses how they tried to stay true in all the action the shot and the sounds from the clip sound like the cars in the film....

One thing I notice was that there was no CHRYSLER STARTER WINE when Hutch hit the key, so perhaps all the effects used for the Torino are from the 390 Mustang???

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Starsky74Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starsky74Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2012 at 8:49AM
thats what I was thinking... 390 mustang... that chrysler whine is very noticible... I used to drive a Jaguar XJ6 that had the same whine as a chrysler..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinnys Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2012 at 11:19AM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

One thing I notice was that there was no CHRYSLER STARTER WINE when Hutch hit the key, so perhaps all the effects used for the Torino are from the 390 Mustang???
The sound of the Torino starting and at the end of the clip could very well be the Torino itself, the car rocks during the revs and jumps going into gear etc. When they back up and take off the sound changes (not really even in sinc with the car moving), at that point it sounds like the Bullitt Charger to me. All I know for sure is that it doesn't sound like my car.Cool
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2012 at 3:05PM
Allow me to throw something else into the works.....Thrush mufflers...give a listen....
  After hearing the demos I am now leaning towards the Thrush exhaust for my Torino...

Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
Kit Sullivan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kit Sullivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2012 at 2:19PM
  The engine sounds on "Starsky & Hutch" are all sound effects dubbed in during editing. There are several reasons for this:
  1. The cars on the TV show were not "owned" by the production company, but were leased to Spelling-Goldberg for the duration of the run. Once filming was complete, they were returned to Ford, and were then uncerimoniously (and surprising, knowing thier noteriety) prepped for wholesale, and then wholesaled to Ford dealers at an auction. California law forbade any type of engine/ drivetrain modifications that would render the factory-installed emissions systems inoperative, so they were left nearly 100% stock. This means the 1st-season cars were stock 400 2V, single exhaust cars, and the 2nd-4th season cars were stock 460-4V dual exhaust cars. 
  2. Making any modifications that would result in the "Starsky Engine" sound would have entailed at the very least some exhaust system mods, but that would have been a waste of time and money anyway because... 
  3. ...nearly all 2nd unit filming, the unit that films scenes that do NOT require the star actors to be present, is typically filmed "wild". In "Starsky & Hutch", this is most often any scenes involving the car, whether it is racing around or just driving by, as long as the star actors are not required for the shot. These shots are always filmed using stand-ins for the actors. On nearly every episode of "Starsky & Hutch", if there is a long shot of them just walking into a building, or even driving up in the car, getting out and going inside, it is usually done with stand-ins, as long as thier faces are clearly shown. This is very easy to spot in nearly all episodes. Additionally, filming "wild" simply means that they are not recording any sound with the film for that shot, or if they do film with sound, it is only to be used for a template later by the SDFX and foley artists when they create the entire sound track for that scene 100% in the studio while editing it all together. It is near impossible to get a good, clean sound recording while on location, especially when the show has to be banged together quickly.
  4. The sounds of the car on the show sound great, for sure, but it is preposterous to think they could be actual live on-set recordings for many all-too-obvious reasons:
    1. The Torinos in actuality are highway-geared, automatic trans cars. Conversely, the sound effects clearly depict a manual-transmission car, and clearly one with a very high (numerically) axle ratio...this is why the gears change so many times so quickly. This may be totally innacurate, but it definitely adds a lot of "zip" and excitemnent to the scenes of the Torino in action. To see how a little more realistically-recorded sound package sounds, watch any episode of "Nash Bridges" and his 71" Cuda. That show had 5 "Bridges" Cudas, but only one of them was outfitted with the equipment to give it the proper sound. (That car was a 440 magnum, 4-speed car). This car was used for all the "sounds" on the show, regardless of which actual car was used in the scene. Because it was a normal, highway-geared car most of the stunts were done at low RPM, and consequently all the engine sounds sounded to be at low RPM...subtly keeping the subconcious "zip" of the scene down a bit.
    2. In any close up of the actors talking in the car on location, or while being trailered, they need as clean sound track as possible, with no or very little extraneous noises to "pollute" the sound recording. Once the sound editors have "locked" the dialogue, then foley artists add all the background sound, including the engine noises. Clearly, if the car had the "Starsky" sound in real life, it would have made dialogue recording quite difficult.
  5. For many years, I have diligently attempted to track down just exactly what vehicle and engine combo was used for the Torino's sound effects, and my latest opinion is that there were several sources used, based on what "fit" the scene sonically. Clearly, a few of the scenes use sounds direcytly lifted from "Bullitt", as do many, many movies and TV shows. The SDFX editors probably just used whatever was in thier "library". My personal opinion is that most of the sounds came from a very high-performance, high-winding small-block race car, like a GT40 or a full-race Corvette or something along those lines. Those are certainly not big-block sounds for sure.
  6. For some good examples of this, I direct you to two well-known and popular movies: Smokey and the Bandit, and Gone in 60 seconds (the original version from 1974).Both movies were released in thier original form on DVD several years ago, and both have sinve been re-released on re-mastered and stereo-modified soundtracks...which niether of them had originally. In both instances, ALL of the original car-engine noises were replaced with "improved" stereo versions. They both suck. Smokey was (for me anyway) RUINED by this...the sounds of the T/A in that movie were fabulous, and the new versions of it are flat and lifeless.
"I'm too old to grow up now!"
Srandaz2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srandaz2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2012 at 4:01PM
So I just want to add my two cents.....first of all everyone has excellent input on this topics...so kudos. Secondly being a life time fan of the show and the car since I watched the first show in April 1975, and painstakingly building my Gran Torino over the years I have learned a lot. The bottom line is the sound was all dubbed. To incorporate the show. The only time I can even get close to the original sound is when I rev at 3500 . And that running hooker headers and 40 series flow masters....although I have heard glass packs may spruce it up a bit.. I would prefer to be able to have a conversation in the car without hearing the exhaust full time......

By the way did anyone notice the black outline on the vector stripe and the broken door handle? Looks like someone wedged up on it a little too hard....lol
Steve
Paul W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2012 at 11:32PM
If i had the money in the future, this is what i want our torino to sound like.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kit Sullivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2012 at 3:29AM
  Apparently, amongst sound-effects editors that need a great "American V-8" sound for films, there is a well-known collection of engine sounds that were generated using a custom-built high-performance 302 4-speed in a 72 Bronco (shorty headers with glass packs).
  This Bronco collection has been used over and over throughout the years, most notably in "Last Action Hero".
  The SDFX guys will subtly mix two or more engine sounds together sometimes to give a new and unique sound to a particular engine.
  And of course by altering the pitch or tone of an engine's sound, it can be made to sound like anything from a high-winding small-block to a thundering big-block.

In "Fast and Furious 5", Vin Diesel's cop Charger at the end had a supercharger whine added to it to make his car seem just a little more "hyper" than the other supposedly identical Chargers in the big climax at the end of the film. 

The Torino's used in the "S&H" movie are a rare example of the actual cars in the movie being the same ones to be used to record the sound effects.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2012 at 3:32AM
Interestingly enough, I still have not seen the movies that used my Honda Civic's exhaust note - unless silent movies count.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kit Sullivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2012 at 4:16AM
  A great combo of parts to make a great Torino exhaust note on a car with stock exhaust manifolds is this:

Dual exhaust, cheap turbo mufflers and then some 18" glasspacks downstream from those.

We did that on a 74 Montego, and it sounded great. The turbos before the glasspacks took some of that high-pitched "rap" out of it and added a deep,mellow rumble...just a great sound.

We put the turbos in the usual spot, and the glaspacks in the tailpipes alongside of the gas tank, hidden up in the body work.

You'll love it...

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2012 at 4:45AM
I have a complete setup off a '74 302 from the manifolds to the tips with Turbos. Going to install them on the '72 I am selling in order to keep the nice headers and Flows. I also have a set of Glasspacks off my parts truck. May just have to try that on it. No harm, no foul since I am selling it.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>