The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery Draining Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Draining Problem
    Posted: 17-July-2006 at 2:01PM
I got my '72 Torino that I posted about a week ago and love it.  The body is totally solid.  However the battery went dead so I bought a brand new optima red top battery (since I plan on moving the battery to the trunk) and I only drove the car a couple of miles and parked it.  The next day the battery is dead as a doornail.  I didn't leave the lights on or anything like that so I'm not sure what is draining the battery when the car is off.  Any ideas?  I'm clueless when it comes to electrical gremlins.  Thanks.
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2006 at 6:20PM
Disconect the battery and put it on a charger, when it's charged use a volt meter to take a reading across the terminals which should read over 12 volts. Then hook up it up to your car again and take another reading. If the volts starts to drop below 12 volts something like a light, stereo or alarm could be drawing from the battery.    
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2006 at 1:53PM

I'll try that but what's strange is that this was a drag car that has no radio or other accessories so it might be something unsual that's draining it.   Thanks for the help.

bjohnm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjohnm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2006 at 7:24AM
I had a similar problem with my 72. I didn't have a volt meter so I took a spare tail light lamp, attached a wire to the brass case and one to the center solder connection. Unhook the negative battery cable, hook 1 wire to the cable and the other to the battery post. If there is a short anywhere in the car, the lamp will light. Then, one by one, remove the fuses from the fuse panel until, hopefully, the lamp goes out. that should put you in the ball park about just which circuit is shorting. Then, start chasing the wires for that circuit and look for a short to frame ground.

Good luck. It only took me two days to find mine.

John M.
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 12:05PM
Thanks I'll give that a shot.
 Post Reply Post Reply