The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a vicious 400

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building a vicious 400
    Posted: 20-March-2012 at 9:06PM
Well once again the engine building bug has a firm grip on me and this time it's pulling me in the direction of building a 400 with 4v heads, high compression, and a few trick parts.  Now my first 400 build was the epitome of a "poor kid rebuild", I traded off stuff I had for things I needed (some stuff I kinda wish I still had, but whatever) and the thing is quite the bruiser pumping out a conservatively estimated 350 hp and 400 torque.  The next step is to build a more vicious version of a 400 for later, stepping up the game if you will!

I'm not collecting parts yet, just collecting information so here goes nothing.  The goal is to use a late production M block (after they fixed the casting issues that were leading to the blocks cracking), an aftermarket 4" crank for a Winsor, some lightweight connecting rods, and some nice flat top Cleveland pistons.  The heads will be closed chamber 4v heads with 2.25in/1.71ex valves, stud mount roller rockers, and a nice set of bee hive springs.  The cam is undecided as of yet but will be a roller cam for sure.  Intake will consist of spacer plates and a Cleveland single plane topped off with a Braswel carb or perhaps I'll bite the bullet and go fuel injected... Who knows...

Now I'm sure that this sort of build has been done before but I am just looking to generate as much information on this sort of build as I can, both for my benefit as well as for the benefit of other members who like their M blocks but want more power than they already have.
72 Gran Torino "sport"- in progress

73 Ranchero GT- Q code-460/C6/3.25 open rear
MarkGubinski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkGubinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2012 at 12:44AM

I did a build like this back in the '80s when we were running at Milan Dragway. The idea was big block power with small block wieght. This was before all those stroker kits came out. There were no good rods back then either and that was the weak link. They had to be modified to fit the cleveland piston. It worked but only lasted one season before a rod let go. It's a good build. Have fun.

72 Gran Torino Sport 557
10.12 @136 @3600lbs.
2 Time Milan Dragway Track Champion.
2012 IHRA Div. 5 No-Box Champion.
97 career wins.

kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2012 at 12:55PM
Looking back on my 351 Cleveland build & in hindsight, the only regrets I have are - I went to a high volume & shimmed oil pump. Oil pressure is extreme, and high volume pump puts a fair strain on Cam = loss of HP, and may be detrimental to the front cam bearing (not the thrust bearing).
I should have gone to solid roller Cam & gear, with adjustable rockers. Going solid Cam is actually a little cheaper, but you pay for the adjustable rockers.
If I wasn't going for the factory "look" - Electric Fan, fuel & water pump would have been a go, along with voiding the power steering.
Aluminum heads are worth consideration, assuming you haven't got a pair of cast closed chamber on hand. Purchase & engineering cost on a set of cast heads almost outweigh purchase of a pair Ali's.

Hope this helps as I know little about the M block. 
1973 Q code sports roof
 Post Reply Post Reply