The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carpet for LTD II

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carpet for LTD II
    Posted: 28-March-2012 at 3:29PM
Looking to replace the carpet in my 78 LTD II two door. Does anyone have a recommendation ?
Thanks.
Wayne
302ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 302ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2012 at 5:10PM
I ordered an acc brand carpet kit from rock auto last year. Worked out well and it was pretty cheap too.
79 LTD II 408/TKO/3.7's

11.78 117.3mph. drag radials
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2012 at 2:31PM
ACC is the one I used,from auto stock interior.this was for my torino,The only thing I didn't like was the fact that it was one piece.Kinda hard to shift it around to position it into place.but overall happy with the finished installThumbs Up
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Wayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2012 at 3:03PM
Thanks. That looks like what I will order. 
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2012 at 9:16AM
truth be known almost all carpet sold by retailers on ebay is made by acc .When I contacted acc direct their price was 40. more than anyone else.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2012 at 9:25AM
I have an ACC (from Stock Interiors) as well. Fit excellent Color is a little off, but that was my fault for not getting a sample piece of fabric.

A little too light and bright.

From your old carpet, save the little plastic roundel that sits around the foot mounted dimmer switch.

Edited by Psquare75 - 02-April-2012 at 9:25AM
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2012 at 9:49AM
I wonder if it is available for 4 doors and wagons?
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2012 at 1:03PM
Yes,availible for 4dr .I believe wagon carpet to be the same to under rear seat,but rear section I haven't seen available.but they do sell it by the yard,to fab your own.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2012 at 1:24PM
Originally posted by 75GranMan 75GranMan wrote:

Yes,availible for 4dr .I believe wagon carpet to be the same to under rear seat,but rear section I haven't seen available.but they do sell it by the yard,to fab your own.

Yeah, gpd294 got his from there. I'm thinking of doing the same. 
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2012 at 1:50PM
I know I will be replacing the carpet in my Ranchero soon. I talking to a sales rep at the spring Daytona car show this weekend, about ACC carpets and seeing there options I will be ordering the Essex ultra-plush cut-pile (much nicer than the standard cut-pile) with the mass backing option (looks to fit the contours of the floor pan much better and have better sound control). I already have an 80 mil sound deadner (73 mil butyl adhesive and 7 mil aluminum facing) installed I purchased from Audio Technix (AWSOME product). The Essex series has, from what they told me, about 40% more carpet fibers than the standard cut-pile in the same amount of area, plus it has a 3/8" nap compared to a 1/4" nap found in the standard series. The difference was readily apparent. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2012 at 2:04AM
I will be ordering mine this week, then. Thank you all for the great advice!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2012 at 2:51PM
I ordered the mass backing on mine,with the floor shift I had to remove it in the floor riser area,to get it to contour better.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2012 at 3:04PM
Originally posted by 75GranMan 75GranMan wrote:

I ordered the mass backing on mine,with the floor shift I had to remove it in the floor riser area,to get it to contour better.
75Granman, That is good to know. If you had to reorder carpet, would you still purchase the mass backing? I know it looked like the contours were alot more defined in the the floor pan area with the mass backing compared to the regular backing, but that was with a comparison of the samples they had on hand. Todd

75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2012 at 2:42PM
check out my carpet install,in Project updates(75granman's gran torino w/3k).If I were to do it again.I'd pass on the mass backing,and go with deadner on the floor,the one piece carpet is a Mutha to fit due to it's size(less weight the better IMO).If It was 2piece ,it would be alot better.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2012 at 3:02PM
I did not go with mass backing because I had good OEM floor insulation
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2012 at 3:08PM
Thanks for the reply, 75GranMan, on the mass backing. Looking at the sample they had at the show, the rep had me sold on it's use. Todd
Heres a shot of what I laid down to quiet the interior and deal with the exhaust system heat.

Edited by aquartlow - 04-April-2012 at 3:30PM

75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2012 at 1:25PM
Putting that carpet in a rancheroo should be a cake walk.I would definitely order the carpet untrimmed as  that way you can make sure that they don't cut it short anywhere, like the kick panels/door opening.I don't care for the ultra plush myself,prob because I have a dirt driveway.that carpet is hard to keep clean.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2012 at 2:01AM
I just cont. 7suppliers on carpet. the best price was varkmotors.com next was auto int. All sell same carpet acc. You can get thicker pile code is 1017 if available for 65. extra heavy backing 55 to65 extra .Varkmotors only one stated free shipping.There was about a 55 to 85 difference from least to most in price.vankmark was134.99 auto int.124.99.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2012 at 8:14AM
Just received my carpet.Any sec to getting the wrinkles out. They ship that carpet in a very small box. Ordered the extra thick without spec backing.184 inc shipping from vork motors.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2012 at 8:21AM
I've always heard to just take the carpet out of the box, open it up and set it out in the sun for a while. It should take most of the wrinkles out. Todd
BTW, how do you like the "plusher", extra thick carpet? 

fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2012 at 9:54AM
For the extra 55 its way better,my ltd2 had plush from the factory.Only thing I noticed is the fac felt backing is thicker than the after market.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2012 at 10:46AM
Thanks for the reply. I still have to purchase my carpet, been dealing with completing my hydroboost set-up and replacing the major pieces of my A/C system. I liked the look and feel of the thicker carpet from ACC. I do agree the factory backing is thicker, I may end up ordering extra jute backing for my carpet install. Todd

302ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 302ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2012 at 6:50PM
I  was a bit disappointed at first when I received my carpet, but I let it sit out normal for a few days first before installing and all was well.
79 LTD II 408/TKO/3.7's

11.78 117.3mph. drag radials
 Post Reply Post Reply