The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'70 Torino parking brake cables

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HotboxDeluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '70 Torino parking brake cables
    Posted: 03-April-2012 at 2:37AM
Hi all Thumbs Up

Trying to get my buddy's '70 Torino on the road with the German "Historic" registration, unfortunately for him this requires a fully functioning parking brake...and that's the problem!

Does anybody happen to have a diagram or picture of how the parking brake cables are routed, and is willing to share? We've got 3 new cables, a long one, a less long one, and a short one. I can sort of guess which cable belongs where, but how they join together in the middle is proving to be a mystery. I guess tying a knot isn't an option (I was never in the Scouts anyway) but I think he's definately missing a piece or 2.

Would be very grateful for any pointers / diagrams etc! Have ordered a shop manual but it's going to take a couple more weeks to get here.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Adam
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2012 at 6:19AM

The 2 cables from the rear are joined  with a metal peice which  the cable from the emergency/parking brake pedal will join to that so it pulls both cables at the same time.
Sorry can't help with diagram or photos as I own a 72 but they work basically the same way in that era of cars

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 03-April-2012 at 6:21AM
HotboxDeluxe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HotboxDeluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2012 at 3:22AM
Originally posted by 72 GTS 429 72 GTS 429 wrote:

The 2 cables from the rear are joined  with a metal peice which  the cable from the emergency/parking brake pedal will join to that so it pulls both cables at the same time.
Sorry can't help with diagram or photos as I own a 72 but they work basically the same way in that era of cars

Handshake
Thanks buddy - my wife drives a '78 Opel Kadett with a similar setup too. I think the Torino is missing the metal joining piece for a start, had a look through a parts website and I think there's some kind of threaded adjuster thing missing too Lamp
 Post Reply Post Reply