The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

info wanted on 1978 LTD II parts swaps.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: info wanted on 1978 LTD II parts swaps.
    Posted: 10-December-2003 at 11:47PM

Hooker 6126 is the part #, the web page for Summitracing is:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=HOK%2D6126

I don't have any pics of the exhaust, Might be able to get some but I dunno, the current garage doesn't allow for jacking the car up much, it's the headers followed by a 3" Dr Gas universal X pipe, then into 3" Borla XR1's, then header flanges so the whole middle section can be removed, then 90's then the 180's then 90's and a little bend and tuck by a muffler shop to point them out the back into 3.5" polished SS tips..  I think the bends were like $20-25/ea  It ended up being fairly expensive because of some of the parts I used, but since the car only sees maybe 2000 miles a year at most, and never in salt or even rain if I can help it, they should easily last till I go up in engine size and need 3.5", and I did it over 5 years (headers merged to old exhaust, headers to X to Flows and dumps, then tails, then Borlas came last)..   I don't suppose you would have made it to Evansville, IN for the big S&H reunion this past fall? 

novaderrik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote novaderrik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2003 at 2:27PM

thanks for the info.

i already knew the wheel bolt pattern was 5X5- i will be using a set of (gasp) 1985 Chevy truck 15X8" rims with 275/60/15 Firehawk tires on all 4 corners- wheels will be sandblasted and painted black and SHOULD look kind of NASCAR-esque. i took ALL the brake parts off the lincoln i could get off- master, hydroboost unit, prop valve, all rubber lines, etc..

don't suppose you happen to know the part number for the headers? i can't find it listed anywhere. do you happen to have any pics of your homebrewed exhaust setup? about how much are the mandrel bends?

1978 LTD II "S" complete with red over white "Starsky and Hutch" factoy paint. 460/C6 where 351W/C4 used to be
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2003 at 2:06AM

The Mark IV stuff is 5x5 bolt pattern, not 5x4.5 like you car was, just as an FYI, you will also need the Master Cyl and you'll want any distribution valve that car had to use the discs.  Hooker Super Comps are the only headers available for the 460 in this chassis, and they are about $400 from Summit Racing, they are 31" primary, 1 7/8" tube, std pass car flange with a 3" collector (they will fit CJ heads, as my D3's are ported to CJ sized port exit).  If you're going to do much with the 460, go 3" all the way back to the tips, that's what I have and run low 13's@104+ with a full weight '76 S&H Torino and a stock stall speed C6 (4.33 gears though)..  Shocks are also available from Bilstein and KYB, there are even several GM products that use the same shocks.. (have to look in the parts catalogues carefully to see part # crossovers).  I think you'll have a lot of fun with the car,  also Network54.com has a great big-block forum for the 385 series motors (429/460)...

Oh yeah, the 3" tails are built from mandrel bends sourced from NAPA's truck exhaust parts list. just some 90's and a pair of 180's, weld it together right and you've got monster pipes

Edited by JimW

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote novaderrik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2003 at 11:16PM

i know that any manual tranny that will hook up to the 460 will work, but what about the hard stuff- the clutch pedal and linkage? i have never seen a midsize or full size Ford product from the 70's with a 4 speed, and i don't know what other cars are interchangable. local boneyard told me to look for a Torino, but those are fairly rare in boneyards 'round these parts. actually, what i want is a T56 six speed tranny, but that's off in the future.

i parted out a 55,000 mile 76 Lincoln Mark IV, and took the whole suspension and rear end out of that. it had the big 12" 4 wheels discs and the correct 460 engine mounts, so that's all taken care of. it also netted me a nice tight locking differential to use with the 3.23 "pumpkin" i've had laying around for a number of years. can't wait til spring when all this stuff gets on the car and i can cruise the beast again.

also, who makes headers to fit this car with a 460? i can't find it listed in any catalogs. ithought Hooker had them, but i read the listing wrong. they have them for a 70 or so Torino, which is a different chassis, correct?

Edited by novaderrik
1978 LTD II "S" complete with red over white "Starsky and Hutch" factoy paint. 460/C6 where 351W/C4 used to be
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2003 at 11:27PM

"what years and models of suspension parts interchange?"

Physically, 73-79 will fit, but you have the newwer wheel bearing style, so I'd recommend 77-79 only. The 77-79 Cougar XR-7's and police LTD-II's have larger control arms and rotors (the 12 inch rotor). That may be worth upgrading to. Additionally, shocks from a 92 Crown Vic will fit the 73-79 mid-size family (suspensions are similar, but no you can't stick Crown Vic stuff on your car) - this would allow a heavier duty shock for a tighter suspension. See a recent issue of Car Craft magazine for info on shocks and shock choices. BTW, the 77-79 series are prime candidates to upgrade a 73 suspension from - small changes, but the best available.

"parts needed to convert over to a manual tranny of some sort?"

A manual transmission that will bolt up behind whatever engine you have that came out of a mid or full-size car of similar vintage (not sure exactly which ones would work, but most should) - and then get a shift kit like B&M or something that has all the linkage. Center Consoles were made for 72-79 mid-size - one of those would make a nice housing for your new shifter instead of your column shift setup.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote novaderrik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2003 at 2:48PM
tailpipes and exhaust aren't a problem- it's the fact that Hooker is the ONLY company i can find that makes 460 headers for this application, and they are like $450 UNCOATED. i can get exhaust made pretty easily- 3" to the X-pipe, 2.5 after that with Dynomax Hemi Super turbo mufflers with tailpipes that turn down  behind the bumper  and are invisible outside the car. should be quiet like stock, yet flow enormous amounts of air. kind of a stealth bomber-type approach to things.
ponyman89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ponyman89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2003 at 8:56AM
as for exhaust I have a 79 tbird same frame I used a set of 84 -89? ish crown vic tailpipes they are the correct bends but mine are only 2 inch pipes but dual exhaust just the same
1979 thunderbird 302,c4
1974 ranchero 400,c6

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote novaderrik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2003 at 1:21PM

actually, i socred a complete 58,000 mile 76 Lincoln Mark IV with 4 wheel HD disc brakes , posi rear (traction lok, i guess. i am, after all, a GM guy), and a good 460/C6 combo. traded a car i pad $400 even up for it- not abad deal at all.

all those goodies are going into the car over the winter- with a few upgrades, of course (cam, intake, carb, shift kit, etc..). if only i could just find affordable headers for a big block in this chassis..

77LTDII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77LTDII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2003 at 6:18AM

Ive owned 3 LTD II's over the years. The first was a 77 Royal Blue 4door with a 351 and C4, Second was a Grey 77 4 door with a 351 and C6, and now my current is a yellow 2 door with a 351 and FMX.

Parts from 70's Ford Cars where alot alike, pretty much any of them will work with your car, however, the LTD II, being the oddball that it is responds best to parts from the Fullsize LTD, Gran Torino, OR other LTD II's.

later,

Dustin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote novaderrik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2003 at 4:06PM

hey, all. not much of a Ford guy, but have a 78 LTD II that I love and want to upgrade a few things on. what I need to know is what years and models of suspension parts interchange? how about interior parts? I know T-birds are similar, as are Torinos, but how similar are they? I already got the 460 in there using a set of mounts for a 74 T-bird- which I know is different, but they worked with a little bit of welding. no one had the Torino mounts available, but showed them on the computer. 

how about the exhaust system-could i get dual exhaust for an early 70's Torino with a 460?

what cars would net me the parts needed to convert over to a manual tranny of some sort? automatics just aren't my style, you know?

I know this is a lot of questions, but this thing is kind of my winter project, and I would like to gather some info ASAP. there is a really big junkyard about 4 mile from me that's full of Ford cars from this era, but i know not what's the same, and they really aren't too sure, either, as they mostly do late model stuff lately.

thanks in advance for any help anyone here can provide.

Post Reply Post Reply