The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

exhaust welding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: exhaust welding
    Posted: 09-April-2012 at 2:19AM
I order a new exhaust and I should weld it in about a month. I don't have a bottle yet, and I was wondering if using flux cored for the exhaust is fine, or should I go with a bottle.

I will practice first, but I want the beads to look nice.

Which way would you go? I can either weld inside the garage or on the driveway
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 2:43AM
I flux core welded mine, but I did not care one bit how the beads looked, and flux core was cheap.

It WILL grind, just takes effort. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 2:55AM
I got a similar system from summit, $220 for pipes and muffler all the way to the rear.

I read that you need to rent bottle, otherwise nobody wants to refill them. I will weld the exhaust first, and then patch the floor pan, I think flux might be to hot for that.
Some people sems to by tiny bottles on ebay for around $20, do you think it's worth it?

I got a budget of $150
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 3:02AM
Weird, I have no trouble filling my bottle. 

FWIW, I used flux on my car all over.. bottom of door, corner of trunk, hood IMO the metal is thick enough that there really wasn't THAT much warping. I went into it knowing I'd need filler anyway, lol.

IMO, just use the flux, grind any welds that bother you, paint it with VHT exhaust paint, and forget about it.

Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 3:25AM
it's really tempting, no need to carry a bottle around, fill it up when empty. A wire cost only $12 at home depot too
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 3:59AM
Did you BUY your welder yet? My Lincoln can do both fluxcore and MIG wire.
Paul
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 4:10AM
could we get this thread moved to the welding thread??
maybe on the first post make the question bold like a title flux core vs mig welding w/shieling gas?

I would be good to keep all the welding stuff in one thread for others to read
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 4:20AM
Welding exhaust is different then welding body panels, IMO.. 

Exhaust, you could set it to full blast and do it blindfolded, if you you don't care about the looks of the weld. grind and repeat as needed, lol. Not much finesse needed with slip fit pipes.
Paul
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 4:24AM
I got a welder, I bought an Eastwood 135.
It can use either MIG or Flux. I have a wire for mig, but I can get flux wire for cheap at HD

I'd like to weld the pipe nicely, if I go flux and it's not really nice, I guess I can grind down the weld to make it smooth, as the tubing is a fit in style anyway
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 4:32AM
your not gonna get a perfect bead with either only TIG welding will do that so as not to have to grind

Question, for flux core welding I thought I saw someone mention they reverse polarity with not welding with gas?? does it say anything in your manual ilyes or is there a switch for flux core or gas

I would think it's the same but i'm not much up on flux core welding as I like shielding gas but that's me
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 4:38AM
Not Iyles, but I had to flip the leads around in the welder for flux. Welder has a nice diagram and it takes 10 minutes. 
Paul
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 5:16AM
thanks Paul,I thought I read someone say that you had to reverse it for flux.
maybe that is why it seems to weld different then with shielding gas and why I don't care for it as I do a much better job with MIG welding then flux core.

Also on owning vs. renting a bottle I guess that might depend on the company and the state you live as I had bottles from different places and exchanged them for refill bottle down in Florida.
the bottles have to be X-Rayed every soo many years but the bottles are usually stamped.

once I use the bottle I have from Florida I will take it for a refill cause I own the bottle and don't like paying rent
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 7:48AM
There are a positive and negative outlet in the welder. You jet have to switch wires to go from mig to flux or reverse. I'm gonna check tonight how much it cost for a bottle. It will be necessary for Tue floor pan and body panel. I might still do only flux for the exhaust
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 8:21AM
I have a friend who has a flux core and he has used both and prefers flux so it is personal preference but certainly flux is the cheaper way to go as you don't have to pay for the gas or rent or buy a bottle

I would try out the flux ilyes you might like it the way it is and every welder varies on how good it welds,also it depends on yourwelding abilities cause you have to ge use to the thickness of the metal and what voltage and wire speed to set it at to weld good no matter if its gas or flux.

i know alot use the flux on sheet metal,so for now if I were you I would practice with Flux core and see if you even need the shielding gas
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 9:02AM
With the limited welding I have done on actual sheet metal(holes in floor pans) I like to use the solid wire with sheilding gas, alot cleaner welds. For any other welding needs I use flux core, it produces a bit of splatter but it is a alot cheaper to weld with. I have welded up everything from 16/18ga exhaust tubing to 3/8 steel plate(double pass) with my Hobart 140 using the flux core.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 9:38AM
I prefer the shielding gas for everything but I figured it really isn't going to matter much for ilyes as he is a beginner and he is not gonna get really pretty welds either way till he learns how to wire feed weld so it would be cheaper for him to just stick with flux core for awhile
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 10:16AM
I guess i'll try flux cored first, I just need to get a thicker wire, HD carries lincoln brand so it can only be a good thing. One thing tho, how do you explain the difference in prices, wires goes from $11 to $75???
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 11:14AM
size of the spool and diameter of the wire.
Paul
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 11:51AM
heck I was getting the big spools of .035  welding wir for gas from the welding supply for $35
$75 would be highway robbery

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 09-April-2012 at 11:52AM
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 12:48PM
or highway length LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply