The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Butt weld kit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butt weld kit
    Posted: 11-April-2012 at 5:44AM
this is a must if you want to butt weld on your replacement partial quarter skin such as the Tabco quarters or is you want to butt weld in a patch for a flush repair and not have the overlap

Kit come with 4 clamps and Magnetic copper backing plates to put behind the seam when welding which helps keep the MIG wire from going through the gap and also absorbs the heat to reduce warping.

Watch the video in the link

extra butt weld clamps  needed for long panels

or if you have a Harbor Freight Store near you you can buy an 
8 pack for less the $10 but not sold online,in stores only

8 Piece Butt Welding Clamps

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2012 at 5:52AM
when I get the Tabco quarter for my 72 GTS I plan on butt welding the seam of the existing quarter and the Tabco quarter skin and will get this kit just to have the magnetic copper backing plates
i have a HF store not far away and can get addition butt weld clamps chap but they work great as I have used the clamps on a door skin on a 52 Cadillac as I replaced a portion of it cause it was wrinkled bad from a wreck and I made a section of the skin from some 18 gauge sheet metal and
butt welded t at the top and one side.
 Post Reply Post Reply