The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72-76 Torino Ranchero Side Window

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72-76 Torino Ranchero Side Window
    Posted: 18-April-2012 at 2:45PM
Hey guys,

I'm posting on behalf of my newbie friend Born_Again_Torinos:.....

Hi guys, this is my first question to the group and I hope someone knows the answer.

Here is the passenger window on my 76 Gran Torino. It fits perfectly all around except at the top rear (along the quarter window seal). I fiddled with the adjustments and it only gets worse if I mess with it. That edge should go straight up. I figure it's out of another ford or something (don't think it's a Ranchero window??). Does anybody have any ideas as to what is going on?

Thanks,

Steve

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2012 at 2:02AM
If it fits correctly everywhere except the rear, I would guess that it is the incorrect window. No amount of adjusting is going to lengthen the top edge. It is not a Ranchero window glass, as they have a pronounced "Triangular" shape. The adhesive along the rear edge - did you apply that? If not, it looks like something was attached to the window - trim strip?
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Born_Again_Torinos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Born_Again_Torinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2012 at 4:11AM
The adhesive is from the tape I had on it to keep rain from going in. It doesn't look like the window was replaced, it's possible, it just doesn't look like it. The rivets that hold the plastic stops look original. That is why I was hoping it was an adjustment. The door is original also. I had thought that maybe the whole door was replaced but it has not.

I hope someone can help me with this mystery.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2012 at 4:22AM
well if it fit's correctly at the front edge then maybe it is just a faulty cut glass.Either way I think your solution is to get another glass from a formal roof door.
There are some guys on ebay selling Gran Torino parts that are in Oregon and maybe they have
the glass.It would be better to find one closer then having one shipped from the eastcoast.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Born_Again_Torinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2012 at 7:31AM
I have some extra doors with glass. I was trying to avoid changing the glass. I was hoping it is the correct glass and maybe somehow It can be adjusted. It just doesn't seem to be the case.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2012 at 7:42AM
changing glass isn't that hard,heck you build these things,what is so difficult of swapping glass?
73Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2012 at 8:36AM
Just my thought, but the window in the door seems to be the correct one. The small other window is the one that seems out of alignment. Have you looked to see if you can adjust the top of the small side window forward?
1973 base model Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2012 at 8:52AM
John,

If you were to extend the door gap vertically, the quarter glass APPEARS to be parallel to that line. It's hard to tell from this angle. I'll ask Steve for another shot straight on. I've asked him if he has compared the glass side to side and he says everything matches except the passenger side door glass, so I'm kind leaning towards the glass being changed out at some point and the wrong piece installed from a similar Ford model.

Gonna dig out my Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975 & 1976-1999 editions and see if I can deduce the model it's from..... Geek I love solving puzzles!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 19-April-2012 at 8:52AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Born_Again_Torinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2012 at 9:56AM
Yeah, I've built a lot of these but never had to change the glass. TV2M8O Joe says it's a bear to get the glass out with the stops riveted to the glass, does anybody else have experience taking the glass out?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2012 at 10:18AM
it's not that difficult,you have to remove the adjustable stops on the doors it also helps to remove the window felt on the outside of the door to give you more room to fish the glass out.
the round plastic bumpers riveted t the glass stay on and there are indents in the top of the door where you can tilt the glass and they will clear.
you can't simply just unhook the glass from the window regulator and pull it up it has to be tilted on an angle and fish it out so the bumpers clear but it can be done
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2012 at 10:20AM
I just took the glass out of the '72 Sportroof I was parting. Not a big deal - just take out the bolts, hold the glass steady and manuever the glass out through the top. Be sure to remove the upper window glides first, as they prohibit it from coming out. Didn't fool with the rivets and left the plastic parts attached to the glass. Will take some pics tonight if you want.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2012 at 12:26PM
I must admit when I was converting mine to power windows, I called the guy I bought my system from to ask how to get the glass out with the white plastic stops in place and he said since he was parting the car out and going to scrap what was left, he just sprung the window openings wide enough to get the glass assemblies out.
That wasn't an option for me and I was in a hurry to get them changed over on the Saturday after the system arrived, so I followed the Shop Manual instructions and just removed the rivets then used a nylock nut on the 1/4-20 bolt to replace the rivet to keep the stop in place. Should have just taken my time, posted the question on the forum and done it correctly....

MY BAD! Ouch

Steve, looks like the side glass may have come from a T'bird.....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Born_Again_Torinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2012 at 12:35PM
That sounds easy enough guys. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it works. I'm sure it will be fine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Born_Again_Torinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2012 at 6:37PM
I pulled the window out of one of my extra doors. It wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done. I took out all the stops, undid the vertical slide bar and detached it from the plate riveted to the window It didn't want to come out because of the prongs on the plate on the window so I bent them a bit and got it out. I hope I can reverse the process and get the new window in my old door.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2012 at 10:36PM
Glad to hear you got it out OK buddy. Good luck with the reinstall!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Born_Again_Torinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2012 at 2:34PM
Well, I got the new Torino window installed. It was a bear. I noticed that the plate that holds the glass had the rivets removed and bolts in it's place. So, that was my clue that the window was replaced. I think Joe was right and it had a broken window and they couldn't find a Torino window so used the T-bird window. So the old window came out great because I just unbolded it.

I couldn't get the replacement Torino window in the slot with the plate attached no matter what I did. I ground off the aluminum rivets, removed the plate and got the window in the door and bolted on the plate to the glass.

Adjustment was a bear and I finally got it lined up and fits well but I have to push the door closed from the top of the window to get it in the rubber groove perfect. If I just close the door, the rubber pushes out the top of the window. The photo makes it look like the window doesn't go all the way to the rubber in the front but I assure you it does, that is a reflection of the drip rail.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2012 at 3:58PM
you might need to adjust the window stop down a hair so the glass doesn't push into the gasket as much but still seals.I should be able to close normal if you get it adjusted correctly

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Born_Again_Torinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2012 at 6:14PM
Its the weirdest thing. I have the door panel off and roll the window down half way and get inside and close the door. Then roll up the window and it goes up fine until almost at the top then the window moves outward right before it reaches the top. I can't for the life of me find an adjustment to stop it from going outward in the end.

When I have the door open and close the door by pushing at the top of the window, it closes like a dream. If I just close the door, the rubber seems to push the top of the window out.

I had another Torino that did the same thing and it had never had the glass replaced.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2012 at 2:59AM
glass is not adjusted correctly.It could be an 1/8th - 1/16th off and cause it to do that or maybe
the adjuster that the glass rides against is out of adjustment,that is the one that keeps the glass from rattling  not the vertical stop.It's suppose to have some felt on the end that pushes up against the glass and slides in and out towards the door skin and the door panel,maybe it hits that when it fully closes and pushes the glass out.

either that or like I said your vertical stop needs to be lowered just a bit and the roof channel seal is pitching it out when it hits the seal.Also check the glass angle I know on the rear 72-73 quarter glass that are functional there is an adjustment for the pitch of the glass and can angle the glass in and out with it.It is on the regulator where it attaches to the door shell and angles the whole regulator,but first check the vertical adjustment and see if that helps
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2012 at 5:19AM
I might be wrong but it looks like your door gap is too large at the rear which would put the glass too far ahead. It looks to me like the door needs to move back toward the quarter panel a bit.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2012 at 8:06AM
i don't know about that as the older cars had wider gaps then today's cars but couldn't say without seeing the fender gap,but even so I thing you can move the glass front to rear also so not sure if that is the problem.
in any case I still think it needs some minor adjustments
 Post Reply Post Reply