The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 41>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2015 at 1:04PM
Yep..... interior quarter panel trim brackets.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2015 at 12:44PM
yeah, i want to see it rollout too! hey joe what are these:
i don't have them on my car, or did you make something "custom" just to get back at me LOL

oh wait, are those the interior quarter panel bracket things?? yeah i have those, they look different as i never removed mineConfused

Edited by californiajohnny - 20-June-2015 at 12:47PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2015 at 12:12PM
**CLICK ON PICS TO ENLARGE AND CLICK AGAIN TO SUPERSIZE**

Another somewhat productive day.... suspension components laid out awaiting bushing cups from platers...

applied new rubber to the motor mounts...

steering box, crossmember brake line and front bumper supports mounted back on car...

air cleaner components blasted...

motor mounts, oil coolers, vacuum canisters, fender supports, license plate brackets, radiator supports and front brake ducts laid out awaiting assembly and battery tray, horns, miscellaneous brackets and headlight buckets painted...

battery tray, horns, miscellaneous brackets and headlight buckets painted...

and new bumpers wrapped up for safe keeping until time for install.

Hopefully the bushing cups will be done this week so next weekend I can press in the polyurethane bushings and the get them pressed into the various control arms so I can get the rearend hung and the Torino pulled out of the blast booth.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 20-June-2015 at 12:18PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2015 at 10:49AM
"Rascal Drags!!!" Thumbs Up
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2015 at 3:17PM
Shocked we'll both be driving "hoveround power chairs" before you get that car doneShockedLOLLOLLOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2015 at 11:33AM
LOL, not as much as I do Johnny!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2015 at 9:41AM
Clap good job joe, now i want to see this stuff back on the car Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2015 at 8:37AM

Well a lot of little stuff in the works this week.... firstly, dropped off a bunch of parts at the platers to get all prettied up...

and also finished restoring the hood bumpers.

Got a lot of the smaller ancillary items painted Saturday. The front bumper mounts...

radiator supports...

steering box, oil cooler, battery tray...

power steering cooler...

licence plate brackets...

lower fender braces, motor mounts, vacuum canisters and battery mount strap.

Started blasting the air cleaner base but the inside of the air clearner body must be coated with some kind of super stuff material because I could not get the material to cut loose using NEW MEDIUM and working for 15 minutes with this to show for my efforts...

I also got the suspension arms cleaned, staged and covered awaiting the arrival of the bushing cups back from the platers so I can finish pushing the new polyurethane bushings and sleeves into the cups get them pressed into the control arms and reassembled on the car.

REASSEMBLY.... WHA??????

Edited by TV 2M8O - 14-June-2015 at 8:41AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2015 at 12:44PM
Spoke with a Lares rep this afternoon and '72-'75 all take the 202 coupler assembly and '76 was different and needs the 203 assembly. Now to call Advance and see about swapping for the right one!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2015 at 7:25AM
AHHHH, gotcha!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2015 at 6:56AM
Joe, that is what I am saying... Use your STOCK coupler and get the new rag joint from the local parts store. They come in 2 sizes and are on the shelf in the HELP section.

I did this on Lola when I first got her as the rag joint was no longer there crumbled to pieces like yours

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 11:56PM
Carl,

The problem isn't with the shaft not fitting the box input shaft, it's that the 202 coupler (rag joint) isn't a perfectly matched replacement for my original...

which literally fell to pieces upon disassembly!

Think I'll contact Lares today and see how the 203 coupler differs from the 202 and what they suggest.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 1:48PM
i remember seeing something on here a while back about this kind of thing with the rag joint, but what the thread was i don't remember!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 1:30PM
My stock shaft slid right on and worked fine on the Lares 841 box. no need to swap the coupler.

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 12:50PM
OK, don't know if I missed something in the other threads concerning the Lares quick ratio steering box swap, but everything I read kept saying to use the Lares 202 coupler. Well when I went to try and reassemble my steering shaft using the 202 rag joint, I find the stud spacing on my shaft doesn't match up with the rag joint bosses.... mine measures 2 1/4" center to center (c/c) and the studs measure 2 7/16" c/c. Plus one boss is 3/8" dia and the other is 5/16" dia (forgot to measure the holes in the "dogbone")...

The deadman bracket hole spacing matches perfectly but I'll have to open up the holes in the rubber if this is the correct coupler....

Here is the "new" steering shaft laid out next to an original assembly....

With some tweaking I can make it work, but checking the Lares catalog is states the '76 Torino uses the 203 Coupler. HOW DID OTHER MAKE THIS COUPLER FIT or were they working on earlier Torinos?

Looking forward to your comments before contacting Lares......

Edited by TV 2M8O - 10-June-2015 at 11:56PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Paul100ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul100ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2015 at 12:05PM
I have parts envy....Thumbs Up
Nothing stops this train.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2015 at 9:39AM

With the installation of the swar bar bracket carriage bolts the rearend was complete and ready for reinstallation (axles and brake components will be installed once rearend is back in place under the car)...

so I wrapped it in bubble wrap to protect the finish until it's hung...

I pressed the three lower control arm bushings together awaiting the return of the fourth from the platers as a reference of how the other 10 bushing cups should be finished...

I also have the spindles painted and ready for reassembly...

as well as the front upper control arm pivot shaft.

Since the day was still young, I decided to start blasting some ancillary items that will be needed at some point in the future so I blasted the rubber hood bumpers...

the front bumper sight shield supports and the air cleaner lid, snorkle and silencer to get ready for paint...

Hope the bushing cups are ready at the platers this week so I can assemble the rear control arm and get the rearend back in place under the car!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 07-June-2015 at 9:42AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2015 at 11:59AM
 Clap awesome joe! you stated "last weekend" well most people on memorial day BBQ steaks/burgers/hot dogs...but you are a true gear head!!! grilling  bushings on the BBQ Thumbs Up

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2015 at 11:05AM

After taking last weekend off to got to the Spring 2015 Ohio Swap Meet & Car Show in Springfield, OH to pick up my bumpers from BumperBoyz, I had a busy & productive week.

On Monday, I put all my bushings on the barbie to burn out the rubber...

BUSHINGS HOT OFF THE GRILL (not really) and the rubber burnt out nicely. Just tapped them on the grill grate and all the rubber ash just fell out...

Went over on Tuesday to blast them clean but there was no power at the dealership, so I just put together the rear sway bar brackets and laid everything out for a photo op.... ALL IN THE DARK

Snuck back over to the shop Thursday afternoon and blasted the cups....

then took them home and polished them with the wire wheel on my bench grinder.....

On Saturday, all control arms are now painted and awaiting bushing installation...

bushing cups, polyurethane bushings and bushing sleeves laid out for verification...

passenger side rear wheelhouse rubberized undercoated...

rear axle bumpers and rear sway bars links INSTALLED (reversed the assembly process of the sway bar brackets for easier hardware access)....

broke down the steering shaft link for replacement of the rag joint....

and blasted the jack and spare tire J bolt so they can be polished prior to being dropped off at the platers with the bushing cups...

Edited by TV 2M8O - 01-June-2015 at 8:09AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2015 at 11:41AM

Control arm and rear axle bumpers, transmission mount and rear sway bar hanger bracket, backing plate and hardware cleaned, rubberized and painted and ready for assembly!

Will be heading to the Cars & Parts Swap Meet this weekend in Springfield, Ohio to not only pick up my new bumpers from BumperBoyz, but to see what other goodies I might be able to score!!

Have a Safe and Happy Memorial Day and a great big THANKS to all who have served and to those that gave all!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 19-May-2015 at 11:43AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2015 at 8:22AM
lookin' good joe! Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2015 at 6:39AM
nice Joe!!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2015 at 6:18AM

Another productive Saturday but not a lot of reassembly.... welded, dressed the welds, removed the bushings, blasted and painted the front lower control arms...

corrected the rear wheel cylinder locations (HAD THEM ON THE WRONG SIDES) and mounted the hard lines (I see a couple places I still need to adjust the rounting) and started rehanging the bracketry before I had a hardware issue that shut me down...

and laid out the remaining finished control arms to await bushing installation.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 17-May-2015 at 6:20AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2015 at 3:23AM
Backing plates are upside-down.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2015 at 3:57PM
Joe, Aren't you suppose to leave the bushing cups in the upper arms?
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2015 at 3:51PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

As I said, Galloping Senility...
Johnny ,buddy, you're 50 now. This is what you have to look forward to...

Confused tell me about it! CRS
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
IndyLTD I I View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndyLTD I I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2015 at 2:47PM
I cant find the mistake either. Pretty sure it's not the retainer/backing plate cause mine went together like this picture:

Lee Virden
1978 LTD II S
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2015 at 2:13PM
last 3 axles I took apart are all 8.8 fords, no retainer, so that would probably be why I don't remember the retainer inside the backer...
As I said, Galloping Senility...
Johnny ,buddy, you're 50 now. This is what you have to look forward to...
Randy
1979 T-Bird
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2015 at 2:09PM
i thought some fords were behind them too, but mine weren't??? and it was that way and fits and works fine! IDK? i think joe's just screwing with us! Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2015 at 2:06PM
Thought retainers were supposed to be behind brake backers.
Galloping senility I guess..
Randy
1979 T-Bird
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 41>