The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 41>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2015 at 2:46PM
looks good joe, hell your suspension will be nicer than mine! and the jack... you're not ever going to use it are you???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2015 at 3:04PM
Thanks Johnny! Embarrassed

Only time the jack will get used if I have a flat on the highway or somethin.....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2015 at 4:19PM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

Thanks Johnny! Embarrassed

Only time the jack will get used if I have a flat on the highway or somethin.....

NEVER use that jack! lol
put a small bottle or floor jack in the trunk in a tool box with other tools and carry it with you.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2015 at 4:41PM
^^^ X 2!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2015 at 2:31AM
^^^ X3 ^^^
Bumper jack was good for nothing but bent bumpers,
OR the bumper core would be rotted, and the bumper would come off while you were changing the tire Ouch.
Good times Thumbs Down!

Edited by Big Bird - 28-June-2015 at 2:33AM
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2015 at 5:36AM
**CLICK ON PICS TO ENLARGE AND CLICK AGAIN TO SUPERSIZE**

Haven't posted any Torino progress pics for a couple weeks but I have been tinkering a bit in the garage at home on some of the smaller items... got the brake proportioning valve reattached to the mounting bracket...

cleaned and conditioned the rubber radiator isolators...

and mounted the ones in the upper radiator support brackets...

clear coated the hood latch assembly (not sure yet if I'm crazy about the natural patina??)...

cleaned the floor shifter neutral start safety switch and gear indicator (need a new pointer and blue filter)...

Saturday at the dealership (after two weeks away!) I got the bushings pressed into the front and rear lower control arms...

clear coated the jack post...

and painted the exhaust hangers.

Sadly I junked one of the upper rear control arm bushings and cups so that will prevent the rear end getting hung until I get the replacements. ##@$$!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 19-July-2015 at 5:39AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2015 at 11:03AM
Clap joe here's the one i got for my shifter:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=7A110+01
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2015 at 11:38AM
John,

The pointer is the easy part... it's the blue lens that's proving to be a bit elusive!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2015 at 11:54AM
i don't recall if mine had a lens over the bulb? i put a red LED bulb in mine to go with all the other red LED's in the dash, etc. Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2015 at 5:15AM
Joe,

Did you have the proportioning valve rebuilt? If so, I would like to hear about your experience with it.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2015 at 5:29AM

Scott,

No, I simply blasted it, misted it with some VHT gold and the used Eastwood Diamond Clear for painted surfaces. I have a NOS switch to install once it's back on the frame and ready to wire.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2015 at 6:48AM

Some Tomato progress this weekend..... proportioning valve and driver side brake line installed...

front control arm mounting slots elongated on both side for additional chamber adjustment with raised rear end stance...

and replacement upper control arm bushing cup rubber burnt out...

and cup blasted along with the replacement core support shim and cone nut the platers misplaced. Brought them home to polish before dropping back off at the platers as well as the front upper control arms, pivot shafts and bushings to get ready to drop off at the machine shop to have them reassembled on Monday.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 26-July-2015 at 6:51AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2015 at 7:07AM
 Clap progress!! so you found the needed core support shim?  (i found my extra 2 yesterday, if you need any more later) so we can expect to see some suspension back on the car soon? Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2015 at 10:26AM
John, I sure as hell hope so! My deadline is getting closer all the time and I'm beginning to doubt whether I'm gonna be ready for Ford Carlisle next June..... Disapprove

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2015 at 10:52AM

For those who think I took last weekend off (I forgot my camera), here's what I got accomplished... I got the bushings pressed into all the rear control arms and the front lower control arms...

painted the jack mechanism, cleared the unpainted sections of the exhaust hangers (need to reshoot the black on the tailpipe hangers) assembled the steering shaft coupler/rag joint...

(need to locate a NOS or mint bumper lift rubber pad to replace mine that tore in two during disassembly... any one??)

and blasted the power brake booster and master cylinder assembly.

This weekend, I got the passenger side upper control arm, lower control arm and strut rod remounted...

as well as hanging all 4 of the rear control arms...

attached the lifting beam to the jack...

and blasted the remaining bushing cup to get polished before taking it to the platers to get yellow zinc chromated.

Now to recruit some additional able bodies to get the rearend moved into position and rehung under the car!!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 08-August-2015 at 10:58AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Paul100ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul100ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2015 at 3:20AM
You guys are impressive,,,,,you wouldn't want to see under my 75...LOL
Nothing stops this train.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2015 at 4:34AM

Fairly productive day.... got the prototype of the alternator splash shield in the mail this week so I test fit it.... PERFECT!

I also got both lower control arms and strut rods mounted...

blasted, masked and painted a few parts, rounded up all my air cleaners to see exactly what I had and my buddy Jim helped me get the rear end off the bench and onto the jack lift beam...

I had it secured to the jack, rolled into position, ready to hang next weekend and set a couple jack stands under it for support... but sadly I didn't have them placed just right and the jack bled off and the stands rolled the rear end back and flipped it out of the jack lift arm, so next Saturday I'll need to get it repositioned so I can get the rear end remounted to the frame.

Fun, fun, fun..... until next time.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 16-August-2015 at 4:35AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2015 at 12:01PM
lookin' good joe! is that rear discs i see peeking through the bubblewrap? you were that close why didn't you slide in the 4 bolts and let it down on the stands?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2015 at 11:28PM
John, looking back, I wish I had just taken a few more minutes and got her slid together but I had an appointment I had to get to.. should have just been late! Confused
Nope, that's just the backing plates you see...........

Edited by TV 2M8O - 16-August-2015 at 11:29PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2015 at 2:43AM
ok, makes sense now
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2015 at 11:48AM

SUCCESSFUL DAY..... with help from my brutha from a different mutha, Jim Conley, we wrestled the rear end back into position under the car!!! Would have never gotten it by myself I don't believe.

I also got the other front upper control arm bushings and pivot shaft assembled...

the charcoal canister bracket reinstalled...

got the exhaust hangers ready to reinstall...

new rubber applied to the brake line hanger and cowl drain...

and seperated the master cylinder from the power brake booster.

I also brought some wire harnesses home to start cleaning and getting ready to recover with split plastic corregated wire loom... Glad she's back on the road to reassembly and can't wait to get her back in the paint shop!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 22-August-2015 at 11:51AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2015 at 12:09PM
 Clap how soon to the paint shop, do you think? are you putting the engine in later after it's painted or???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2015 at 3:05AM
John, I hoping about the first of December to get her back in the body shop. Plans are to get the rear end completely reassembled so I can lift the front of the car with my engine hoist and roll her out of the blast booth and back out into the shop area so I can reinstall the engine/transmission to use for weight to finish reassembling the front suspension..... will need the engine/tranny weight to get the front springs back into place.

Once out of the blast booth I can get the interior sheet metal cleaned and painted, and start getting the passenger compartment assembled up to a point before turning her back over to the guys at F3.

Baby steps, but she's slowly coming back together!!! Thumbs Up

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2015 at 3:52AM
ahh! is that a BB car? those springs are even stiffer, so yeah some iron up front may be necessary Wink
december seems like a reasonably obtainable goal Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2015 at 7:59AM
Another somewhat productive day..... got the rear shocks installed, the springs set in place and changed out the control arm hardware to the plated pieces to give it some contrast to all the blackness....

I also got the driver side front upper control arm mounted...

and masked off the axle bearings so I can paint the hubs and attaching plates...

Sorted a few parts, blasted a few parts and brought some pieces home to work on. Slowly coming together!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 30-August-2015 at 8:00AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2015 at 3:24PM
looks great joe, front soon???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2015 at 11:50PM
CJ,

The front suspension pieces arrived last week from NAPA and RockAuto, so once the ole girl is outta the blast booth and reset on the jack stands, work will commence on getting the 460 detailed and ready to rehang the C6 back onto and then get them reinstalled in the frame. I'll need the weight of the 460 to allow me to compress the CVPI front springs to get all the front suspension back into place.

Probably won't get her moved until late in the month due to a family get together this Labor Day weekend then going back to Springfield, OH the following weekend to swap out my back bumper with BumperBoyz.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2015 at 12:23AM
  Looks great! IMO, Having the engine/trans mated makes it much easier for installation(just make sure the cherry picker is a good one and up to the task!). Be VERY vigilant when looking and dealing with BumperBoyz, they have decent prices, but the chrome work isn't the best "out-there". I have a BumperBoyz rear bumper on my Ranchero, looks good on the chrome side(chrome is way thin and just starting to show copper), the backside has a bunch of hammer marks and it really didn't fit as well as the original I traded for it. Just go over the chrome very well, any spot that you can "live" with is a bargaining chip you can use to get a better deal. Good luck, keep up the good work and post pics if possible.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2015 at 1:01PM
Holiday weekend upon us and we'll be going out of town for it, so I took a vacation day today and reblasted all my control arm hardware as well as some other fasteners (fender, core support, front wheel houses, etc) to have plated to add a bit of color to all the blackness of the frame and under hood area. Hope I can get it all polished and ready to drop off at the platers the first of the week so I can (hopefully!!!) have it back for the weekend of the 19th.... my next playday session.

HERE'S WISHING EVERYONE A SAFE AND RELAXING, FUN FILLED LABOR DAY WEEKEND Beer

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2015 at 11:44PM

Well after a two week hiatus, I had a very productive day Saturday in spite of an equipment failure. I got the axles temporarily installed in the rear end, a couple wheels bolted on and the rear of the car set down on the ground....

Then I rolled my engine hoist into position to raise the front of the car off the jack stands so I could roll her out of the blast booth and the friggen seal was blown on the hydraulic cylinder. After a few choice words, I monkeyed around with it and discovered if I raised up the lift arm and pumped the handle, the pressure would come up and hold the arm in position, so then the wheels began to spin for a viable solution.... RATCHET STRAPS! I got three out of my tool box, hung them from the lift chain and placed one around each front bumper bracket and the third around the center of the front crossmember and VIOLA.... the frame is clear from the jack stands!

Then I set about clearing and cleaning the area where I will begin to reassemble the Tomato. Once that was finished, I began pulling the Torino out of the blast booth and out onto the shop floor. Was a bit of a challenge to get the car to cut tightly due to the posi rear end, so I parked her and set a couple jack stands under the front frame in the event the hoist cylinder bled off while I was gone. Don't want to have to pick up the nose off the floor if I don't have to!

I also checked the rear tire clearance and with the 14" tire, looks like the rear end might be just about right when I get the larger 15" meats installed...

I'll have to set my ole LR60-15 Goodyear beside the smaller tire for a better idea. I think too with the nose so high in the air there may be a bit of rear suspension compression going on as well.

While I haven't been over to the dealership for two weeks, I have been doing a little bit at home... I have some hardware and a few parts blasted, polished and ready to drop off at the platers....

I hope they can turn them around pretty quickly to help keep my momentum going!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 20-September-2015 at 11:55PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 41>