The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 42>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2016 at 11:30AM
Don't beat yourself up to bad about that oil slinger. Been there done that on my 460 too! And mine was already in the car and I had the engine running! Noticed it on the workbench when the car was running :( .  You are right you will have a nice thick coat of ford blue on that beast before it is all over. 
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2016 at 12:47PM
yeah all those thick coats of paint on there, you're going to need a 5 core radiator just to keep it cool LOL and cut holes all along the frame not just the bumper to account for the added weightLOL
 keep up the good work Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 3:10AM
**CLICK ON PICS TO ENLARGE AND CLICK AGAIN TO SUPERSIZE**

A bit more progress today.... located my hard heater lines and pulled the retaining clip off so I could paint them

along with the engine oil dip stick, painted the harmonic balancer...

and blasted and cleared the aluminum section of the engine fan clutch.

I installed the engine mounts onto the block and then set about dry fitting the MT valve covers still trying to figure out how to spread them to fit correctly), Holley carb and spacer, oil filter and the Crites headers.

Looking pretty good in my book!! Next weekend I'll install the harmonic balancer and fuel pump, pop off the headers, carb and valve covers and set this baby between the frame rail for good!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 07-August-2016 at 3:12AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 5:36AM
Clap gettin' there! hey joe how far off are the bolt holes on the valve covers from fitting? which holes and how many? i'll see if i can come up with some ideas for you Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Paul100ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul100ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 6:36AM
Thumbs Up
Nothing stops this train.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 7:15AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

Clap gettin' there! hey joe how far off are the bolt holes on the valve covers from fitting? which holes and how many? i'll see if i can come up with some ideas for you Wink

John,

The cover I have on the passenger side I was able to pop over the cover to get the lip to fit onto the head but the holes are maybe 1/4 hole or less off, but the cover on the driver side needs to expand about 3/16" (at vertical center line) just to get the cover lip over the head. Once I get the covers to fit easily onto the heads, I will then address the mounting holes.

A local machine shop that does a LOT of work for us says I need to be very careful in spreading the cover too fast because they are tempered. He has a turnbuckle he made to expand some of our aluminum castings that come in bowed/twisted/out of shape that he is going to bring me to see if it would work inside the cover to push it SLOWLY into position. His suggestion is to expand a bit then put it in the over for an hour or so set about 400 degrees, let cool naturally then expand a bit more and repeat until it arrives at the desired size.

I'm also going to ring up Holley Tech Support (now that they are producing the M/T covers again) for their suggestions on how to proceed.

WISH ME LUCK!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2016 at 10:59AM

Well today Mother Nature and contrary parts kicked my azz!!!! Nothing more frustrating that trying to roll around a 600lb (??) engine hanging from an engine hoist on an uneven wooden floor in 100+ degree temps...

and then being so hot and exhausted you can't think straight and you have the harmonic balancer 90% onto the crank only to realize you have it on backwards! Pull it back off and then it fights you going back on until finally surrendering and popping it back off to wait for a cooler day!

On a positive note, the engine is in between the frames rails for good (fingers crossed!!) and the fan clutch came out pretty nice....

a bit of yellow zinc chromate on the center section section and some black on the spring and rear mounting foot and she'll look like new!

My butt was draggin' and there were a couple cold ones in the fridge calling out my name so I called it a day before I passed out from heat stroke!!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 14-August-2016 at 11:00AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2016 at 11:20AM
that looks damn nice joe! try a couple of fans in there, i know it's not much help but moving air helps a little. BTW how the hell do put a harmonic balancer on backwards??? Shocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Paul100ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul100ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2016 at 4:05AM
nice......
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2016 at 11:08AM

Well after taking last weekend off to have some medical tests performed, I was back after it this weekend! Another scorcher upstairs but was able to make a bit of progress. Checked in all my goodies from Summit...

installed the fuel line onto the carb...

torqued the flywheel in place...

put a quart of transmission fluid into the torque converter...

repaired the threads in my crank snout and got the harmonic balancer installed correctly (amazing how easily things go together with the right tools!)....

then fought for two hours the transmission/jack/engine/floor before finally calling NO JOY and pulling the engine and transmission back out of the car and hooking them together on the floor.

I'll torque everything together next weekend and install the engine and transmission as an assembly. Hopefully won't be quite as big a battle as this weekend was!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 27-August-2016 at 11:11AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2016 at 12:25PM
it should be pretty easy with the front clip being off Thumbs Up
 i wish i was closer, i'd give you a hand, we could knock this stuff out in no time!Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Paul100ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul100ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2016 at 8:30PM
Clap
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2016 at 9:50AM

A bit of midweek progress.... trimmed up the header gaskets to match the Crites individual header flanges.

Hopefully with any luck, I'll get the engine and transmission married and dropped into the car this weekend and maybe even the headers installed so I can keep moving forward getting things installed for the FINAL time.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 31-August-2016 at 9:52AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2016 at 12:10PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2016 at 6:51AM

REAL PROGRESS! Thanks to my brutha from a diffunt mutha, Jim Conley, we were able to marry the engine and transmission together and then wrestle the engine hoist across the undulating wood flooring to get them set between the frame rails and secured!

One little snafu was we had to separate the passenger side engine mount and lift that side of the 460 to get the transmission cooler lines fitted, but everything is now in place! Was also able to get the headers reinstalled (and look how tightly they wrap around the steering box!!)....

so all that's left to do is install the driveshaft and the drivetrain is complete!

Next weekend I'll focus on getting the starter installed, all the various bracket, pulleys, hardware, etc blasted, painted and ready to reinstall as well as dragging out the engine compartment wiring harness to start cleaning it up, detailed and ready to rehang.

Getting really close and I can't wait to light this bad boy off and hear it rattle the rafters!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 04-September-2016 at 6:56AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2016 at 7:22AM
Clap this is an early sunday progress report for you!! you still got the rest of today and tomorrow WinkBig smile
looking good buddy, i can't wait!!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2016 at 12:19AM
Wow looks real good . I can only hope to get to that point some day . As my chinese  cookie said " Where there is a will , there is a way . That is the way I look at now , I have to have the will to do it.
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
Paul100ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul100ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2016 at 4:28PM
Thumbs Up
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2016 at 4:18AM

Not a very productive day Saturday.... sometimes I'm my own worse enemy! Started installing the transmission yoke u-joint and, not paying close enough attention to what I was doing, installed the wrong one in the yoke! FUK, couldn't get the blunt ended snap rings back out, so I turned my attention to other things until I figure out the solution to this dumb ass mistake!

I got the header bolts torqued to 20ft/lbs, then turned my attention to things I knew I was safe in doing.... I remove some of clips from the factory valve covers and got the areas dressed out and started removing some of the small dents from years of service. I'll use the OEM covers until I can get the M/T covers straightened out....

I also started painting the crank and water pump pulleys. Was another scorcher at the dealership, so I called it a day before I could screw up anything else!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 11-September-2016 at 4:19AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2016 at 9:41AM
Joe, I usually use a pair of dykes (wire cutters) to squeeze them together
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2016 at 9:54AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

Joe, I usually use a pair of dykes (wire cutters) to squeeze them together

John,

The snap ring is already in the groove and there is NOTHING to get hold of/get under to start prying the ring back OUT of the groove. I tried and then my buddy Jim tried (together we frigged with it for over an hour!) so I'm just gonna bite the bullet and sacrifice the u joint! Ouch

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2016 at 2:10PM
Try a pick or a jeweler's screwdriver
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2016 at 2:40PM
joe, is it this style? (that's the ones i squeeze with the end of the dykes)Spicer Drivetrain Products 5-7439X U-Joint Kit, 1310 Series Outside Snap Rings

or this type:
Team U-Joint with Snap Rings for Yamaha ATVs Part# 0201-9100

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2016 at 3:11PM
It's the blunt ended ones (like in the second pic)... We tried everything in our tool boxes and there was nothing that would catch the edge to allow us to pop it out!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 12-September-2016 at 5:29AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2016 at 3:35PM
that's what i was afraid you say...those can be a bitch! so you put in a snap ring without a cap in the yoke?
i've usually had to use two screw drivers, one to catch the angled lip on the end of the clip and have a small screwdriver about an 1/8" from the end at the ready to get it under the clip and the groove, then use another small driver to go in the direction of the groove then work it along the groove till you can get the clip started out of the hole (always keeping a small driver under the clip and groove in case the clip slips (and it will)
 or plan "B" sacrifice the clip!!! heat it with a torch and  bend it some to get under it and pull it out!!! then reuse one of your old clips to replace it! i've reused old u-joint clips lots of times due to one getting bent or suddenly became a "jesus clip"ConfusedAngryLOL

Edited by californiajohnny - 11-September-2016 at 3:46PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2016 at 11:57PM
I think John's right....use heat. The clip will soften up quickly and everything else is thick enough to not be damaged.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2016 at 11:17AM

Well it hurt my pride, but I broke out the cutoff wheel and cut the new u joint out of the transmission yoke and dressed away some of the casting marks...

painted the front side of the water pump and crank pulleys (will dry to a satin black finish)...

and dry fit the collector reducers. The driver side was perfect, but I discovered the passenger side collector was snug against the side of the transmission pan and no way to get the V-band and collector reducer installed. I'll contact Crites next week and see if they can make me a collector that breaks 20 degrees at the primary to collector transition to get it off the pan and running back parallel to the driveshaft.

I also beveled that backside of the AC idler pulley beauty plate and got it siliconed into place.

Will trim away the excess silicone after it sets and then get the rest of the pulleys and other brackets blasted and painted.

Next weekend I'm supposed to drop off 6 of my slot mags for repair and polishing so may not have anything to show for myself.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 17-September-2016 at 12:07PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2016 at 11:44AM
Joe,
 If you have access to a angle grinder with cut-off wheel(4 1/2") and a welder, you can make your own collectors that change direction. I did this on my exhaust system when I built it. I installed the collector extension and marked the side of the extension that needed to turn away from the trans/crossmember, using a cut-off wheel I cut the tubing almost all the way around except for about 1/4" on the OPPOSITE side of the tubing that I previously marked. I then bent the tubing closed (may have to tack weld it to hold it's shape) and checked fit. If more angle is needed just cut another slice out of the tubing where it meets. Doing it this way gives you all the control and an instant "go-no go" answer. Once everything is good to go weld it up and smooth with an 60-80 grit flap disc then use header paint for protection or have it aluminum coated locally. Hope this helps

BTW, VERY NICE WORK!!

Edited by aquartlow - 17-September-2016 at 11:47AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2016 at 11:51AM
Todd,

If these weren't slip fit collectors I might have tried this, but because they are, I'd be afraid of accidentally welding on a primary tube or deforming something to the extent the collector wouldn't come back off if necessary.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2016 at 12:00PM
yeah what todd said or make a mark about an inch forward of the band at the end of the collector and and cut the collector there about 10* angled and rotate the end 180* to get the desired angle and mark it and weld it back together! either method should work fine!! having those slip fit collectors should make it easier than having to remove the whole headers Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 42>