The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 41>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2016 at 1:35PM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

Todd,

If these weren't slip fit collectors I might have tried this, but because they are, I'd be afraid of accidentally welding on a primary tube or deforming something to the extent the collector wouldn't come back off if necessary.

I totally understand, wouldn't want to cut or weld on the header's collector, slip fit or not. I was referring to the collector extension, from the V-band clamp area  and "downstream". I probably should have been clearer in my description. It is removable and should be real easy to mod and make fit to what clearance is wanted and/or required. Once again, good luck and keep posting pics.

Edit" After looking over your pics again, I realized the passenger side header collector "is" what you need modified to miss trans case/pan or at least give additional clearance. My posting concentrated more on the driver's side.

Edited by aquartlow - 17-September-2016 at 1:39PM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2016 at 12:48PM
**CLICK ON PICS TO ENLARGE AND CLICK AGAIN TO SUPERSIZE**

I played a bit in the garage Sunday afternoon and got the front of the fan clutch shot and cleared....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 18-September-2016 at 12:50PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2016 at 11:44AM

Today I set about removing the driver side collector to see if it would work on the passenger side and vise-a-versa. Well the driver side collector fit onto the passenger side once rolled 180 degrees and got the collector off the transmission pan....

but the passenger side collector mounted on the driver side had the same problem as on the passenger side, the collector was right against the pan! I spoke with Kenny at Crites last week and he said whatever I needed to get collector correct he would be happy to oblige, so I guess I'll have him make me another driver side collector, rotate it 180 degrees and then install the tabs in the correct location to mount it on the passenger side and leave off the three hole collector flange. I'll also need to order a new V-band flange to weld to the collector once it arrives.

I then trimmed the silicone off the AC idler pulley...

siliconed the beauty plate onto the other idler pulley...

got the transmission yoke unmasked...

and set the crank and fan pulleys aside for install.

I also painted the various engine brackets for the AC, alternator and power steering before loading the Ford slot mags into the car to take to machine shop to have the old center cap hardware drilled out and the holes plug welded before having them polished up nice and purdy!

Didn't get as much accomplished as I would have liked, but I did make a little headway!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 24-September-2016 at 11:49AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Paul100ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul100ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2016 at 3:52AM
nice  Thumbs Up
Nothing stops this train.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2016 at 5:59AM

Saturday I did a lot of blasting and painting of hardware and brackets. I also got the beauty plate on the second idler pulley trimmed out...

the carb installed on the engine...

and the transmission hard line clip modified.

I also need to make a jumper link this week for the mini high torque starter so I can start handing components back on the engine next weekend.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 02-October-2016 at 6:05AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2016 at 10:46AM

Well more baby steps today... got the driver side header reassembled and torqued into place, removed all the brackets and pulleys from the paint booth and lined up for installation...

u-joints installed in the drivershaft, transmission hard line bracket installed onto the crossmember, engine fan sandblasted and first coated...

along with the valve covers.

Hope to get the starter installed and start rehanging components onto the engine next weekend and maybe the wiring harness as well so I can light this baby off for the first time real soon!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 08-October-2016 at 10:49AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2016 at 1:06PM

Well this week I got the Ford slot mags to Queen's Machine Shop in Wayne, WV to get the center cap screws drilled out and this morning I dropped off the 15x8.5 AR slot mags at Irwin Polishing in Jackson, OH before heading on over to the shop. Got the painted valve covers and the accelerator cable bracket on the engine...

and then set about working on the (original!) power steering pump.

Brutha Jim got the pulley off for me this week, so I was able to get the pump pulled apart...

and the case, bracket, pulley and hardware blasted.

Will get the rebuild kit on order from NPD so I'll have all the new seals and gaskets on hand once I have everything painted and ready to go back together.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 15-October-2016 at 1:31PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2016 at 1:21PM
looks good joe! i remember taking mine apart. well actually i may be taking the housing back off of mine as it seeps just a tiny bit ConfusedAngry

i was hoping we'd get to hear that beast Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2016 at 1:26PM
I'm looking forward to it as well!! LOL

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2016 at 1:42PM
and the penguin too!!!! LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2016 at 3:19AM

Just baby steps the past couple weekends....

Last weekend, I got crank pulley and accelerator cable installed on the engine...

driveshaft installed...

and painted the power steering pump case and some more hardware.

The new collector arrived from Crites.... looks like it should now easily clear the transmission, so I got the V-band installed so I could get it welded up.

Irwin Polishing got my back wheels polished up and they look GREAT!

https://www.facebook.com/irwinpolishing/videos/1178066658941798/

This week, I got the V-band welded to the passenger side collector and noticed it just looked funny...

and then it finally hit me.... the collector end was cut parallel to the primary tubes rather than perpendicular to the collector body! Oh well, nothing a pie cut thru the collector and a bit more welding won't fix!

My new 200A high output alternator and wiring kits... 

along with my new clutch fan arrived this week.

I finished breaking down the power steering pump...

and second coated the housing...

before calling it a day to go home and get ready for our 6th Wedding Anniversary Halloween party.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 30-October-2016 at 3:43AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2016 at 5:47AM
cool!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2016 at 8:43AM
thats awesome!!

and nice costumes!!   
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2016 at 7:09AM

More baby steps the past couple weekends... weekend before last, I got my back wheels picked up,

the floor shift installed along with the kick down lever,

the water pump pulley, clutch and fan mounted up

and got the power steering pump cleaned and the pump front cover blasted and painted.

This weekend, my brutha Jim Conley got the tires mounted...

and I got them hung on the car,

power steering pump rebuilt and reassembled. As you can see I used a bit bluer metallic on the power steering pump rather than the turquoiser metallic Ford used because I thought it would look better against the dark Ford blue on the engine.

I also started hanging the accessory brackets and components back on the engine and realized really quick that I should have left the fan off until last!!

I guess a little progress is much better than no progress!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 13-November-2016 at 7:29AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2016 at 7:38AM
Clap starting to look like a car again nice work joe!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
NorthElite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2016 at 7:51AM
Great idea to use metallic color. It gives hi-quality look and fits perfect with black bracketClap
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2016 at 9:15AM
Car Looks great! The wheels came out real nice. Keep up the good work man. Take care Dan
starsky460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote starsky460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2016 at 12:23AM
Joe,
this will be the car to see at Carlisle next year Cool

Carl
1976 Gran Torino Starsky & Hutch Limited Edition
FACTORY 460 c.u. engine
3:55 gears

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2016 at 8:42AM
agreed!
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2016 at 9:47AM

On vacation this past week and worked on the Tomato a bit since I didn't get to the previous weekend... got the belt on the alternator...

and mocked up the power steering pump and bracket (misplaced the spacer between the block and bracket).

Funny how closely the metallic blue I chose for the power steering pump almost matched the dark Ford blue (at least in the pictures!).

I also got the copper link made for the starter bendix...

starter mounted, wired and heat blanket installed...

valve covers installed, distributor set, E3 plugs installed and 9mm Ford Racing wires installed...

damn, the distributor has the wrong style cap to use the 9mm Ford Racing wires!!! Grrrrrrrr......... but got the correct style on order with RockAuto!

Got all the AC brackets and idler pulleys hung (the "missing" spacer turned out to be an ear on the AC compressor bracket)...

the power steering pump and pressure line installed...

and the original power steering return line cleaned and prepped for reinstallation.

I laid out the bare engine harness (as you can see in a few of the shots) and partially connected some of it to determine the different runs so new convoluted harness wrap can be put on.

Next weekend I'll pull out the front wheelhouses and the engine compartment harnesses to get them all prepped and ready to go for the next step in the front doghous

Edited by TV 2M8O - 29-November-2016 at 12:28AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2016 at 11:47AM
 yah joe Clap i searched for that cap for you, no luck by it's self Confused and i know i've seen them!! just like new 600 double pumper base plates ( i'm thinking of using that near new 600 double pumper on my car, that i've had for years) couldn't find any just 650 and bigger Confused WTF???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2016 at 1:17PM
Looking Good Joe.
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2016 at 10:51PM
Standard Motor # AL-482

According to several Mustang and F series truck forums the cap works right out of the box... We'll see!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 27-November-2016 at 10:51PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2016 at 1:52PM

Not a lot of progress to show for the month of December... I left my old job on December 2 and planned on taking the entire month of December to attack the Tomato, but my new employer had a hot job that needed to ship by the end of the month, so I went in to work for several days to help them get it ready on time and then helped my buddy Jim install a new oil burning furnace at the dealership, but I did get a little something done...

I got the engine wiring harness laid out, covered and installed,

installed the new distributor cap...

but the Ford Racing wires are a bit short to run like the factory, so I'm ordering another set.

Got the modified header collector tack welded, test fitted and mounting ears tacked for final welding...

Collector welded up, trimmed, dressed out and ready for powder coating...

dry fit the wheelhouses and core support so I could hang the starter solenoid and ignition module and start placing the wiring harnesses so I can try and light off the 460 once the collector is back and a few more bits and pieces get hung.

CONTINUED NEXT POST.....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 31-December-2016 at 2:21PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2016 at 2:11PM

I also installed the power steering return line as well as the alternator wiring and set out the battery tray...

I removed the wheelhouses and core support, DA'ed them and then shot the final coat of chassis black.

I then masked them off and shot the rubberized undercoating to the underside of the wheelhouses.

The second set of plug wires arrived so I installed the longest one in place of the original wires that were too short....

I need to trim a few of them to make the wires a bit more tidy. I also set the core support into position...

and then drug out the wiring harnesses for the engine bay. The first one I started on was the primary harness from the starter solenoid to the firewall bulkhead connector.

Got the connector cleaned and then stripped away the first foot or so of the old harness wrap and then cleaned the wires and installed the new convoluted wire covering.

CONCLUDES ON THE NEXT POST......

Edited by TV 2M8O - 05-January-2017 at 6:40AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2016 at 2:27PM

Once that one is finished, I have several more harnesses to do in the engine compartment before turning my attention to the interior harnesses!!!

Well that's all I got done in the month of December. Was hoping to have the car lit off and ready to turn back over to Far From Factory by the first of the year. Oh well, you know what they say about best laid plans....
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL Beer

Edited by TV 2M8O - 31-December-2016 at 2:29PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2016 at 3:40PM
gettin' there joe! Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2017 at 1:50AM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

Once that one is finished, I have several more harnesses to do in the engine compartment before turning my attention to the interior harnesses!!!

Well that's all I got done in the month of December. Was hoping to have the car lit off and ready to turn back over to Far From Factory by the first of the year. Oh well, you know what they say about best laid plans....
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL Beer

Yeah, but taking your time and doing it right is MUCH more rewarding in the end. Not sure if you know this, but they do make a higher temp split loom, it's made of nylon(up to 300 degrees) instead of polyethylene(up to 200 degrees). Makes quite a difference when used under the hood and on/near the engine, especially after a few heat cycles. Keep up the great work!  
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2017 at 2:33AM
That car is coming along very nicely! Love to see the detail car will look awesome when done.  
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2017 at 2:44AM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

..... Not sure if you know this, but they do make a higher temp split loom, it's made of nylon(up to 300 degrees) instead of polyethylene(up to 200 degrees). Makes quite a difference when used under the hood and on/near the engine, especially after a few heat cycles. Keep up the great work!  

Todd,

Thanks for the heads up about the differences in the split loom! Seems what I have is rated up to 200 degrees and I'm sure that's the short term rating! Looking at the nylon (Drossbach) seems it's rated -40 to +275F continuous duty (min 3000 hours) AND IT'S FORD CERTIFIED, so I've just ordered 25' of 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" from Amazon!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 15-January-2017 at 3:01AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 41>