The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 41>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2017 at 1:02PM
i was wondering, what are the specs on your engine,is it stock, or suped up?
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2017 at 8:34AM
- Block hot tanked, magnafluxed, honed, bored .30 over
- Stock Ford Rods and Pistons, New Mahle Rings, Clevite Bearings, gaskets and seals
- Cam Adv. Duration = 280/290 Duration at .050 = 214/224 Lift = .516/.543 Centerline = 107/117
- new freeze plugs, timing chain & hv oil pump
- crank ground and polished
- heads prepped and cc'd to 85cc combustion chambers 9:4 to 1 compression
- new stock valves with 3 angle valve job, new bronze guides
- exhaust ports of heads ported to remove EGR hump
- balanced 
- Edelbrock Aluminum Performer Intake Manifold #2166
- Holley 750 (#3310?) Vac Secondary w/electric choke

Edited by TV 2M8O - 03-January-2017 at 8:34AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2017 at 2:28PM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

<div id="yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1483475150895_4143" style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px; font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;"><font id="yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1483475150895_4142" style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px;">- Block hot tanked, magnafluxed, honed, bored .30 over<br clear="none" style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px;">- Stock Ford Rods and Pistons, New Mahle Rings, Clevite Bearings, gaskets and seals<br clear="none" style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px;">- Cam Adv. Duration = 280/290 Duration at .050 = 214/224 Lift = .516/.543 Centerline = 107/117<br clear="none" style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px;">- new freeze plugs, timing chain & hv oil pump<br clear="none" style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px;">- crank ground and polished<br clear="none" style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px;">- heads prepped and cc'd to 85cc combustion chambers 9:4 to 1 compression<br clear="none" style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px;">- new stock valves with 3 angle valve job, new bronze guides<br clear="none" style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px;">- exhaust ports of heads ported to remove EGR hump<br clear="none" style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px;">- balanced <br clear="none" style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px;">- Edelbrock Aluminum Performer Intake Manifold #2166<div id="yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1483475150895_4145" style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px; font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;"><span style="color: rgb255, 0, 0;">- Holley 750 (#3310?) Vac Secondary w/electric choke</span>

what casting are your heads? do you have any pics of the port job that you mentioned? im not familiar with them.

your cam, is that the comp cams extreme energy cam?

i know everyone wants d0ve heads, but ive recently heard that there is another casting that is similar to the d0ve castings, do you know anything about these?

Edited by gnrlee01 - 03-January-2017 at 2:29PM
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2017 at 5:37AM
Originally posted by gnrlee01 gnrlee01 wrote:

what casting are your heads? do you have any pics of the port job that you mentioned? im not familiar with them.

your cam, is that the comp cams extreme energy cam?

i know everyone wants d0ve heads, but ive recently heard that there is another casting that is similar to the d0ve castings, do you know anything about these?

Steve,

My heads are the D3VE castings and sadly I have no pics of the porting/mods because I purchased my engine from a friend who was going to do a stroker engine.

The cam is by Michigan (he believes they are owned by someone else now) and Lunati makes the exact same cam under their Bare Bones series.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2017 at 2:00AM
**CLICK ON PICS TO ENLARGE AND CLICK AGAIN TO SUPERSIZE**

Well January was another disappointing month! Not a lot to report being accomplished, but there were a few more baby steps....

Was bitterly cold upstairs at the dealership the first weekend of January, but I was able to pick up the powder coated collector and some touch up material...

got the transmission pan straightened, repainted and reinstalled

pulled the masking tape off the wheel houses

and removed the low temp convoluted harness wrap and started recovering the harnesses with the higher temp wrap... until my fingers got numb and I called it a day!

I took the engine harness home and finished rewrapping it....

then installed it back on the engine the following weekend.

I also got the main engine compartment harness wrapped that goes from the battery to the bulkhead connector...

and discovered how Ford was able to hit the harness mounting holes that were stamped into the sheetmetal.... the mounting clips were stapled to a plastic runner at the correct intervals!

The Forum doesn't like long posts so I'll continue this posting on the next.....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 05-February-2017 at 2:30AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2017 at 2:31AM

The following weekend was another baby step weekend.... nothing major to report being completed but I did get the passenger side header powder coating touched up so I can FINALLY get the headers completed and tightened into place.

I pulled out the charcoal filter assembly and got it broken down so I can clean up the canister and the corrugated paper hose to the air cleaner (looks like the canister should clean up pretty nicely)

and started unwrapping and cleaning the driver side main harness in the engine compartment. I also fired up the Fiero and looked at getting the Fairlane started and running as she should.

The first weekend of February I was able to get the passenger side header completely installed...

the NOS wiper mechanism cowl drain mounted...

and started rewrapping the second engine compartment harness. Put the battery charger on the Fairlane wagon and spun her over a few times, but she wouldn't hit, so I'll try again next playday in two weeks (gotta work next weekend).

I'll also got back to my weekly updates because it's a PITA trying to do a monthly!! Ouch

Edited by TV 2M8O - 05-February-2017 at 2:35AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2017 at 5:49AM
Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2017 at 2:26AM

A wee bit more progress to report... all the underhood harnesses are now cleaned and rewrapped (I'll be looking at replacing the headlight connector housings and the horn plug housing as they are a bit brittle looking and have definitely seen better days!)...

started locating and setting out the braces, brackets and reinforcements to rehang the pedals, master cylinder and steering column....

pulled out the parking brake mechanism and broke it down for cleaning, detailing, reassembly and installation.

Ordered new upper and intermediate parking brake cables from RockAuto and will begin my search for a NOS/repop parking brake release handle assembly.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 19-February-2017 at 2:27AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
starsky460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2017 at 2:36AM
Joe, for the parking brake release handle assembly try Dorman.
Carl
1976 Gran Torino Starsky & Hutch Limited Edition
FACTORY 460 c.u. engine
3:55 gears
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2017 at 7:24AM

Well this weekend I got the Tomato parking brake assembly cleaned up and cleared so it has that oily raw steel look...

Paint the pedal arm black and apply some white lithium grease to the mechanism and she'll be ready to go back together with new cables and a fresh pedal pad with stainless steel trim to match the ...other pedals.

Also located all the hardware to start rehanging the pedals and column. Got the first brace on...

and then was looking at my disassembly pics and realized the firewall pad needs to go on first, so I pulled my pad material out and laid it on the roof of the Fairlane wagon so the sun can heat it up and help flatten out the rolls where it has been boxed up. I'll lay my old pad and template on top of the material and mark it so I can get all the necessary openings cutout and then get it installed so I can keep moving forward.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 26-February-2017 at 7:34AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2017 at 2:24PM
 Thumbs Up keep at it joe!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2017 at 4:09AM

Well got the new fuel pump installed on the Fairlane and she started up, ran for a minute then, just my luck, stumbled and died.... out of gas! Next weekend I'll get a can of gas and drop a line into the container and give her a drink of fresh gas and see how she runs.

Tomato wise, I got the parking brake assembly reassembled (minus the cables), masked off and reshot the foot pedal area. Give her a good coat of white lithium grease and it'll be ready to go back into the car.

My insulation also arrived last week so I need to get my heavy shears sharpened up so I can start recutting the necessary firewall pads.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 05-March-2017 at 4:12AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2017 at 7:54AM

Well, another low productivity weekend... fueled the Fairlane and she would start and idle as before but still bog and die on acceleration. Popped the top off the carb (did you know you could start and run the engine with the top of the Autolite/Motorcraft 2 barrel carb off??) and have determined the issue is with the power valve, so I'll get a kit on order and then she should be good as new!!

On the Tomato, removed the earlier installed bracing and cut a piece of insulation to fit up against the cowl area and got it installed...

and then laid out my new firewall pad material and the old pad and template...

so I can get the new firewall pad cut. Need to get my shears cleaned up and sharpened really well this week so they will cut the pad easily. A buddy with an upholstery shop said to bring them by and he would see what he could do for them.

I also installed the refurbished perimeter wiring retainer, the pedal pad and NOS stainless steel trim to the parking brake assembly...

The NOS brake release handle is due to arrive on Monday so I'll get that installed and the assembly greased up next weekend and ready to be rehung in the car.

Hope to also get the firewall pad cut and installed next weekend as well as having the Fairlane back up to normal!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 12-March-2017 at 7:59AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2017 at 4:17AM

A bit more progress... the carb rebuild kit nor my new sheers have arrived yet so I needed to find additional tasks to do.

The NOS parking brake release arrived last week, so the first order of business was to get that installed....

and wrapped to protect it until installation.

Next up was to trim away the excess Gorilla glue from the bulkhead connector seal...

and filled the remaining cracks with RTV...

before spraying it with the first coat of Plasti Dip.

From there, Jim helped me put the hood up on the stand in the blast booth and then I masked off the seams between the underhood bracing and the exterior sheetmetal (to keep as much sand as possible out of the the bracing)...

and then proceeded to sandblast it.

the blasting also revealed the factory grease pencil marks....

I know the 9D is paint code (Polar White) but not sure about the 789??

At first I was trying to get everything, but then I realized the factory red oxide primer was on pretty good and tough to get off so I decided to leave it and just knock of the body color. The remaining red oxide should offer a pretty good base for the new primer and finish coat to adhere to.
Once finished with the underside, Jim helped me flip it over so I can knock off the top side paint next weekend.

But before I could leave, I noticed I almost had a flat tire on my driver, so we pulled it in and Jim broke it down and removed the culprit.... a very small piece of metal had just barely penetrated the tire in one of the tread grooves. Amazing how something so tiny could have stood up and pushed it's way thru the tread!

Man, it's always something! Ouch LOL

Edited by TV 2M8O - 19-March-2017 at 4:21AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2017 at 4:45AM
yep, i think those "sharpies" are a govt. conspiracy!!! they got them out to the masses to flatten tires, and i think they are secret listening devices too Wink
OH CRAP!!!ShockedShocked i see one here on my desk under some papers!!!!Shocked LOLLOLLOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2017 at 5:17AM
You are one loose lugnut my friend! LOL...

BTW, the cluster back panel arrived on Friday. Thanks again!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2017 at 5:26AM
i try my best joe LOL but you never know it could happenShocked
glad you got it joe you should be able to copy the missing tab, using your housing
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2017 at 5:09AM

More sandblasting on the hood this weekend...

second coated bulkhead connector...

and tried out the new shears...

NICE EASY CUT! Will outline the old firewall pads on the new material next weekend and get them cut out then wrap up the blasting on the hood.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 26-March-2017 at 5:11AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2017 at 2:13PM

Well today I helped Jim install a new motor on one of the compressors at the dealership, then unwrapped the bulkhead connector. Will need to shoot one more coat on the backside to seal the previous coats along the cut line. (Note to future self: Mask part to hard edge so you can trim new rubber along that edge and not peel off the new layer of rubber with the tape!)

Brushed the locking hood release to clean it up a bit (I had the ignition switch rekeyed to match this key so one key will operate both locks)....

then traced out the firewall pads onto the new material...

and got them cut to shape.

Need to get some larger diameter gasket punches so I can make the larger circular cutouts as well as the corners on some of the larger opening. Dry fit them and they look like they are going to work nicely!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 01-April-2017 at 2:16PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2017 at 4:31PM
comin' along! Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2017 at 7:56PM

A really productive day for once.... until I got ahead of myself! Got the firewall pads hung (used zip ties until I'm 100% satisfied before inserting the rubber retainers), the column braces, brake pedal support, accelerator pedal all hung, master cylinder and booster installed and the brake pedal pad and stainless steel trim attached.

I then unwrapped the steering column and the rag joint extension assembly and as I was trying to install the extension onto the steering shaft, I forgo...t to loosen and retract the pinch bolt in the extension clamp and inadvertently collapsed the steering shaft! GRRRR.... so I proceeded to disassemble the steering column so I could access the steering shaft and get it extended back to the necessary length.

Hopefully next weekend I can get the shaft extended, the column reassembled and the column and steering wheel installed back in the Tomato so it appears to be a car on the inside once more!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 08-April-2017 at 7:58PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2017 at 5:13AM
Looking real good! :) :)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2017 at 8:19AM
coming along joe! are you going to put the dash in around the column? i put my dash in then the column then the cluster, but i think you can do it either way as long as the steering wheel is off.
 have you look into buying a trailer yet? because this car is going to be too nice to drive ShockedBig smileBig smileWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2017 at 8:51AM
Johnny,

Dash won't be going in until she's back from paint & body... matter of fact once column & wheel are installed, everything will be wrapped for protection until it comes back for final assembly. Don't want sanding dust and overspray on everything.

....and I'll be driving this bitch like I stole her because that's the only way I'll ever recover my investment!!!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2017 at 8:55AM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

....and I'll be driving this bitch like I stole her because that's the only way I'll ever recover my investment!!!!
Shocked  (Wink)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2017 at 7:37AM

A short frustrating day Saturday.... determined the assembled length from the old fixed column out of the Torino...

got the steering shaft pulled apart

lubed the anti-rattle clips

and reinserted to the approximate length and the entire column reassembled.

Then started trying to install it solo... man what a PITA!!! Index marked the steering box spline and the rag joint coupler...

so next weekend I can get them reassembled. I'll break down the rag joint back to it's individual parts and get the steering box coupler fully pressed onto the splined steering box shaft, the reassemble the rag joint and deadman bracket to the coupler and then reattach the extension shaft to the end of the column, tighten the pinch bolt and then bolt down the column to the interior firewall brackets. Then I'll then install the steering wheel and run the steering assembly thru it's travel to check operation as well as any unwanted points of contact.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 16-April-2017 at 7:45AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2017 at 7:55AM

Well got the column and the steering wheel installed as well as the parking brake assembly and the locking hood release. Need to fab up a bracket I think to get the hood release mounted solidly.

Next weekend I hope to start hanging the wiring harness in preparation for getting this mutha lit off!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 23-April-2017 at 7:58AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2017 at 8:23AM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Paul100ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul100ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2017 at 2:52AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MItMDkc343M

Nothing stops this train.
Paul100ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul100ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2017 at 2:53AM
just discovered the song...
Nothing stops this train.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 41>