The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 41>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2018 at 12:19PM
starting to look like a car again joe Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2018 at 7:26AM
**CLICK ON PICS TO ENLARGE AND CLICK AGAIN TO SUPERSIZE**

Productive weekend. I installed the vacuum sensors into the water passages...

checked all hose connections were tight (or so I thought) then filled the cooling system with the Evans Waterless Coolant...

then lit off the engine and let her run!

While she was running, I dug out my AC condensers to see which one I wanted to use.

Need to clean them up and comb out the fins before making my decision. Now I need to find the mounting clips to mount it to the core support!!

Once she got hot, I had a couple leaks in the cooling system to chase down... hopefully got everything snugged up and sealed off! We'll know more next weekend….

Edited by TV 2M8O - 09-December-2018 at 7:27AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2018 at 9:38AM
getting there joe! as long as the rubber mounts are good! most of the cars i parted the mounts broke trying to remove the nuts!!!Angry but i may have the brackets if you need any?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2018 at 1:37AM

A wee bit of progress this weekend... got everything remounted after pulling things apart last weekend to tighten the clamp on the lower water pump to radiator hose and fired the engine. She ran about three minutes and sputtered and died.... out of gas. Well the distributor for real gas is closed on weekends so I unhooked the battery and went on to other things. My brutha Jim is gonna stop by the distributor this week and get me a can of fuel so I can refire the engine and verify everything is leak free.

Found the ac condenser mounting brackets and hardware....

and got them blasted...

and painted, dug out my restored hood hinges in preparation for getting those remounted next weekend and then spent the rest of the afternoon combing out the fins on both my ac condensers.

Next up will be to flush them both out, get them cleaned up and repainted and ready for service. The spare will be capped of and put away for use in the future.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 16-December-2018 at 1:38AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2018 at 6:34AM
 gettin' there joe Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2018 at 4:47AM

More progress this weekend. I got the hood hinges mounted...

the AC condenser mounting brackets installed...

a temporary fuel tank set in place (many need a slightly smaller one to get the hood to close)...

and the nose sheetmetal assembled and hung.

Starting to look like an actual car again! More playtime on Monday.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 30-December-2018 at 4:49AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2018 at 6:05AM
yeah now that's some progress! and more on monday, that's what i'm talking about Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2018 at 6:08AM
That 460 will suck right through your temporary fuel tank Tongue . but I guess it will give you a minute (or 2) to play. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2018 at 7:36AM
Thumbs Up dan's right! lol LOL

Edited by californiajohnny - 30-December-2018 at 7:59AM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2018 at 10:06AM
Yeah, she is a thirsty bitch for sure! Beer

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2018 at 11:20AM
  I don't know if having those Dynamax's pointed back toward you is a good idea.....ones loud, a pair would be deafening.
   I figure that your not going to be running around a lot with the sirens on, but even in a parade or a static display you will see what I mean. 

I envy your progress....look forward to your updates.

Edited by Zebra 3 - 30-December-2018 at 11:21AM
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2018 at 1:34PM
yeah my siren speaker is similar and i have it mounted almost against the drivers side headlight in the fenderwell with a couple layers of insulation in front of it to quiet it down and it's still plenty loud!!

Edited by californiajohnny - 30-December-2018 at 1:35PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2018 at 2:08AM
Not sure if you noticed the hearing protectors hanging off the grill support... but yeah, I know they are LOUD and toning them down is on my TO DO list.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2018 at 3:14AM
Looks great Joe!  Just a quick question for you, did you install the fenders after the wheel houses had already been installed?  I am hoping I can do that with my car, install the wheel houses first, then install the fender afterwards.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2018 at 3:20AM
Yes that is how those go together. Hang the wheel housings (loose) then the fenders go on next. Then align and tighten down. Hope this helps. 
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2018 at 3:21AM
Thanks Dan!  I have seen some guys bolt them together as a unit first, but I'd rather do them separately if possible.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2018 at 10:32AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Thanks Dan!  I have seen some guys bolt them together as a unit first, but I'd rather do them separately if possible.

Vince, I had my wheelhouses in place and then attached the fenders. As Dan says everything needs to be loosely attached so things can be maneuvered into position. I did notice when I removed my fenders after the initial install that I had scuffed up the top portion on the wheelhouse paint (wasn't visible with fenders installed) so what I'm going to tell my body shop is to loosely hang the wheelhouse from the fender (to prevent the paint damage) and then install the assemblies to the car. It's a real PITA getting the wheelhouse outer edge to tuck into the fender when they are already in place. Definitely don't want to damage the finish coat on the fenders!!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2018 at 10:34AM

A bit more headway today.... finished installing the core support to grill/header brace...

attached the vacuum line from the engine to the firewall vacuum block and ran the vacuum line on over to the power brake booster...

and increased the idle speed about an 1/8th of a turn to get the RPM's up and some heat in the engine to open the thermostat so I could finish topping off the radiator. Had a little leak on the thermostat housing and the upper radiator hose to housing clamp which I tightened up and stopped the flow.

While I was under the car wiping up the coolant, I noticed I had a little light show going on under the car...

(OK, how do you attach a youtube video and get the preview screen??)

Think I need to check the timing next weekend and perhaps get a carb guru to come adjust the holley a little.... I think she's running a bit rich and a tad outta time. Also need to check the plug wires (Ford Racing 9mm) to make sure I don't have a crossfire happening on the driver's bank. She starts instantly and the throttle response couldn't be any better, so I really hate to mess with her but gotta get the problem resolved.......

Edited by TV 2M8O - 31-December-2018 at 10:55AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2018 at 11:09AM
Looks great Joe! Won't be long you'll be chasing down Huggy Bear! As far as the Holley carb goes, don't uncover too much of the primary transfer slot to gain idle rpm, if so it will run real rich and the idle mixture screws will tend to be less sensitive to adjustments. Once you get carb to idle at your desired rpm, remove it and have a look at the transfer slots, should have about .020-.025" of the transfer slot uncovered. Should look something like this:
If need be you can open the secondary throttle blades to give the needed additional rpm, this requires trial and error with the stock flat blade screw that is only accessible when the carb is uncovered, I solved this by using a longer bolt that is adjustable with carb in place and while engine is running. Hope this helps and congratulations on the progress.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2019 at 10:13AM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

Vince, I had my wheelhouses in place and then attached the fenders. As Dan says everything needs to be loosely attached so things can be maneuvered into position. I did notice when I removed my fenders after the initial install that I had scuffed up the top portion on the wheelhouse paint (wasn't visible with fenders installed) so what I'm going to tell my body shop is to loosely hang the wheelhouse from the fender (to prevent the paint damage) and then install the assemblies to the car. It's a real PITA getting the wheelhouse outer edge to tuck into the fender when they are already in place. Definitely don't want to damage the finish coat on the fenders!!!

Thanks for the info Joe.  Maybe I will consider attaching them as a unit after reading this.  My wheelhouses are powder coated and look good, so I definitely don't want to damage the paint on them. 
Vince

GTS.org Admin
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2019 at 6:49AM

My first post of 2019! Last weekend I was in Cleveland for a Neurologist appointment at the Cleveland Clinic so nothing was done on the Tomato, but I did pop in the Parma, OH Eastwood store to pick up some supplies and then stopped at Summit in Tallmadge to look around on my way back to our Aunt's house who was hosting us for the weekend.

The weekend prior, I did get a few things done, but not much. My plan was to tweak the engine to try and determine the cause of the flash from the driver side header, but ran out of gas before I could make any progress. Man that two gallons of real premium unleaded did not last long.... this engine is crazy thirsty! LOL, but I did finish bluing the decklid springs, so I'll need to clear coat them and they'll be ready to install.

A bit more progress this weekend.... turns out the issue with the engine was a vacuum leak. While adjusting the hood I noticed that when I hooked up the and the power brake booster vacuum lines to the firewall vacuum manifold, I had neglected to cap off the unused ports. DUH.... major vacuum leak!

With them capped, the miss is gone and she still starts and runs easily with excellent throttle response. She's still running rich because the exhaust fumes will make your eyes water really quick!

Today's major project was to get the hood on. I first installed the coolant overflow bottle....

and once I got the hood hung with the help of my buddy Jim,

I changed out the 3 gallon gas can I was using for a fuel tank with a one gallon can so I could just put it on the driver side wheelhouse under the hood and the have the car drivable to a certain degree.

Once I got the hood semi adjusted......

I had a few minutes until it was time to leave, so I tacked the interior surfaces of both doors and hit them with a coat of chassis black so all the interior surfaces matched.

Next weekend I'll install the decklid and springs and try once again to get the lower radiator hose to seal.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 20-January-2019 at 7:28AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2019 at 7:22AM
Making great progress on your project. Yea I know about those 460's. I have them in the rancheros and they will pass everything but a gas station! BUT if you set them up right I do get 16-17 MPG on the highway in the 79. So it is possible to reach the mid teens. Tongue 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2019 at 8:21AM
good job joe!
 in reading your post about the gas can, lol it reminded me of those stupid math problems we had on tests.... " if joe had a 3 gal. gas can with 2 gal. of gas and it didn't last long, if he switched to a 1 gal. can, how much further can joe drive now?______    ConfusedLOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2019 at 10:24PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

good job joe!
 in reading your post about the gas can, lol it reminded me of those stupid math problems we had on tests.... " if joe had a 3 gal. gas can with 2 gal. of gas and it didn't last long, if he switched to a 1 gal. can, how much further can joe drive now?______    ConfusedLOL

LOL, thanks Johnny! The reason for the switch was so I could close the hood completely, not for increased mileage.... or footage as the case may be! Confused

BTW, your Stang is gonna be amazing!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2019 at 1:21AM

good job joe!

.... and Joe can stop at two gas stations now instead of just one!
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2019 at 1:50AM
LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2019 at 1:23PM

A bit more progress today... got the radiator hose sealed, ran the transmission thru the gears and installed the headlight bucket brackets.

I also finished blueing the deck lid springs. Next weekend I'll fill the power steering system and then get things ready to set the ole girl back down on terra-firma. Now to find a quality body shop....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 03-February-2019 at 6:32AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2019 at 5:03PM
that other guy isn't going to do it for you at his house still?Cry
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2019 at 6:00AM

that other guy isn't going to do it for you at his house still?Cry

Well one was supposed to stop by on Saturday to do a walk around and then we were gonna tour his facilities, but he never showed up and the other guy, who was his partner at F3 that also wanted to do it, I have not been able to get in touch with since the end of November.

Found a shop not too far from my house that said they love doing old school stuff, so I'm gonna swing by and check them out.

Need to find someone who will give her the attention to detail she deserves!!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2019 at 6:19AM

Well the sheet metal is now all rehung...

and now the quest begins to find a craftsman who can finesse the body and get her into her final colors. A few more minor tasks to complete, but she's basically ready to go!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 03-February-2019 at 6:31AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 41>