The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 41>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2019 at 5:56AM
Thanks Joe.  Looks great installed.  One question for you, since I will have to do my exhaust this year too.  Why did you end up having to use the flex joints?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2019 at 6:04AM
Vince,

I used the flex pipes to help with the transition from the Crites headers into the exhaust cutouts and back to the mufflers. The Crites headers don't end quite parallel with the centerline of the car and the flex pipes allowed me to easily get the correct angle and have a bit of cushion between in the exhaust system.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2019 at 5:50AM
**CLICK ON PICS TO ENLARGE AND CLICK AGAIN TO SUPERSIZE**

Some progress Saturday... blasted and painted the transmission cooler bracket

and the cooler

installed the MSD spark plug wire terminal dies onto my Greenlee ratcheting crimper

dressed out the welds in the second collector reducer

and boxed them up to drop off at the powder coaters this week and also ran to the auto parts stores looking for a formed 3/8" rubber line. Finally ended up at NAPA who turned me on to the online Gates Rubber hose catalog that should help me to find the exact hoses to help me finish up the trans cooler install.

I still have a very minute coolant leak from the radiator. Looks like it may be coming from the drain petcock. Will check that a bit closer next weekend.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 07-April-2019 at 5:52AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2019 at 6:58AM
Looks great Joe, what did you use to bend up those brackets?  They came out really nice.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2019 at 7:22AM
Thanks Vince! I used a couple pieces of 1/8" steel aligned on either side of my bracket at the bend line, placed in my bench vice and slowly tapped the "leg" over with a rubber deadblow hammer along the bend line until it was at 90 degrees. Repositioned my backing plates to the next bend line and did the same thing again. Once all three legs were formed, I laid the bracket on top of the flat section of the vice rack and used a flat faced body hammer to flatted the legs and tighten up the bends. Wish sometimes I had a small sheet metal brake!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2019 at 9:39AM
you made these joe, from 1/8" steel? dude you got some mad fab skills! Clap i feel unworthy LOL

hell i'd be at least an hour or more making them out of flat stock and getting the holes slotted and edges smooth like that! they look like they were done on a punch press Clap

Edited by californiajohnny - 07-April-2019 at 9:42AM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2019 at 10:54AM
looks store bought, nice work! Thumbs Up
72 GT Ute

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2019 at 3:53AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

you made these joe, from 1/8" steel? dude you got some mad fab skills! Clap i feel unworthy LOL

hell i'd be at least an hour or more making them out of flat stock and getting the holes slotted and edges smooth like that! they look like they were done on a punch press Clap 

Thanks CJ.... I'm a draftsman by trade so I designed the bracket then drew the flat profile and had it water jetted at the shop where I work out of 16ga. The backing plates I used to give my bends a hard crisp edge to work against were 1/8". If the bracket was made out of 1/8", it would almost weigh more than the trans cooler! LOL

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2019 at 7:15AM
i thought 1/8" sounded pretty stout, doesn't look that thick either

16g should be more than plenty
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2019 at 4:48PM
ok yeah i didn't think those looked 1/8"...water jet Shocked you cheatedLOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2019 at 5:10AM

Well not a very productive Saturday, but was able to determine the final necessities for the transmission cooler lines. Got the cooler put back together and installed what I thought should work for the hose run...

but after getting it installed and seeing all the other obstacles it needed to clear...

I've ordered another preformed hose to section up to get the run I want.

Looks like the lower hose run will work fine...

but need to change the upper run to kinda match the lower route to clear the AC dryer...

and transition smoothly thru the core support, which I'll also need to tweak a bit to get the hoses thru cleanly. Amazon shorted me a few Gates PowerGrip hose clamps, so I have to wait on those to arrive as well.

While looking things over for additional leaks, I noticed brake fluid had been leaking from the master cylinder and down the booster. I think I reused my original cylinder and just blasted it (I'll check my records to be sure) and possibly blew a seal when the proportioning valve was off center. Looks like a new NAPA master cylinder and a brake booster repaint are in my future as well.

Still searching for that third body shop to have a look at the car and give me an estimate so I'll have a better feel for what the final bodywork and paint should cost. Kinda getting the feeling the original price from Far From Factory was way too low.... but hey they did excellent work and it was their inspection and number crunching. Just wish I could have gotten my end of the deal done in time to allow them to perform their magic!

If I can get all these minor tasks sorted out and the undercarriage cleaned for the final time, I'm looking forward to setting her back on the ground and perhaps taking her for a little spin around the shop!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2019 at 5:25AM
What would it have taken to mount that cooler vertical instead of horizontal?  Thinking you could have run the lines at the top just under the pwr steering cooler lines. Just a thought. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2019 at 6:13AM
hmm yeah dan has a point. what about mounting it verticle take that a step further and mount it verticle over on the passenger side so it's close to the primary run of the cooler lines coming from the tranny Wink eliminating the run across the harmonic balancer to the drivers side... or did you run this cooler in a series with the oem tank mounted cooler ?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2019 at 6:44AM
CJ and Dan,

Yes, everything hard line wise is OEM. When I purchased my new stainless cooler lines, I ordered the set for a Torino with the external cooler, so it included the little preformed tube for going up to the remote cooler. Initially I wanted to mount it vertically to minimize the those runs, but after playing around with it trying to determine a stable mounting platform, I found mounting it horizontally would allow it to mount to the center grill/header panel brace and a simple bracket would attach it to the headlight bucket lower brace. I think once I get the second preformed hose and get it sectioned up to match the lower hose run, it will make for nice tight and neat hose runs.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2019 at 2:04PM
joe: i kinda figured you did that seeing that fit to the center brace...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 6:33AM

A little progress Saturday. First thing was to wrap up the little project for the dealership of putting padlock provisions on the rear door to the ramp upstairs...

then reran the transmission cooler lines to fit the location a bit cleaner.

Should have the new master cylinder from RockAuto by next weekend so I'll be getting the brake system repaired, repainted and reinstalled then trying to tie up all the coolant leaks.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 7:21AM
I really like Rock Auto although waiting for the mail like a Rottweiler sucks.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 7:23AM
looking good buddyThumbs Up you still have coolant leaks????Shocked

ahhhhh!!! cut the excess off those zip ties!!!

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 9:29AM

looking good buddyThumbs Up you still have coolant leaks????Shocked
ahhhhh!!! cut the excess off those zip ties!!!

LOL, CJ I left them on so I could pop them loose when I go to pull the AC condenser back out of the car.

I've not really tried to resolve the coolant leaks yet for doing other things. Need to adjust the carb so I can get a bit more run time out of a gallon of fuel so I can really get some heat into the engine and get the hoses hot so I can get a really good grip on them with the wire style hose clamps. Pretty sure it's just leaking past the lower hose clamp on the engine and at the petcock. At least that's where the puddles are.....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 10:28AM
oh ok, i thought you said you'd fixed coolant leaks a couple times? just sounded like you had more leaks again....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 10:28PM

oh ok, i thought you said you'd fixed coolant leaks a couple times? just sounded like you had more leaks again....

CJ, a few half hearted attempts because I knew I needed to get some serious heat into the engine to bring them all to the surface.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2019 at 10:19AM
Had a family funeral to attend last weekend, so there was nothing to report. Visited a restoration shop this morning and then went on a leak finding expedition.... one is at the thermostat housing. The gasket is wet and squishy so I'll replace the gasket with a quality FelPro one as well as maybe a slightly shorter set of bolts. The second seems to be the radiator petcock drain barrel ever so slightly hitting the lower rubber radiator cushion and perhaps deflecting a bit causing it to leak a little, so I'll get a male/female nipple to extend it a bit past the cushion and hopefully seal correctly. Then I need to kick things into high gear so I get her onto the next phase of the build.... BODYWORK AND PAINT!!!!!!!!!!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2019 at 1:19PM
yes you do! Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2019 at 12:03AM
Nice Joe, glad to see that you finally figured out the leaks.  
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2019 at 8:42AM
Bodywork and paint next is very exciting! make sure you do your homework before you pick a shop. Talk to other customers get photos and go down and look at the shop doing the work. Is the shop a place were you will want to leave you pride and joy? I have had some great shops to great work and have also had some "not so great shops" do not only terrible work but the car looked worse. You have been working on this thing for a long time so if you don't have a good shop in mind be careful and check them out first before handing over the keys! Also watch out for the friend of a friend will do it "on the side" for a little less. Those are "I will get around to it when I have some extra time" I have seen those take up to a couple of years to get your car back Angry. I am not trying to scare you but want to see your car turn out the best it can and you be happy. Take care and looking forward to more progress! Dan the ranchero man 
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2019 at 5:53AM

Not a lot to report since my last post....

Last weekend, I spent about three hours wiping down the suspension and the underside of the car to clean off the exhaust soot.

Also had another funny leak show up. After cleaning everything up under the car, I cycled the steering thru it's travel lock to lock three or four times. When I went to close the hood, I noticed a couple spots of transmission fluid had leaked from the power steering pump. It threw me for a loop because the engine was not running, so it was simply moving everything stop to stop that caused the leak. My buddy Jim happened to be at the dealership so I asked him to come give me a hand for a minute. When I had him run the steering thru it's travel several more times than I did, not a single friggen drop appeared. I laughed and told him it always happens that way when I bring a car into the dealership for diagnosis.... NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY HAPPENS!! The consensus seems to be it was an air bubble burp out the fill tube of the pump. Time will tell....

This weekend, I began the process of removing all the mock up assemblies to prepare the Tomato for her trip to the body spa! LOL, I removed the trans cooler and AC condenser and while I had the grill/header panel brace out, I took the opportunity to relocate the AC ambient temperature switch to clear the trans cooler hardware.

I also removed the muffler hangers from the frame and located the hanger boss locations on the Flowmasters so I can get them welded into place.

When I was under the car rehanging the muffler hangers, I snagged one of the collector V-bands and mocked together the collector/flex pipe/exhaust cutout to see how they were going to fit together...

Not a fan of the different finishes from the flex pipe back. I kinda like the polished stainless look, but the muffler isn't stainless nor polished, so I need to figure out how to make it all look good together... hmmmm.

Getting real close to turning her loose to the body shop....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2019 at 7:33AM
is that high heat bubblewrap?! ShockedLOLLOL

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2019 at 8:28AM
That's an additional layer of soundproofing, Johnny.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2019 at 8:50AM
You guys are just too funny.... LOL Tongue Beer

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2019 at 10:09AM
 LOLBig smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 41>