The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 41>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2019 at 12:30PM
Glad you figured it out Joe.  Once you get that new pump on there, it should be a quick bleed and go. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2019 at 10:47PM
This^
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2019 at 10:13AM
you shouldn't have to really bleed anything just fill it and start turning the wheel while it's running, just turn until you feel resistance then let off then turn some more until it will turn smooth and even lock to lock Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2019 at 11:35AM
This. ^.

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2019 at 12:11PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

you shouldn't have to really bleed anything just fill it and start turning the wheel while it's running, just turn until you feel resistance then let off then turn some more until it will turn smooth and even lock to lock Wink

Turning the wheel lock to lock (without hitting the stops) is always what I understood to be the process to "bleed" a P/S system.  I guess I should have clarified.  Every time I have done it, it's usually a very quick process.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2019 at 12:03PM
My new Lares pump arrived last week, so Saturday I set it out on the bench and compared it to my original....

and then I cleaned it good and got the first coat of paint on it.

The Super Clean Degreaser wasn't too kind to the paint on the reservoir, so I sand blasted it, the pulley and brackets and reshot them as well.

This weekend I'll second coat the pump and reservoir and then hit them with a coat of clear this time for a bit of added protection from future engine cleanings.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2019 at 1:16PM
Looks good. 

I just cleaned my pump and after the leaks seals were replaced, I did what my father used to do. Blue rattle can. Excelt he painted everything, including vacuum lines, stickers, wires, and anything else I forgot. Haha
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2019 at 6:58AM
Last weekend I second coated the parts and this weekend, I reassembled the pump....

but I have about 1/32" of end play in the shaft, so I have contacted Lares to verify this is OK and would disappear once the pump is full of fluid and the system bled out and ready to go....  don't want to have to pull it off a third time!!

FUN, FUN, FUN!!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2019 at 7:04AM
well if it don't work... it sure looks nice! Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2019 at 7:27AM
pump assembly looks great very nice job! 
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2019 at 5:24AM
QUICK UPDATE........ Heard back from Lares and they said all is good that filling and purging the power steering system will eliminate the shaft end play. WHEW.......... Beer

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2019 at 11:34AM
** DOUBLE CLICK ON PICTURE TO SUPERSIZE **

A wee bit of progress last weekend. Got the power steering pump mounted and just about everything else rehung and the front end up in the air, but then ran into issues of not being able to find the new hardware I needed at any of the local auto parts stores Angry, so final assembly and fill & purge pushed back....

A bit more progress today.... got the power steering system plumbed up so I could monitor the air in the system. With the engine spitting and sputtering like a Top Fueler, I was able to get a few turns of the wheel in before the engine died, but it seems like the system is now operating correctly.

I will keep it rigged up until I get the engine running like she should and the system purged of all the air in the system. I pulled the plugs and they were fouled out again, so I'll get them cleaned up and see how she runs after that.

NEED TO GET THAT CARB FINE TUNED!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2019 at 12:09PM
the way I was taught to purge PS is to fill the reservoir, and with the engine running, turn the wheels back and forth in small increments, gradually increasing the rotations each way.... keeping an eye on the reservoir so it stays filled.... until you can turn lock to lock a few times and the reservoir stays full.  That all takes just a couple minutes to do.
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2019 at 12:19PM
Originally posted by hogfiddles hogfiddles wrote:

the way I was taught to purge PS is to fill the reservoir, and with the engine running, turn the wheels back and forth in small increments, gradually increasing the rotations each way.... keeping an eye on the reservoir so it stays filled.... until you can turn lock to lock a few times and the reservoir stays full.  That all takes just a couple minutes to do.

Lares said to crank and slowly turn the wheel while cranking (do not start) and keep the fluid level up where it needs to be. Easy to do with a helper but tough to do solo, Confused so I came up with a way to "overfill" the reservoir so I could crank and turn while keeping an eye on the level. Once the system was full, they said to start the engine and continue to cycle until all air has been purged. Even that's tough to do solo when the engine doesn't want to play nice. Ouch

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2019 at 2:39PM
either way will work fine! i usually do it like dave described

sounds like it's way rich!!! check the float levels first!!!! then turn in the mixture screws...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2019 at 5:16AM

either way will work fine! i usually do it like dave described

sounds like it's way rich!!! check the float levels first!!!! then turn in the mixture screws...

Had it not been a 100% new system, I would have just added the pump, fluid and started her up and turned the wheels side to side, but being all new and dry, I knew there would be a TON of air in the system and did not want to risk the pump going dry and getting junked, so I took the long route.

Yeah Johnny, once I get the plugs cleaned and reinstalled, attacking the carb is the first thing on the list!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2019 at 6:10AM

Progress! Got the power steering operational and purged and she is now back on the ground and appears to be leak free.

Will run it some more next weekend to confirm everything stays dry, but by and large she is now ready to turn over to someone to handle the bodywork and paint. Hope to find that special craftsman in the days ahead!

Wish me luck.....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2019 at 8:19AM
 ah good!

i was considering submitting a request for a progress report here last night Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2019 at 8:31AM
Had a home emergency the previous Saturday (leaking hot water heater) that needed my attention, so the Tomato was left setting.... Cry

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2019 at 9:41AM
Well I got the Torino repositioned so it was accessible all the way around so I could show it to prospective bodymen to get estimates on the bodywork and paint as well as engine access so I can get the carb adjusted and the engine timed correctly.

I also pulled apart the sandblast cabinet...

to install a new viewing window, left hand glove and new led lights. Three light strips did a decent job illuminating the interior, but decided to add four more to insure there were no dark areas. Will get that all buttoned up next weekend.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2019 at 12:42PM
lighting looks great in the cabinet (well until the dust starts flying Confused)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2019 at 10:22PM

lighting looks great in the cabinet (well until the dust starts flying Confused)

LOL, that's why I'm adding more fixtures! Wink

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2019 at 2:17AM
A separate 200 amp service for the garage.Big smile
Steve M.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2019 at 10:12AM
** DOUBLE CLICK ON PICTURE TO SUPERSIZE **

Well this weekend, I got all the blast cabinet LED lights positioned....

but the double sided tape provided wasn't tacky enough to stick to the rough surface inside the blast cabinet, so another project delayed awaiting correct materials.

With the Torino ready to be sent off for bodywork and paint once I find the right shop to tackle it, I decided to start working on other areas of the restoration. The rear seat cushions (and both front buckets as well) have already been reupholstered and wrapped up awaiting installation for almost 12 years, so I decided to pull them out of hibernation, unwrap them and set them in the car for a fresh look at my decision a decade later....

LOL, they still fit and I am still happy with my decision on the design. Now to rewrap them and wait just a bit longer for the final install.

The search still continues for a body shop, but there are still many things yet that need addressed before all is said and done.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2019 at 11:38AM
Those seats are absolutely stunning! I love the red stripe w/ the black. Good luck with you search for a good shop. I have been there and done that 4 times. Both rancheros have been repainted twice funny thing 3 of the 4 where great but the shops went out of business (guys retired).  The 4th shop was so bad that I would let them touch anything I owned. 
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2019 at 12:05PM
+1, that rear seat looks great Joe!  Is that seat from some other car?
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2019 at 3:28PM
looks good! some of the sports came black and red but not with the fold down partShocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2019 at 10:29PM
Thanks guys for the compliments!! Beer

If you want to follow along on my process creating the interior, here is the first installment from my project blog that outline what all I did. There are 5 installments to this endeavour.....

ENJOY

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2019 at 7:52AM
SUCCESS.... the car will be heading off for bodywork and paint the first weekend of the New Year!! One of the principals from Far From Factory called me up out of the blue on Thursday evening about 9pm in response to a Messenger message I had left almost a year ago (he no longer follows facebook so he hadn't gotten a message notification. He accidentally opened the Messenger app and my message popped up.... Divine intervention perhaps???)!! He stopped in on Saturday to look over the car...

and get a copy of the estimate they gave me way back when we first began discussing the project. His shop is open and the car is ready to roll so once the holidays are out of the way, let the fun begin!!!

After he left I began looking at how to modify the package tray bracing to accommodate the rear sear arm rest pass thru. Got a couple ideas the we'll work out as the bodywork progresses.

Finally, the major phase of the build is about to get underway!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 15-December-2019 at 8:49AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2019 at 8:37AM
sounds great I know you are very excited!Thumbs Up  Let's hope all goes as smoothly as possible and you get your baby back looking better than new!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 41>