The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 41>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2020 at 12:14PM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

Originally posted by Anderslober Anderslober wrote:

I just found this thread. Absolutely amazing and stunning work! 
Wow! A total inspiration for my 72 GTS.Wink
inspiration?... PSH "hold my beer" here's my thread
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/johns-74-sh-clone-build-thread_topic10024.html Wink

Cry CJ, I thought we were buddies.... Cry
we are! nothing against you joe, just trying to give him MORE inspirationWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2020 at 10:27PM

Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

Originally posted by Anderslober Anderslober wrote:

I just found this thread. Absolutely amazing and stunning work! 
Wow! A total inspiration for my 72 GTS.Wink
inspiration?... PSH "hold my beer" here's my thread
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/johns-74-sh-clone-build-thread_topic10024.html Wink

Cry CJ, I thought we were buddies.... Cry
we are! nothing against you joe, just trying to give him MORE inspirationWink

We're good...Handshake Beer just messing with ya CJ. LOL

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2020 at 3:34AM
Clap you almost had me feel bad for about half a second LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2020 at 5:14AM
Saturday after running a few errands, I headed to the dealership and finished making the rear seat armrest brace and then sandblasted it. Learned that 16ga stainless steel is a bit tougher to bend than regular carbon steel but I think I did OK blacksmithing it!

On the Torino front, the guys ran into some surface rust on the roof skin that had gotten under the primer, so they are in the process of addressing and eliminating it prior to applying the skim coat.

Slow but sure progress none the less.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2020 at 5:19AM
 what primer did you use?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2020 at 6:12AM
CJ, the plan is to work the sheetmetal until it's shiney, treat it with a rust converter, apply a coat of All Metal, dress it down, apply 3M Platinum Plus skim coat of body filler, block panel then epoxy primer.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 16-February-2020 at 6:27AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2020 at 6:57AM
right, just wondering if you used a sandable lacquer primer before, as it will allow moisture to penetrate!
 yep plan sounds good! just sand again over the areas treated with phosphoric acid again after it's treated the rust so the primer will adhere good!  if not i've seen masking tape pull paint and primer off down to the metal!!!ShockedOuch
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2020 at 11:53AM
While not a lot to show progress wise the last couple weeks, things are none the less moving forward. The guys are blocking the roof and it's proving to be a bit time consuming because not a lot of pressure can be put on the sanding block because of the flexing of the roof skin. but it's slowing coming around.

After the roof is all blocked out, they will move the car a bit to gain more room to work the lower driver side quarter and once it's wrapped up, the first coat of epoxy primer will be applied to the A pillars, roof, rear quarters and deck lid. Then the car will be turned around in the shop and the work on the doors, hood and front fenders will get underway.

Stopped in last weekend and test fit the rear seat arm rest panel and it slid into position nicely.....

I then went on into the dealership and pulled out my wheel lip molding to get it ready for shipping out for repair and refinishing then helped my buddy purge and relight the oil burner furnace in the shop area.

This weekend, I filled the weight bags with sand for use in weighting the doors for alignment with the quarters....

and then bubble wrapped the wheel lip trim and found a box to ship them in.

Next weekend I'll get the box padded and ready to ship.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2020 at 2:25PM
hmm... bulk granola should work WinkLOL

looking good joe Big smile i'd put the weigh in the center of the doors as the glass and hardware is actually spread out throughout the door ...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2020 at 1:15PM
Brief update on things..... first, we are alive and well and I've just started week four working from home due to the pandemic. Glad I'm actually working and not just sheltering in place because otherwise I would be bored outta my gourd!!

Not a lot to report on the Tomato front either. Between material issues, the Coronavirus and Mother Nature very little progress has been made. First the 3M expanding foam the shop ordered to shoot between the roof skin and the roof bracing to give some support to the sheetmetal to eliminate the oil canning they are experiencing during the blocking of the roof was old and dried up, so a new tube had to be ordered. Next the principal bodyman got sick and work halted for a bit. Then the pandemic began and things slowly began to get curtailed around the country. This was followed by a wind storm that blew a tree down next to (thankfully and not across!!) the bodyshop tearing down the power line, pole and transformer. He has been struggling with his insurance company to try and get everything sorted out and repaired but the lockdown is hampering their efforts to get back up and running. Fingers crossed that repair get underway this week!!

I've not been able to do much on the things I have to get done for the Torino because the dealership has cut back their hours to only working 4 days a week, and sadly Saturday is not one of them! So I need to gather up what I can fit into my Mustang to bring home and work on them here... once I get my garage cleared out so I have a clean work area to do my thing. I did however get my wheel trim all packaged up and sent out for straightening and polishing!

Wanted to bring everyone up to speed on where I am and that I'm safe, healthy and still kicking!

STAY HEALTHY EVERYONE

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2020 at 1:25PM
Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2020 at 2:34PM
Glad to see any progress at this point with anything.  Tomorrow is the first day of driving for me in six weeks. Hope the weather is decent, I need to get the lead out.
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2020 at 2:46AM
What are you going to use for the front and rear seats? Seeing that you're customizing the rear crossmembers for the center armrest in the back, obviously you're not using anything stock.  :P
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2020 at 5:34AM
They are stock buckets and rear seat with a bit of custom upholstery and a functional rear seat arm rest. Here are a couple links to my project blog showing the finished upholstery....

Wanted something a bit different but not drastically so.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2020 at 8:52AM
Joe, those seats look amazing! Clap
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2020 at 7:39AM
The shop is finally repaired and operational and the guys got right to it. The replacement foam arrived and they got it applied to the braces...

and were finally able to get the roof blocked out. With the roof out of the way,

they then turned their attention to setting the panel gaps. The front clips is now off the car...

and the weight bags applied to the doors to mimic the assembled door weight.

They are starting on the passenger door since that side is the most accessible.

Eager to see the progress made this coming week!!

As far as me, I was finally able to go to the dealership and I fixed a crack in my front grill, did a little rust repair on my rear bumper sight shield reinforcement with some two part epoxy, then shot the brace with some rubberized undercoating and then reinstalled the rear sight shield reinforcement to the rubber bumper sight shield, so now all the sight shields are ready to be worked and shot bright argent.

I also worked on the wheels for my '64 Fairlane 500 Ranch Wagon getting ready to have the centers painted to match the body color of the vehicle. Blasted them and painted the rim section with POR15...

and now have them ready to send to the body shop along with the wagon hood for the finishing body work and Skylight Blue paint.

Woo hoo, feels good to be able to finally report more progress on the Tomato!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2020 at 7:54AM
Clap damn joe you'll get it done for 2020! ( the year with no car showsAngry that's B.S. i say!)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2020 at 8:13AM
FINGERS CROSSED!!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2020 at 8:52AM
No car shows just mean you will have to drive it more Tongue. That's my take on it anyway. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2020 at 10:21AM
there's been a few impromptu cruises popping up around here lately, while cool but still not the same as being able to look over some cars thoroughly, talking to the owners and just kickin' it in lawn chairs with your car buddies for the day 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2020 at 11:13AM
I agree point taken. 
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2020 at 8:34AM
WOW, been almost two months without an update!! Hasn't really been anything Torino related to report, but the power at the bodyshop has been restored and they are in the process of excavating the area behind the facility to expand it rearward to install a new paint booth and additional work area, but Mother Nature hasn't been cooperating very much so things are taking longer than planned.
I went over to the dealership this morning and marked the holes in the front bumper reinforcement to see which areas could be cut away to reduce a bit of it's weight.....

and also messed a bit on my front bumper pushbar over-rider style bumper guards....

I then moved the bumper reinforcement off the worktop and went and grabbed my dash out of the parts storage room to start cleaning it up to paint and restore. Had a car in the wash rack, so I just set the dash on the bench until next weekend when I'll pull off the remaining electrical components and get it into the bay and wash it off really well. Did notice a couple cracks in the lower edge that I'll need to address and looks like I also have a couple holes on the lower edge to fill as well....

Hope to hear some news from the bodyshop on a wee bit of progress they have made recently. Until then...

Edited by TV 2M8O - 15-July-2020 at 4:25AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2020 at 1:58AM
WOW, two updates in a month... been a while since I've been able to do that!! LOL

The weekend of the 18th I had to go up to the Cleveland for an EMG and doctor's appointment at the Cleveland Clinic, so I didn't get a chance to work on anything Torino related. But on my way back from the appointment on Monday I got a text from the upholstery shop that they had my rear seat finished, so as we headed home from Cleveland on Tuesday, I swung by and picked it up.....

While it's not 100% to my liking, it better than it was...

since it's the back seat and not too many people will be up close and personal with it, it will suffice until I have the interior redone in leather at a later date. Have learned to go over EVERYTHING with a fine tooth comb before accepting and paying for a completed project!!!

So this weekend, I took the seat over to the dealership and dropped it off and while I was there, I took my grille down to the wash rack, washed it good (lots of nooks and crannies in that egg crate grille!!) and then took it apart for repairing and detailing.

I have one crack to the top center that had been repaired unsuccessfully in the past that I must readdress before getting too far along it its restoration, so I added a couple layers of masking tape to try and keep the grille together so the crack wouldn't advance any further until I can get it repaired...

Anyone had any luck gluing a grille back together and if so, what type of glue did you use? I also have a couple small cracks in my dash (which I think is the same plastic material??) that will also need to be addressed. As always, all suggestions greatly appreciated!

I'll also be documenting each and every step of my grille repair/restoration and post the finished thread in the HOW TO section.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 27-July-2020 at 4:17AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2020 at 2:19AM
I'm in Florida. I used a custom motorcycle shop that does plastic "welding". Thats what they called it. They repaired my inner faring on my Harley and you can't see the repair. They laughed when I bought in my grill. They did repair it. You can see the repair if you take the grill out. 
 I hearing that any custom motorcycle builder can get this done. Cars are not a priority with them.If you go that route,  Be prepared to wait. Good luck. 
Steve M.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2020 at 6:01AM
joe, my grill was center cracked like that too ( think it can happen when removing and installing due to the long studs angled trying to get them through the mounting holes)?? that glue i sent a pic of is what i used on mine, abs might work???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2020 at 9:20AM
Met the guys at the dealership this morning so they could drop off my driver's seat, the wire harnesses and some tools I left in the car and they picked up the wagon wheels to paint the centers for me. I met them back at their shop to eyeball the Tomato and they have been busy! Got her blocked, taped up and the build coat of primer and the guide coat applied to the body and deck lid...

While it's curing out, they'll start working the doors, fenders, hood, header panel and headlight buckets.

I came back to the house to work some more on the garage so I can start bringing some of the odd projects I need to get wrapped up home and taken care of....

Moving right along now!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 01-August-2020 at 9:25AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2020 at 9:24AM
PartyClap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2020 at 9:28AM
 who wasted 2 rolls of tape on this wheel? i'd have just bagged it with a garbage bag and taped the end closed to the column... Confused

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2020 at 9:30AM
Was only three quarters of a roll thank you very much... Big smile I did that to insure I wouldn't have to detail the wheel and column again!!!! Thumbs Up Beer

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2020 at 9:45AM
LOL omg joe you did that?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 41>