The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 41>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2020 at 9:52AM
i thought your paint guys did that? had me worried, but now this makes sense. glad you sought professional helpWink  and i don't mean just for the paint job either LOLLOLLOL
 sorry joe couldn't help myself LOL keep them updates coming Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2020 at 9:59AM
Wink Tired of doing things two/three/four times! Big smile Confused

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2020 at 10:08AM
Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2020 at 2:24PM
I was going to make Mummy Jokes about the wheel, but....
Johnny got there first. LOL

"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2020 at 6:13PM
rare Egyptian wheel Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Paul100ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul100ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2020 at 3:26AM
You're really going for it...Thumbs Up
Nothing stops this train.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2020 at 6:05AM
Well the guys have started working the hood as the body primer cures out....

Once they have it all blocked out, they'll jump onto the doors and fenders.

Saturday, I went over to the dealership and pulled out all the various bits to the dash and started stripping the dash in preparation for repairing a couple cracks and then repainting it satin black, detailing out the highlights and then reassembling it in preparation for it's final install....

I left the metal dash reinforcements in place to keep the dash plastic supported until I'm ready to do the repairs.

When I left, I brought the grill home to work on in the evenings after work.

They guys are making good headway and don't want them waiting on me for anything!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 09-August-2020 at 7:34AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2020 at 8:59AM
 lookin good joeBig smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2020 at 8:01AM
A little update from the guys this week... they have started metal working the front fenders, closing up a few emblem holes...

and adding a patch to the areas behind the wheel openings to fill the holes left by cutting out some rust...

and the hood is awaiting it's second coat of mud.

They also got the 5 rims for the wagon worked, primed and painted.

Once they have cured out, clearcoated and a bit of buffing and polish, they will be ready for some new rubber!

Well the black ABS cement DID NOT adhere to the grille as I was lead to believe, so I did a little web surfing and came across a product on Eastwood called Plastex Rigid Plastic Repair. Sounded like what I was looking for, so I went to youtube to see the stuff in action. Found a couple videos and one was an actual plastic grille repair, so I was reading thru some of the comments and one of the reviewers said you could do the same type repairs using baking soda and super glue (cyanoacrylate or CA for short) for a LOT LESS than what the kits cost! A bit more surfing and came across several posts about how easily and soundly baking soda and super glue (CA) repaired plastics.... one was even by the MythBusters and how they used this stuff all the time!

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/tips/a584/2569841/

So when my wife and I went to the grocery store this morning, I popped in CVS and bought a package of Scotch brand liquid super glue. (The liquid is preferred over the gel because you want it to wick quickly into the baking soda.)

Once we were back home (and the groceries unloaded!) I headed out to the garage to clean off the ABS cement, beveled the edges of the cracks and reprep the grille for another attempt at repairing it.

The first area I tested was the longest crack along the top of the grille. I applied a piece of clear packing tape to the underside to act as a retainer for the baking powder as shown in one of the videos...

applied the baking soda...

packed it down into the crack with a small flat screwdriver and leveled it a bit and then began applying drops of the CA to the soda.

I watched it slowly began to wick into the soda and once all the soda was saturated and the CA was uniform in color, I took a paper towel and wicked off the excess CA (and the paper towel actually began to smoke due to the exothermic reaction of the CA!). Once I had the excess removed, I couldn't believe how quickly the stuff had set and how strong the first repair made the grille feel.

I then proceeded to do the same steps along all the surfaces of the crack...

The grill now feels VERY SOLID! I'll let everything set up overnight and then dress the visible surfaces smooth so I can then move on to cleaning the grille really good and get it repainted and ready for reassembly.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2020 at 8:23AM
Shocked what the hell is that thing???   VVV        haven't seen one of those in yearsLOL

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2020 at 8:26AM
 the ABS works on the dash, grill is like  polystyrene plastic or similar, cluster is PVC, all different plastics Confused 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2020 at 9:19AM

Going over the grille I noticed a couple more cracks, so I repaired them as I did last weekend. The first ones feel VERY strong so I'm confident in the integrity of the repairs.

While I was going over the grille very thoroughly, I noticed the back section of the grille is a darker argent/black to hide the ribs supporting the grated area of the grille so the inserts appear to float in the assembly....

Anyone else have the "shadowing" effect on their '74-'76 grille?

Edited by TV 2M8O - 30-August-2020 at 9:46AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2020 at 9:47AM
That looks very good, and it's a great use of colors.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2020 at 11:58PM
Kinda been sidetracked working on the wagon the last couple weekends but yesterday I went out to the bodyshop that's doing the Torino. While Nick worked on blocking down the hood, I knocked off the flaking paint on the interior that's not adhering to the POR15. Was really pretty easy once I found a section that wasn't sticking I was able to use a small tipped air gun and blew it off. Took a while and was a bit on the messy side with the sanding dust and paint chips whirling around inside the car, but wasn't as tough as I had envisioned it being. (SORRY, NOTHING REALLY PICTURE WORTHY!)

Now to get back on the grill and get it restored and then tackle the dash..... 

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2020 at 4:59AM
A couple progress pictures from the bodyshop. Nick's Dad has been under the weather and he has been caring for him so not a lot of progress lately, but he promised to have me additional progress photos over the weekend. Slowly getting there!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2020 at 1:55PM
** REMINDER TO DOUBLE CLICK ON PICTURE TO SUPERSIZE **

Quick update on the Torino.... the hood has been blocked and is now ready for primer. The guys are working the front fenders now to get them blocked out and true and once they are ready, the hood and fenders will get their first coat of high build primer.

As for me, aside from working on the wagon, I been getting the grille finished up. After all the cracks were found and repaired, I hit it all over with the silver argent paint....

once the paint had cured out, then came the tedious task of masking it off to apply the flat black shadowing.....

With the tape all removed, she came out really well. A few spots where the tape was out a bit too far on the rib and the black doesn't extend all the way to the insert and had one spot where the black bled thru the tape and onto the argent but those should be an easy touch ups.

Now to mask off the parking lights.....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 26-November-2020 at 3:08AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2020 at 2:19PM
Can anybody tell me how to resize pictures within our editor?? For some reason several pictures decided they wanted to be bigger than the rest..... Angry

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2021 at 1:36AM

Wow, been over a month since my last update! Wish I could say there has been major accomplishments made during that time but sadly that's not the case.

After painting the grille, I set about cleaning and then masking off the turn signal housings....

and then shot them first with VHT Ford Argent Wheel Paint, but it was slightly off in color, so I ordered another can of Ford Argent spray paint from NPD to match them to the grille....

I also cleaned up the plate and nuts for mounting my NOS grille emblem.

On the body shop front, The guys now have the hood and both front fenders worked....

and are now working the doors.....

Hopefully have a few more update photos this weekend....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 02-January-2021 at 1:54AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2021 at 2:07AM
Nice job on all fronts. 
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2021 at 5:37AM
Sometimes slow and steady is the plan of the day. keep up the good work.  
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2021 at 1:12PM
lookin' good joe! keep on those guysWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2021 at 3:29AM
Looking good Joe!  That VHT paint seems to be a pretty good match for grille paint.  It's probably cheaper than the stuff I bought from NPD too.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2021 at 3:47AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Looking good Joe!  That VHT paint seems to be a pretty good match for grille paint.  It's probably cheaper than the stuff I bought from NPD too.

Vince,

The VHT was a tad too dark, so I reshot it with the NPD Argent to better match the rest of the grille.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2021 at 3:49AM
Sorry Joe, I totally misread your post!  Yes, re-reading it, I see that it is too dark.  I was hoping there was a cheaper alternative, especially for me since over the border shipping for NPD is crazy.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2021 at 10:02PM

Holy mackerel, it's been almost three months since my last update! Sadly has not ben a lot to report due to the pandemic and Mother Nature. My bodyman has been working a LOT out of town so he hasn't been home much to work on the Torino and then we had an ice storm that knocked his power out for almost two weeks but hopefully things can get moving again now the Spring has sprung! (fingers crossed!!)

I did do a bit of Tomato work this past week. I took my Dynamax siren bracket to work and had my extensions welded on....

so I could mount tandem sirens to get both siren sound effects at once like was used on the show.

I then dressed down the welds.....

I need to drill the mounting holes for the second siren and then blast and paint the bracket and finish detailing the Dynamaxs and they will be ready awaiting installation.

Hopefully will have an actual update on the progress of the body next installment!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 21-March-2021 at 10:07PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2021 at 10:28PM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

Was only three quarters of a roll thank you very much... Big smile I did that to insure I wouldn't have to detail the wheel and column again!!!! Thumbs Up Beer

Get that tape off soon, or you will have tape residue all over everything
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2021 at 1:45AM
Oh, I know about tape sticking after a period of time... It's tape to paper!! Wink

THANKS

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2021 at 10:43AM
I'll bet everyone thinks I've died or something since it's been about 6 months since my last update! Still alive and still kicking but the progress on the Tomato has been reduced to a snails pace, but let me bring things up to date...

Nick stopped by my place of employment back in May to drop off my tail lights so I can get them changed over to the NOS lenses and trim and picked up the door latching mechanisms so he could start working the door alignment and gaps, but on Saturday September 4th, '21, he was in a pretty serious motorcycle accident and fractured 8 vertebrae and cracked 2 ribs swerving to avoid a deer in the road. As soon as he's able to move around a bit better, we plan on getting together and putting together a punch list of thing remaining to be done prior to putting the final prime coat on the car and deciding where we go from there.

I too have been a bit neglectful on doing the things I need to be getting done on the Torino that I can only attribute to being bummed out because of the lack of progress on the body shop front, but I have gotten a few things almost done....

After letting the turn signal housings cure out for a good while, I finally did the final paint clean-up and then cleaned the lenses really well...

Once they were finished, I reinstalled them into the refinished grille along with the NOS grille emblem and touched up a few areas that needed some attention....

I still need to polish the vertical chrome strips and get some new stamped steel clips to install them back onto the grille and then all that remains is getting the restored grille surround back from my buddy Joe Wright and putting them back on to complete the grille assembly.

This weekend, I set about prepping the "burp tube" I got from another Torinoite, California Johnny, to install in my new Spectrum fuel tank....

I drug out my old fuel tank and located the spot welds to insure the locations were the same as on the new one and they were, so after taking a few pics,

I removed the tank vent and gasket, the filler tube gasket and the sending unit. WOW, the sending unit looks like it has seen better days...

so I’ll look into having it rebuilt since they aren’t available new any longer. I’ll reuse the tank vent since I replaced it along with the rubber gaskets back when I first had my tank cleaned and sealed after getting the car years ago, but the gaskets will be replaced.

I drilled out the spot welds holding the tube to the remnants of the old tank and then dressed down the spot welds so it will be ready to reinstall...

Need to determine what to put on the tube flanges to prevent future rust but still allow the bracket to be spot welded into my new tank.

I'll also use the remnant of the old tank as a template to locate and drill the holes in my new tank to weld the burp tube in side.

With everything out of the way and about ready for reinstallation, I looked down into the old tank and was surprised how crusty it was since it was supposedly “sealed” years ago when I had it cleaned.

Perhaps it’s the alcohol in the modern gasoline? JEEZE

Edited by TV 2M8O - 20-September-2021 at 5:24AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2021 at 11:00AM
   Your friend, while unfortunately busted up, is a lucky guy. A local guy here took a turkey to the chest after it smashed the fairing on his road glide. He was paralyzed. Not sure how he is now.  It's been over 20 years since the accident.

Any progress on the car is better than none. Glad you are still alive.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2021 at 5:10PM
geez that tank isn't as bad as the one on my bike... damn alcohol rusted  the crap out of mine, so bad that flakes get into the carb and clog it Angry i figured the only way is to use a small mower filter to trap itConfused with 8 coats of candy and 8 coats for clear on it ... boiling it out isn't an optionOuch
 hmm some day i need to get that bike back on the road
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 41>