The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 41>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project TV 2M8O
    Posted: 02-May-2012 at 1:18PM
Well for those who haven't been following my blog elsewhere, the Torino is off to the body shop. Here are a few pics...

Waiting on the guys to arrive so I was playing with my stripe templates... 

My "swoop" compared to the TV Hero #1... almost got it nailed!

Let's see if those post correctly....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 02-May-2012 at 3:16PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2012 at 1:25PM
They posted correctly. Great work!Thumbs Up
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2012 at 1:48PM
SUPER! OK, so here are more pics of the move...

Edging towards the ramp down....

Into the daylight for the first time in YEARS....

Off to the body shop....

Arriving at Far From Factory. Driver said there was a LOT of rubber necking going on during the trip!

In the shop and among good company. We beat the rain by about half an hour!!

Stay tuned.....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2012 at 2:21PM
looking good,I feel your pain laying out the stripe! but at least it'll be the way you want it.keep the pix flowing.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
GRAN1976TORINO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRAN1976TORINO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2012 at 2:33PM
That stripe is smokin. Keep pics coming..looking really good.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2012 at 3:13PM
Thanks guys!
To see all I have been up to on my build, check out my project blog (see link in signature).

MORE TO COME

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2012 at 12:36PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2012 at 2:59PM
Originally posted by 72 GTS 429 72 GTS 429 wrote:

I see you have a donor roof strapped to the car,was your car a vinyl car before?

Jeff,

At one time she was, but the vinyl was long gone! There was damage to the roof that they had simply pulled out and puttied over (dig thru my blog to see more about the damage) and I thought it would be soooo much easier to just reskin rather than work the metal back into shape so I found a donor.

Yeah the shop doing the work turns out some really NICE work and they are stricklers for the details like I am, so that made the decision to let them handle things that much easier. Really looking forward to November... that's our target completion date.

STAY TUNED......

HEY YOUR ANIMATED SIGNATURE LOOKS AWFULLY FAMILIAR!! Thumbs Up

Edited by TV 2M8O - 07-June-2012 at 3:01PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2012 at 9:36AM

Reconstruction has begun....

The guys at Far From Factory have begun the daunting task of repairing the Torino inner structure. They have pulled the driver's side rear quarter panel to expose the underlying structure and have found the hidden repairs were performed with the same blacksmithing skills as the roof! (click on pics to enlarge)

The replacement rear quarter skin had been brazed into place with a minimum of attachment points which made the skin removal pretty straight forward, but the work to come will be a bit more difficult. Here are a few shots of some of the problem areas......

The guys do great work and have agreed to allow me to assist with the more mundane tasks that don't require a lot of skill but do need lots of patience. I see a lot of spot weld drilling, edge straightening and rust removal in my future! I hope to also pick up a few bodyworking skills along the way and perhaps some painting basics as well.

More to come......

ZEBRA 3 OUT

Edited by TV 2M8O - 28-June-2012 at 9:43AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2012 at 10:32AM
looks like our going to need a donor for some rust free structure parts

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 28-June-2012 at 10:33AM
Mark S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2012 at 11:20AM
Looks like a lot of work is gonna be needed on that quarter/ c-pillar area! I wouldn't even know where to start...
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop
2004 Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition
71 Torino GT 429CJ (sold too many years ago to count...)
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2012 at 11:33AM

Donor parts already in hand...........

And got a GREAT crew working on it, so it will be BETTER than new when finished!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2012 at 2:35PM
Wow,thats alot of work to be done!it's great that you can help out with some of the progress.keep the pix comin'
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2012 at 8:17AM
I think it looks far worse than it actually is. With all the necessary replacment parts in hand, I think it should be a very straight forward swap out of parts....

But time will tell!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 01-July-2012 at 8:18AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2012 at 12:51PM

The boys at Far From Factory (F3) found another part that was damaged that they also wanted to replace... the section of the roof header right above the c-pillar. I got in touch with the guy who supplied me the inner structure and he still had his donor Torino and was able to cut out a large section of the header so we would have more than enough of the roof header to make the repair.

Last piece of the puzzle (hopefully!!) is in the mail!

STAY TUNED!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2012 at 9:57AM

Last piece of the puzzle?

The replacement piece arrived at Far From Factory (F3) so now with all the (known) repair parts in hand, let the sparks begin to fly!!!

I also purchased a gallon of Evapo-Rust to treat the new section priot to install so I'll let everyone know how well it worked on the heavy surface rust on the donor piece... however I'm sure it won't be as clean as Redi-Strip got the other parts, but we'll see!

As a side note I had to also get a replacement rear tire.... evidently Team F3 were doing burnouts with the 2M8O and had a blow out....

LOL, the tire looked like Wilson from CASTAWAY!!

More to come....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 13-July-2012 at 10:06AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2012 at 1:15AM
Joe,I guess if you're ok with them doing burnouts with your car than its all good?usually nothin good happens from that.Most people wouldn't understand how an outputshaft coulda busted during a routine maintance check,musta been soft steel compound....yeah, thats what it was soft steel.Wink
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2012 at 4:54AM
John,

I was just making a joke.... have a closer look at my lead in photos (or check out my project blog) and you'll see the engine and tranny are OUT of my car! So unless they are decendants of Fred Flintstone, it was just a case of old, dried out rubber and perhaps a busted belt that let go when they were airing up the tire. I've had the car since '04 and I work on it and keep it stored on the second floor of a local car dealership where temps climb well above 110 degrees in the summer and the Lord only knows how old the tire actually is, so I'm pretty sure it was simply a tire failure!

Yeah, I have complete faith in the integrity of the guys at F3!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 15-July-2012 at 4:55AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2012 at 2:25PM
Joe.guess I shoulda checked out your blog sooner.I was wondering where you had the car stored,ford dealer I hope!
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2012 at 3:15PM

John,

No actually they used to be a Dodge dealer, but the dealer principal owns several old Fords... among other makes.

They were one of the dealerships that Chrysler robbed of their franchise during the car maker bailout..... funny because they were selling between 50 & 75 NEW cars on average a month prior to being cut off. We never could rationalize Chrysler's method of reasoning for which dealerships to keep and which to pull.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 19-July-2012 at 3:16PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2012 at 9:15AM

Out with the old.....

The team at Far From Factory (F3) have removed the damaged sections of the driver’s side rear quarter structure....(click on pics to enlarge)

Closer inspection of the damaged and donor sheet metal sections reveal that many of the panels will have to be grafted together from bits of each group to arrive at solid replacements. As an example, the donor wheelhouse outer lip wasn’t nearly as solid as the outer lip of the removed tub. When the Torino was originally repaired years ago, the outer wheelhouse was replaced with a new OEM unit along with the new outer quarter panel skin. Evidently the car saw limited weather after the repair because the outer wheelhouse was extremely solid. Had it not been blacksmithed to accommodate use of the original (damaged) inner quarter structure, it could have been reused. Adam plans to cut out the good section of the outer lip and graft it into the donor wheelhouse. A similar situation is being experienced at the replacement section of the roof header.

After talking with Adam about his plans to create solid replacement panels from the bits and pieces available, I feel I made the right decision to turn the body and paint over to the craftsmen at F3!!

Stay tuned for more….

Edited by TV 2M8O - 02-August-2012 at 9:20AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2012 at 9:34AM
wow...  its wierd looking at one of our cars like that. 
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2012 at 10:02AM
LOL, yeah and you should see it with the driver's door opened!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2012 at 10:52AM
but i know when it is finished... it will be a new car...  thats what is cool about it.
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2012 at 11:16AM
It's a shame the car was damaged at some point in it's past and not repaired correctly when everything was still available NEW over the counter! The ONLY rust on this thing was a spot, a bit smaller than a business card, behind the passenger side front wheel where leaves had collected and rotted the fender out from behind. Everything else was very solid.... even had the factory dual exhaust still in place, but it was due for replacement from the mufflers back.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2012 at 1:14AM
Panel fitment has begun.... Part 1

Well the guys at Far From Factory (F3) kept to their plan and Sept 4 thru 8 is definitely OLDIES WEEK. Panel fitment has begun on the Tomato and things are really starting to take shape. They have the inner structure grafted together and now the repaired assembly is welded to the wheelhouse. The boys are now in the process of fitting the wheelhouse/inner structure to the body.

With things secured in place, they even hung the outer skin and roof skin to check fit and spot the sail panel to roof patch panel to the outer quarter panel.

Looking forward to seeing how much is done on Friday!

Stay tuned……….

ZEBRA 3 OUT

Edited by TV 2M8O - 06-September-2012 at 1:19AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2012 at 3:15PM
are those 17" dodge rims on the rear?
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2012 at 9:04PM
Originally posted by 75GranMan 75GranMan wrote:

are those 17" dodge rims on the rear?

John,

No, I think they said it was off of a Toyota truck they had out on the lot. Was the only spare they had available at the time when they created "Wilson".... LOL

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2012 at 2:17PM
Went over to the dealership and cleaned up my frame brackets and reinforcements today... seemed like a strange place with the Tomato gone!!

Here are a few shots of my efforts.....

The reinforcement bars will be satin black powder coated and the frame brackets will be painted chassis satin black along with the frame once they are welded on. Can't wait for the boys at F3 to get her back to me in prime so I can get busy again on blasting the rest of the chassis and engine bay and getting the undercarriage and doghouse area all finished up!

Until next time....

ZEBRA 3 OUT

Edited by TV 2M8O - 15-September-2012 at 2:20PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2012 at 5:24AM
Going thru my project pictures and did this side by side comparison.....

Funny how while the repairs are not fully completed, the area looks 100% BETTER!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 21-September-2012 at 5:27AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 41>