The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 41>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2012 at 6:18AM

Was this car some kind of limited production car or was it sentimental to you or something? If not I am just curious why go thru so much work if not.I have seen a lot of them with possibly a lot less repair which in the end would probably saved you $.

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2012 at 7:43AM
We tend to jump through hoops for our cars, LOL. Sometimes it is something in the heart that causes us to care less about the wallet.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2012 at 5:28AM
Scott,

I had one of the S&H LE's back in the day and had it for many years until one day I had a brain fart and sold her. The car hadn't move 3 feet and I knew I had made a MAJOR mistake because everyone knew me by that car. I always said one day I would get her back...

When the S&H movie came out in '04, the fire was rekindled! I exhausted ever lead I could trying to locate my old ride without success so the hunt began for a replacement. I found this one on eBay out of Washington state (from Mr. S&H Torino himself, Steve Casteel) and determined to rebuild it as a clone of the TV Hero cars..... except mine will be a bucket seat/console car (the way I'm sure Starsky would really have ordered it! LOL)... and being the anal type, I WANTED IT AS NEAR PERFECT AS POSSIBLE!

Joe is right, when the heart is involved, the wallet doesn't matter!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2012 at 2:59PM
Joe,I'm with you you on the bucket seat/console......Now go the extra mile,4SPD!!! nice work on the car,Is that an NOS quarter?
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2012 at 5:07PM
Thanks for explaination,I was just curious.You will enjoy it when done I'm sure.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2012 at 4:08AM
John,

It was NOS back in the day when the car was originally fixed.... that's why I said if they had just gone the extra mile back when it was first repaired, I would be ahead of the game now! But they cut corners to reduce cost's I'm sure... never expecting it to live this long???

I thought about converting to a 4 speed but decided to stick with the C6 to reduce drivetrain abuse! LOL

Edited by TV 2M8O - 23-September-2012 at 4:10AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2012 at 11:16AM
Picked up the powdercoated frame reinforcements on Friday and for $20, they came out pretty nice......

Definately be dropping off more pieces for them to coat!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2012 at 10:07AM
Tail light seals arrived...

need a bit of clean up but otherwise in pretty good shape.

Thanks Javier!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 09-October-2012 at 10:09AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2012 at 10:24AM
Wow, those are nice. Really difficult to find in that condition. More often than not, those never were replaced when an accident occured. My '76 was never hit and has them, but most of the parts cars I've bought... less than 1/2 were present.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2012 at 12:54PM
Joe,nice little extra you have there.my car didn't come with them.I scored a set,but opted not to use them as they aren't in the shape your are in.Thumbs Up.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 5:55AM

Been a while since I posted a project update, so I thought I’d bring things up to date…

The principals at F3 do fantastic work and LOVE working on the old stuff, customs and hot rods... but the problem they are facing is finding skilled labor THAT WILL COME TO WORK EVERYDAY! They have been searching for craftsmen to come in and work the insurance jobs (@ flat rate) so they can focus on the classics. They have had my car since May and that's the very reason it is so far behind schedule... a guy will start, work a couple weeks, earn a good check and then disappear. They need the insurance work to keep the doors open and lights on so they can pursue their passion, which means THEY have to work the paying jobs because they can't find dependable help.

That being said, this week is scheduled to be another oldies week… If they can replicate the progress they made last oldies week, my car should be in primer by the weekend! Just a few pieces to finish fitting up for the inner structure and they will be ready to finish weld and dress out the repairs prior to painting with POR15 and then rehang the rear quarter and install the donor roof skin. Once all that is completed, it will be time to hit all the exposed steel with a scotch-brite pad in preparation for the first coats of primer! Been waiting years to say that!

The guys at F3 will also be welding on the frame brackets for the forward reinforcement bars as well as straightening the lower core support crossbar prior to returning the Torino to the dealership for me to finish up detailing the frame and engine compartment and a few other areas I want to finesse prior to final paint and assembly.

I haven’t been totally dormant while I’ve waited on the Tomato’s return. I have lined up a new 460 for the car that I will be purchasing from a fellow forum member and picking up the first weekend of November. The engine specs are as follows:

Rebuilt Ford 460 engine with less than 5000 miles
- Block hot tanked, magnafluxed, honed, bored .30 over
- Stock Ford Rods and Pistons, New Mahle Rings, Clevite Bearings, gaskets and seals
- Cam Adv. Duration = 280/290 Duration at .050 = 214/224 Lift = .516/.543 Centerline = 107/117
- new plugs, timing chain & hv oil pump
- crank ground and polished
- heads prepped and cc'd 85cc combustion chambers 9:4 to 1 compression
- new valves with 3 angle valve job, new bronze guides
- exhaust ports of heads ported to remove EGR hump
- balanced
- Edelbrock Aluminum Performer Intake Manifold #2166

- Rebuilt Holley #3310 4 barrel carburetor

Cleared off my engine stand and got it all cleaned up for the new addition I also checked out the air cleaner assembly I have for my car and found I have a 429 base (snorkel vacuum port mounted to bottom of housing just behind the carb) and a later 460 cover (snorkel vacuum port mounts to lid). A bit more scrounging thru my parts cache and I found an early lid that I will need to work just a bit and I'll have the air cleaner like I had on my old LE. In the warmer months, I would replace the full size OEM lid with a 14" chrome aftermarket lid the allow the outer perimeter of the air cleaner element to be open so it could breathe a bit easier. When cooler temps arrived, I would replace the factory lid to be able to utilize the heat riser function of the snorkel. I also purchased a NOS engine block heater (freeze plug style) off eBay since the 460 in my project Torino came with one and also picked up a set of taillight fillers, which I posted earlier.

Hopefully my next update will be a bit more constructive!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 7:57AM
Can't wait to see this beauty.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2012 at 9:07PM
I'M BACK! HELLO JOE! How are you,looks like your making progress still.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2012 at 9:41PM
RALPH.. Hello old friend. Glad to know you are still kickin'!!
Yeah, she is slowly taking shape and I can only hope she turns out as nice as yours did. Please stay in touch!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2012 at 10:27PM
Yes freind, I'm still kickin! Yes your car is coming along. It should be a beauty when done. I will be on the forum regularly.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2012 at 3:17AM
Went to Philly over the weekend and picked up my new engine and was also treated to a very special opportunity....

All in all a weekend I will NEVER FORGET! Thanks to Carl for making it happen and to my new friend Steve for his hospitality and generousity in fulfilling a dream!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2012 at 5:10AM
That is awesome. Congrats on fullfilling a bucket list wish!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2012 at 2:26PM
Joe,thats frickin awesome,I haven't met Steve in person,but have talked with him over the phone.I purchased my car from a friend of his (Rich M from NC).Steve had very Detailed pix of the car,taken by our own JIM W in OHIO.Steve was more than happy to send me a CD with the pix of the car,which helped me to view the car before I made plans to fly down to check it out.He was great to speak with,I hope to meet him in Carlisle this June!
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2012 at 1:08PM

Engine - Part 1

Well finally got to Philly to pick up my "new" engine from my buddy Carl. He sent me a few videos to show me how smoothly the 460 ran and a few pics of the rebuilt carb.....

and after looking at what he sent, I was sold! So the weekend before Thanksgiving I headed to Philly to get a new heart for my Tomato. When I arrived, Carl was still in the process of pulling if out of his S&H LE, so I rolled up my sleeves and jumped in to help. Before long, the 460 was dangling above it home of many years....

We trimmed off the excess exhaust pipes (in hindsight, I wash I had kept the pieces we cut off for future use in determining the run of the exhaust out of the engine bay) and wrestled the engine into the trailer and secured it for transport back to it's new home. The transport vehicle was a 4x8 U-Haul trailer hooked behind my Sable.......
When I first saw the trailer number, I thought I was really in for an unforgettable adventure.....

....but happily I was wrong! LOL

The next day I was given a special treat (see earlier post) before my 9 1/2 hour drive West thru the mountains of WV. While the hunk of iron I was pulling behind me did labor the Mercury on the upslopes, she never let me down and we made it safe and sound.
On Monday, I was off to the dealership early to unload the engine....
then on to U-Haul to return the trailer. With all that out of the way, I set about pulling off the various bits and pieces so I could mount it on my engine stand.......

Next installment, we'll crack her open and have a look inside...

Stay tuned!!

ZEBRA 3 OUT

Edited by TV 2M8O - 27-November-2012 at 1:16PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2012 at 3:23PM
Like opening a present at Christmas.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2012 at 5:31AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Like opening a present at Christmas.

Jeesh, hope I don't find socks and underwear!!! LOL

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2012 at 6:29AM
Yes, that would be bad indeed!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2012 at 8:38AM

Engine - Part 2

With the engine on the stand, it was time to crack her open and have a look inside. First I pulled the exhaust manifolds, carb, fuel pump, timing cover, harmonic balancer and the oil pan. Inside everything looked excellent! The double roller timing chain was nice and taunt, oil pump screen and inside the oil pan was free any debris and the rotating mass looked nice and clean with no visible signs of wear......

Next task is to cover all the openings, sandblast, prime and paint the exterior and get her ready for reassembly and detailing.

Until next time.....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 15-December-2012 at 8:41AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2012 at 10:58PM
Stopped by the F3 (Far From Factory) shop yesterday and the guys say next week is all mine! I have to get the epoxy primer and supplies on order from Sikkens for delivery on Monday Jan 7th, so by midweek, the Tomato should be (FINALLY!!) wearing her first coat of paint (well epoxy primer anyways) in over 4 years!!

MORE TO COME

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2013 at 12:29PM

A little bit closer.....

Stopped by the F3 shop on Tuesday and the sheet metal is about 90% complete. A few more tweeks/repairs to be made to the inner structure and then it will be on to hanging the quarter and roof skins, then prepping for the epoxy primer. Sikkens have already delivered the primer materials, so by the end of next week (01/18/13) she should be once more have something on her naked body. Here are a few shots of the structure and the quarter panel in place to check fit......

Will take a few more shots of the final structure repairs prior to exterior panel attachment. Really getting excited about getting the ole girl back so I can get my hands dirty again while the guys at F3 massage the hood, fenders, deck lid.

Stay tuned......

Edited by TV 2M8O - 09-January-2013 at 12:38PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2013 at 5:17AM
Joe,

Those frame brackets and reinforcements on page two appear to be the factory style frame reinforcements that my 76 Elite had.

Where did you get them, they look brand new and as a kit? Are they NOS ford parts, a third party kit or used stuff you cut off and had made to look brand new?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2013 at 9:00AM
Scott,

Those are OEM bars & brackets that I got from Ian (iangj) here on the forum. Wire brushed them really good then had them powder coated.... Yeah, they turned out well!!

Carguy47 was at one time going to snag several sets from a boneyard and put together kits for guys wanting to add the frame reinforcements (http://forum.grantorinosport.org/police-or-wagon-frame-parts_topic6647_page3.html).

Might want to touch base with him if you are in need of a set.....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2013 at 9:56AM

Inner structure REPAIRED....

The boys at F3 were busy on the Tomato this week! They sent me pics of the COMPLETED INNER STRUCTURE REPAIRS today and they look FANTASTIC! I'll swing by tomorrow after work for a first hand opportunity to drool over their craftsmanship....

They will probably already have the quarter and roof skin attached by the time I get there as well as the inner driver side rear bulkhead and be dressing the welds and prepping the body for the first coat of epoxy primer! Won't be long until the ball will be back in MY court!!

Tune in tomorrow for more......

ZEBRA 3 OUT

Edited by TV 2M8O - 16-January-2013 at 9:59AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2013 at 11:47AM

HUNG

Swung by the F3 shop and the quarter panel and roof skin are almost completely attached!!

They will finish dressing the welds and start prepping the body for primer and should have the two stage epoxy sprayed on her flanks by this time next week!

Stay tuned.....

ZEBRA 3 OUT

Edited by TV 2M8O - 18-January-2013 at 11:51AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2013 at 3:52PM
won't be long now,then comes the fun,trying to remember where all the parts are!
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 41>