The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 41>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2013 at 4:38PM
LOL, I know where the parts are.... the question is WE DO THEY GO??? Confused

Thank God for the ole digital camera & the pictures she took!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 11:00AM

SCUFFED

Got a text from the guys at F3 today asking if I was ready to bring the Tomato home this Saturday! YIKES, I'm not ready.... so I told them we would shoot from next Saturday, Feb 16th, so I could go this weekend and get the area at the dealership ready to receive it's old friend back to the fold.

I swung by on my way home from work and they have her about 75% ready to prime. A few more welds to dress out, a bit more prepping of the body and she should be wearing her first coat of epoxy primer on Friday!!

Here are a few shot to document her progress since the last installment.....

She has come a LONG way since I dropped her off around the end of April! Not quite are far along as we had hopped but she is being done right and you can't rush quality. Hope on Friday to have some primered shots!

The plan is for me to stop again next Tuesday for a final inspection to confirm everything on the Stage 1 list has been completed prior to bringing her home temporarily for chassis and engine compartment detailing before taking her back to the boys at F3 for Stage 2..... FINAL BODY WORK AND COLOR!

Stay tuned....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 05-February-2013 at 10:56PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 11:15AM
Joe,it looks like it's really starting to come together nicely.How long before it'll be ready to go back for paint?
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 11:28AM
John,

Yeah, slowly but surely! I hope to be ready to turn it back over to the boys by late Spring/early Summer...

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 3:23PM
Will you be going to Carlise with this car if its done. Sure would like to see it.
1zebra3                      76 S&H Torino
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 11:00PM
Matt,

Yep I plan on having her at Carlisle when she's done.... but sadly that won't be THIS year! I hope to be able to display her next to Steve's TV HERO #2 car since that's the one she is based upon.

Looking forward to THAT DAY!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2013 at 4:38AM

She's BAAAAAAAACK!!!

The day I've been waiting for finally arrived and the boys at F3 finally got Phase 1 of the Tomato restoration completed and returned to me. They did such a fabulous job repairing the inner structure that it's a shame it has to be hidden away again. Here is a before and after shot of the repaired inner structure...

The Sikkens epoxy primer was applied to the doors and body to give them a level of protection as well as a solid base for the coming bodywork...

and they returned the Tomato to the dealership....

so I could modify a couple things that need to be done and get the Torino up in the air to sandblast and POR15 the chassis and firewall and return it back to them for final bodywork and paint.

The guys also got the front frame reinforcement bars added while there!

Now it's time to crawl under her and blast and paint the undercarriage....
LET THE FUN BEGIN
Until next installment...

Edited by TV 2M8O - 24-February-2013 at 9:46AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2013 at 11:40AM
Joe,I've been waiting for more progress on your project.your thread is like a good book,can't wait to read the next chapter! Now get your a#% in gear and  don't keep us waiting.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2013 at 3:43PM

Blowin' the doors off....

Well was a short day today working on the Tomato. The tasks of the day were getting the holes pulled for the door power feed harnesses and get the doors removes. When I purchased the power window assemblies from Jeff Munn, I had him to also send the the leading edges of both doors so I could locate everything as shipped from the factory. This also allowed me to know the exact sizes of the holes I needed to put in the doors and hinge posts so the harness bellows would seal correctly. The factory openings measured roughly 1 7/8" in diameter and I knew that would be a tough job cutting those with a hole saw so I checked at work and found the Greenlee punch for 1 1/2" conduit was 1 15/16"... close enough.

I used my step drill to cut the 1/2" pilot hole for the draw stud and with the help of my buddy Jim maneuvering the punch into position to clear the side impact bar in the door, it was a simple matter of pumping the hydraulics to pull the punch thru the thin material of the door skin and voila.... nice smoothly cut round holes in the leading edge of the doors in less than an hour......

Next step was to remove the doors so we could access the necessary location on the hinge post of the body to pull the opening cabin of the car....

With the harness holes in place we laid the first door on the sawhorses so I could begin the task of cleaning, prepping and painting the insides of the doors as well as getting the interior side prepped for paint.....

Until next time...........

Edited by TV 2M8O - 02-March-2013 at 4:14PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2013 at 5:02AM

A DATE WITH THE STRIPPER

I've had the Torino back for a few weeks now and haven't gotten to spend much time working on her for one reason or another, but I am making some small gains. I now have the paint stripped off both doors...

I need to wash the paint stripper off them really well and then protect the naked sheetmetal with some POR15 PREP & READY as well as cleaning the interior of the doors and painting them with POR15 to protect them from any future rust.

While I was in the stripping mood, I also started stripping the bumper fillers. I got the corner fillers all stripped....

and the rear main filler is next on the agenda. When I finally break down my front bumper assembly, I will also strip the front main filler and then all the bumper sight shields will be ready for final prep and Silver paint.
Until next installment.....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 14-April-2013 at 5:18AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2013 at 8:08AM
Got a real workout Saturday as well as making some progress on the tomato... Carried both doors, two sawhorses, foam padding and plastic downstairs to wash rack at the dealership, set everything up and then washed them inside and out to get rid of any paint stripper residue that may have been left behind and then carried it all back upstairs. Reset the horses, padding and plastic and prepped the passenger door inside & out with POR15 PREP & READY. WHEW...

and I also got a engine stand ready for a new coat of shiney coat of Bright Red paint.....

then went home and worked on the garage for a while. FUN FUN FUN!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 28-April-2013 at 8:12AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2013 at 12:35PM
Hey Joe! Great progress since I last was one here,lookin very good!!
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2013 at 3:49AM
Thanks Ralph... she's not going as quickly as I'd like, but you can't rush perfection! LOL

Tried out my new Eastwood sandblaster Saturday. Got the top side of the passenger side wheelhouse blasted. The blast hose needs to be about twice as long as it now is because I had to keep moving the hopper so I could get at different angles to get into all the nooks and crannies of the panel.

It's funny... takes longer to sweep up the sand and sift it than it does to go thru 100lbs of sand! Hopefully I'll have it all figured out and tweaked before I attack the frame and engine compartment....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2013 at 12:03PM
Joe,I use a huge tarp when blasting.When the hopper is empty,i just pick up the corners of the tarp.Then shovel up the sand and strain it through an old metal food strainer as it goes back into the pot.After reusing it a few times it loses its bite.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2013 at 11:22AM
John,

Yeah, when I blasted and painted the rear section of my frame/undercarriage, I had plastic on the floor and a plastic tent across the rear half of the car to contain the sand and it worked pretty good. When we got the pressurized blaster, we decided to use one of the old paint booths as a blast room so we could tackle larger items.

I vacuum up the medium and sift it into 5 gallon buckets so it's a bit easier to refill the hopper. Think I'm gonna start sifting it a second time as it goes into the hopper because I got a clog in the blaster this weekend that put a stop to my progress, so next weekend I'll break down the system and clean her out. I also want to get a longer blast hose because the one that came with the Eastwood setup is only about 6 foot long. I'm 6'4" and by the time I pull it up over my shoulder to give me better control of things, I'm on a very short leash and I have to keep stopping and repositioning the blaster.

If I increase to a longer hose, will that affect my medium velocity adversly and reduce my cutting power? I'm looking at getting 10-20 foot of 1/2" ID x 1 1/16" OD two ply x 150PSI Goodyear premium quality black sand blast hose.

All suggestions/comments appreciated....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2013 at 1:51PM
Joe, i'd think a 20 ft hose would be too long,10 to 12ft would be plenty.I'm 6'4" as well.I like to keep the pot fairly close to me when  blasting,seems like I'm always adjusting the sand flow.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2013 at 2:50PM
Thanks John..... 12 foot it is then!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2013 at 11:26AM
Nothing new to report on the Tomato but I DID get her older sister up and running for use in an upcoming commercial to be shot locally about our three long time hot dog stands....

However, stay tuned for more............

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2013 at 2:02PM
That's COOL.Clap
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2013 at 11:37AM
Another weekend with little Torino progress. I DID get my new 12' sandblaster hose installed, but the bulk of the morning was spent polishing the paint on the wagon for the upcoming commercial...

My brutha Jim doing his magic.....

Until next time........

Edited by TV 2M8O - 29-June-2013 at 11:38AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2013 at 2:16AM
That is a sweet lookin wagon. Before I bought my 78 Mustang II, a buddy of mine told me that he might have to sell his 64 Ranch wagon. I checked with him and he told me that he was gonna keep it. Now a month later after buying my 78, His car has appeared on Clist. Kinda pisses me off, I wanted that car bad.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2013 at 9:18AM
Well after several weekends doing other things, I finally got to go over and work on the Tomato again today. I now have both front wheelhouses blasted.....

I changed the 6 foot media hose on my Eastwood sandblaster to a 12 footer and it made things a whole lot easier by having more ability to move around the piece without having to drag along the blaster!

I also came to the conclusion that sandblasting is NOT a summer friendly task! Once you get all garbed up, you have to contend with your body heat rising, your hood visor fogging up from your hot, moist breath exiting your respirator as well as moisture in the air line semi-clogging your media! Not to mention the sand in your crack.... FUN FUN FUN!! LOL

Next major component to tackle... the core support. Then the fun of blasting the chassis will commence!!!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 03-August-2013 at 9:19AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2013 at 2:50AM
Well, got the ole girl back on the ground in preparation of rolling her into the booth to start sandblasting the frame and firewall...

I pulled the hinges so I could prep the hinge posts and strip the hinges and got about 75% of the driver's side post prepped.... (sorry for the poor image quality. Deb has the digital camera with her on her trip to Vegas!!)

Just not a lot you can get done working only 4 or 5 hours a week (if you're lucky) on a project of this magnatude, but baby steps are better than NO STEPS!

Until next time...

Edited by TV 2M8O - 08-September-2013 at 2:52AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2013 at 9:58AM
Well it must not be meant for me to work a full day on the Tomato!! I was moving right along and then suddenly my angle head grinder let go! Friggin Harbor Freight junk.... so I ordered a new Ampro A3028 Gearless Angle Head Die Grinder.
Here is what I accomplished on the Torino before the tool failed...

I painted the head for the red engine stand and putzed around on a few other monor things before calling it a day. Damn and was really making some progress for a little while!!!

Until next time...

Edited by TV 2M8O - 16-September-2013 at 9:20AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2013 at 9:35AM
Well my new angle head and air chuck arrived.....

and I put the angle head right to work....

until I ran outta Scotch-Brite pads! DAMN and was really getting the firewall and hinge posts looking good! Oh well, pack to Amazon for more supplies!!! LOL

Until next week....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2013 at 1:33PM
Looking great!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2013 at 2:14PM
x2..  looks great.  more than what I did to my car.  excellent work
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2013 at 8:35AM
Well, I got the scotch-brite pads and finished stripping the firewall. I also got the charcoal canister, frame reinforcement braces and alternator rubber water shield removed. Now to roll the ole girl into the booth, get her up in the air and... sandblast the rest of the underbody and chassis. I'll also drop the rearend so I can clean, rebuild and detail everything back there. Think I can get her ready for the boys at F3 before the holidays?? I sure hope so!!

I ran off and forgot my camera this morning, so sorry for the poor quality cell phone pics!!

More to come...

Edited by TV 2M8O - 19-October-2013 at 2:08PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2013 at 9:45AM

Blasted... Part 2

Have made some progress since last installment. I got the firewall and door posts stripped....

and also got the ole girl moved into the booth and up in the air so the sandblasting of the chassis can begin....

While she's in the booth, I'll drop the front and rear suspensions from the car so I can get the chassis blasted really good and rebuild and detail everything as necessary as I put it all back together.

More to come....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 05-October-2013 at 10:01AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2013 at 2:11PM
With the car up in the air it's Suspension Time. Please have a look at my topic under the '72-'76 Ford & Mercury header titled SUSPENSION SETUP - Time to decide....

and weigh in with your suggestions.

MANY THANKS

Edited by TV 2M8O - 18-October-2013 at 2:12PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 41>